Re-grade the Staff

Grade the staff performance so far  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How has the Hoiberg staff performed so far, as of 9 p.m. CDT, 5/15/19?

• A+ I'm only going A+ because A++++++++ was not an option.
    • A+ They had a ... and then there was this ... and I went outside for just TWO SECONDS and the ... and it's just. Whoa.
    • A+ Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh. OH. MY. GOSH. I'm going to go to bed and wake up and it'll be November. Please!
    • A There are, like, five Rivals 5-stars who are still undecided and they didn't land any of them, so ...
    • B+ Grade inflation is a terrible thing. When I was in college we walked to school in the snow. Uphill. Both ways. Get off my lawn.
    • B or lower. I'm actually a Creighton fan and I opened this account to troll Husker fans, but actually, nice work. We are so screwed.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I honestly don't see which of these players people would have been critical of if Miles had recruited them instead.  Even if you cherry-pick the bottom three or four.

What did Dube Okeke have that Derrick Walker doesn't have? Except immediate eligibility? What did Jeriah Horne have that Kevin Cross doesn't? What did Jordy Tschimanga have that Yvan Ouedraogo doesn't have?

I mean, I don't see that anyone would have criticized Miles for any of these players, and they would have been pretty damned elated with Miles for landing quite a few of them.

And, in terms of volume, we got 3 recruiting cycles worth of players we would have been thrilled to land in the past ... in 1 month.

I think you are right in the big picture. We are in the honeymoon stage and everything that Fred does right now is great. And I will readily admit that pretty much everything that has happened since he got here has been great. And maybe Miles first couple of years all of these recruits would have been well received. After six years there is always the group that wants to start over and for that group pretty much anything Miles did would be a bad thing. So I think it is more certain people's patience had run out and I understand that. I also think that there are several people who don't understand that they are doing that and contradict themselves without ever noticing. 

I listened to Sip evaluate the new squad and he said he also wants to wait to see the on the floor product. His examples were the unknowns. "What if Jervay isn't all that he is built up to be? What if Cam won't play and defense?" That sort of thing. Thrilled to death with the directions things are going, but I'm going to wait until the end to make a final judgment. You can drive all the way to California and find out Wally World is closed ya know. 

2 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I think you are right in the big picture. We are in the honeymoon stage and everything that Fred does right now is great. And I will readily admit that pretty much everything that has happened since he got here has been great. And maybe Miles first couple of years all of these recruits would have been well received. After six years there is always the group that wants to start over and for that group pretty much anything Miles did would be a bad thing. So I think it is more certain people's patience had run out and I understand that. I also think that there are several people who don't understand that they are doing that and contradict themselves without ever noticing. 

I listened to Sip evaluate the new squad and he said he also wants to wait to see the on the floor product. His examples were the unknowns. "What if Jervay isn't all that he is built up to be? What if Cam won't play and defense?" That sort of thing. Thrilled to death with the directions things are going, but I'm going to wait until the end to make a final judgment. You can drive all the way to California and find out Wally World is closed ya know. 

I agree. We won't know what the finished product looks like until we see it on the floor, and it's certainly possible Jervay, for example, doesn't live up to the hype right away. After all, it generally takes jucos at least a semester to acclimate. But if you just look at things prospectively and ask yourself has the staff done a good job of putting the program in a position to be successful the first year, you'd have to say they have. At least I would.

11 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I agree. We won't know what the finished product looks like until we see it on the floor, and it's certainly possible Jervay, for example, doesn't live up to the hype right away. After all, it generally takes jucos at least a semester to acclimate. But if you just look at things prospectively and ask yourself has the staff done a good job of putting the program in a position to be successful the first year, you'd have to say they have. At least I would.

Yes, that is what I said. Right up there ⏫⏫ It's the one just above yours. ?

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think what the staff has done so far is nothing short of astonishing, taking into consideration the timeframes involved.

I'm looking for the option:   "WOAH!!!!    We're in Uncharted Territory Here!!!!"

But, as Norm goes on to add:

"The proof is obviously in the eating of the pudding.  But as of this moment in time, I can't see giving this staff a grade of less than an A."

This poll was for Fred’s first class....Roster Building 101.  Definitely earned an A+ all things considered.

Next semester he will have a heavier course load. Chemistry, Psychology and whatever correlates to learning basketball plays....

I will go out on a limb and say Norm will have an end of the season poll circa April 2020.  I hope we are still doling out A’s on that one!

7 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

If you surmise that the longer you are at a school and able to start relationships with kids when they're 15,16, the better you get you can come to the conclusion that Hoiberg's staff's floor in recruiting is around the same level as Miles' ceiling.  

The other thing that will be key in this is loyalty. How long can we keep Matt/Armon onboard? It doesn't help momentum when you're having to patch up the staff every season. I'm not worried about Doc at all. Matt seems pretty damn loyal. Armon has less reason to stick around, and is the wildcard in the continuity equation. Compare that with the Miles era, where it was pretty much a revolving door of coaches.

This staff has the potential to be pretty incredible (relative to Nebrasketball history). Let's all make sacrifices/build shrines to our various gods/deities/spaghetti monsters to ensure that happens. Please?

I couldn't go higher than an A.

Keeping Green (and Burke) and adding Cam is huge. 

So the JUCO portion of the class looks like an A++

That said I expected a bit more on the transfer market. We landed a lot of good players and I really like the group as a whole - not seeing any real reaches.

BUT when I look at who I would consider the top 25 available transfers.. we were never in the picture or even remotely mentioned as being even looked at by any of my top 10. Whereas teams like Iowa and Minnesota and Alabama were. - note I never expected to land any of the top 10 but did think Fred at least would get us mentioned as getting a look.

And the only one I had in my top 20 that even sniffed Nebraska ended up going to Marquette.

For more than an A I think we needed to land 1-2 of those top 25.