Re-grade the Staff

Grade the staff performance so far  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How has the Hoiberg staff performed so far, as of 9 p.m. CDT, 5/15/19?

• A+ I'm only going A+ because A++++++++ was not an option.
    • A+ They had a ... and then there was this ... and I went outside for just TWO SECONDS and the ... and it's just. Whoa.
    • A+ Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh. OH. MY. GOSH. I'm going to go to bed and wake up and it'll be November. Please!
    • A There are, like, five Rivals 5-stars who are still undecided and they didn't land any of them, so ...
    • B+ Grade inflation is a terrible thing. When I was in college we walked to school in the snow. Uphill. Both ways. Get off my lawn.
    • B or lower. I'm actually a Creighton fan and I opened this account to troll Husker fans, but actually, nice work. We are so screwed.

I'm still at an incomplete. If by any chance Roby comes back then I see the roster as an A+. Still worried about the interior. Maybe they will be great and maybe not - they are awfully young. You don't get your final grade in a class until it is over, so I'm waiting to see the end product on the court. I'm am thrilled to death with what Hoiberg has gotten done at this point. I'm too easily annoyed so I'm annoyed by some people gushing on the last couple of signings who I know would have been, "Why is Miles bringing in these three-star players. We need to upgrade the talent." Regardless, things are looking up for Nebraska Basketball.

20 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I'm still at an incomplete. If by any chance Roby comes back then I see the roster as an A+. Still worried about the interior. Maybe they will be great and maybe not - they are awfully young. You don't get your final grade in a class until it is over, so I'm waiting to see the end product on the court. I'm am thrilled to death with what Hoiberg has gotten done at this point. I'm too easily annoyed so I'm annoyed by some people gushing on the last couple of signings who I know would have been, "Why is Miles bringing in these three-star players. We need to upgrade the talent." Regardless, things are looking up for Nebraska Basketball.

To be fair, one of those three stars was a four star on ESPN and had been committed to two programs better than ours. 

Walker... I don’t know enough about him, but he’s a bit of a head scratcher. 

25 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I think what the staff has done so far is nothing short of astonishing, taking into consideration the timeframes involved.

I don't see a Sergej Vucetic among the players Hoiberg has brought in.  They didn't get everyone they wanted, but they got an awful lot. And they got most of the pieces they would want to have to build a roster.

I wouldn't say any of these kids are reaches and I've evaluated them the same way I would have evaluated them if Miles was recruiting them. I think Rivals rankings are interesting and a good general guide, but I've always preferred watching whatever video I can to draw my own conclusions.  And I've never been shy about saying what I think about players and straying from the Rivals ranking from time to time.  (Recent example would be Mac McClung whom I was astonished wasn't ranked and said so before he ever played a game in college -- and then he averages 13.1 ppg as a true freshman at G'town last year.)

Like I said, I don't see these guys as being reaches, the players Hoiberg has brought in. And I wouldn't have criticized Miles or questioned him if he'd gotten any of these same commits, except for the one I questioned Hoiberg on, which is the big kid from Tennessee who has to sit out a year. But I'm going to assume he knows what he wants and has a reason for wanting that particular guy.

The proof is obviously in the eating of the pudding.  But as of this moment in time, I can't see giving this staff a grade of less than an A.

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

Maybe because Miles, after 6 years, would bring in players like Thor and Amir Harris this time of year, while Hoiberg and Abdelmassih, with 1 month to work, have brought in:

A guy who was a 4 star on ESPN and previously committed to Xavier and Cincinnati

A guy who was just a backup PF to Grant Williams and Admiral Schofield on a team that was a Top 10 team all last year

A 17 year old French kid whom NBA insiders are tweeting about

39 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

Maybe because Miles, after 6 years, would bring in players like Thor and Amir Harris this time of year, while Hoiberg and Abdelmassih, with 1 month to work, have brought in:

A guy who was a 4 star on ESPN and previously committed to Xavier and Cincinnati

A guy who was just a backup PF to Grant Williams and Admiral Schofield on a team that was a Top 10 team all last year

A 17 year old French kid whom NBA insiders are tweeting about

Xavier Johnson compares pretty well to Curtis and Dachon Burke is probably a higher level profile transfer than Walker. Matt A hasn't necessarily pulled guys that are higher rated than what Miles did....the truly impressive part is the speed at which it occurred. 

If you surmise that the longer you are at a school and able to start relationships with kids when they're 15,16, the better you get you can come to the conclusion that Hoiberg's staff's floor in recruiting is around the same level as Miles' ceiling.  

I mean...Tim's first class:

PF Leslee Smith, 6-8 - JUCO picked NU over SLU

SG Tai Webster, 6-3 - Int'l Prospect - picked NU over LSU, Pitt, Wake, Virginia, SMU, St. Mary's

SG Nick Fuller, 6-7 - picked NU over Minn

SG Nathan Hawkins, 6-5 - picked NU over Albany, Lehigh, KSU, OkSt

PG Tim Wagner, 6-3 - no other offers?

Fred's first class:

PG Cam Mack, 6-2 - #2 JUCO in Nation.  Picked NU over Gonzaga, Texas Tch, UCLA, Oregon, USC, A&M, Utah

SG Jervay Green, 6-3 - #3 JUCO in Nation.  Picked NU over Houston, TCU (re-recruited by NU)

SF Shamiel Stevenson, 6-6 - Transfer from Pitt. Picked NU over Arkansas

PF Yvan Ouegraogo, 6-8 - Picked NU over Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, TCU

SG Haanif Cheatham, 6-5 - Grad Transfer from FGCU.  Picked NU over Arizona, Arkansas, Cincy, Va Tech

SF Matej Kavas, 6-8 - Grad Transfer from Seattle.  #7 3-pt shooter nationally in 2018-19.

PF Kevin Cross, 6-9 - Picked NU over OkSt, Arkansas, TCU

PG Samari Curtis, 6-4 - USA Today POY in Ohio.  #9 scorer in state history. Picked NU over Xavier, Cincy, Va Tech

SF Dalano Banton, 6-8 - (Sit-Out) Transfer from WKU.  Picked NU over various.

PF Derrick Walker, 6-8 - (Sit-Out) Transfer from Tennessee.

Yo.

11 minutes ago, OurDecay said:

SG Tai Webster, 6-3 - Int'l Prospect - picked NU over LSU, Pitt, Wake, Virginia, SMU, St. Mary's

Fred's first class:

PG Cam Mack, 6-2 - #2 JUCO in Nation.  Picked NU over Gonzaga, Texas Tch, UCLA, Oregon, USC, A&M, Utah

SG Jervay Green, 6-3 - #3 JUCO in Nation.  Picked NU over Houston, TCU (re-recruited by NU)

SG Haanif Cheatham, 6-5 - Grad Transfer from FGCU.  Picked NU over Arizona, Arkansas, Cincy, Va Tech

SF Matej Kavas, 6-8 - Grad Transfer from Seattle.  #7 3-pt shooter nationally in 2018-19.

PG Samari Curtis, 6-4 - USA Today POY in Ohio.  #9 scorer in state history. Picked NU over Xavier, Cincy, Va Tech

Yo.

Actually if you want to compare Tim's first class from when he was hired in March to Hoiberg's, his first class was actually Sergej Vucetic (bust), Deverll Biggs (bust), Walter Pitchford (solid contributor) and Terran Petteway (sat out his first year before becoming a real player, but no one expected what we got out of him when we signed him). 

Edited by GoBigFred

5 minutes ago, OurDecay said:

Fred's first class:

Yo.

More of an apples-to-apples comparison with Miles would be:

Sergej Vucetic

Terran Petteway

Walter Pitchford

Deverell Biggs

And re-recruited

Shavon Shields

Benny Parker

14 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Xavier Johnson compares pretty well to Curtis and Dachon Burke is probably a higher level profile transfer than Walker. Matt A hasn't necessarily pulled guys that are higher rated than what Miles did....the truly impressive part is the speed at which it occurred. 

If you surmise that the longer you are at a school and able to start relationships with kids when they're 15,16, the better you get you can come to the conclusion that Hoiberg's staff's floor in recruiting is around the same level as Miles' ceiling.  

No doubt that Tim brought in some very good players. I actually think his biggest strength was getting better players to come here than previous coaches did. 

But yes like you said, in just 1 month Hoiberg has brought in players as good or better than Miles was doing with 5-6 years of recruiting and establishing relationships. That was my point. 

We just signed Ohio's Mr. Basketball on the last day of the high school signing period with like three weeks of communication with the kid. It's incredible. 

2 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

I honestly don't see which of these players people would have been critical of if Miles had recruited them instead.  Even if you cherry-pick the bottom three or four.

What did Dube Okeke have that Derrick Walker doesn't have? Except immediate eligibility? What did Jeriah Horne have that Kevin Cross doesn't? What did Jordy Tschimanga have that Yvan Ouedraogo doesn't have?

I mean, I don't see that anyone would have criticized Miles for any of these players, and they would have been pretty damned elated with Miles for landing quite a few of them.

And, in terms of volume, we got 3 recruiting cycles worth of players we would have been thrilled to land in the past ... in 1 month.