Derrick Walker is N

GATA

“Derrick is a physical player who gives us skill and versatility in the post. He has played in big games over the last two years, and his experience will be an asset for us with so many newcomers on the roster.” - Coach Fred Hoiberg

Kansas City, MO native Derrick Walker will transfer and sit out a redshirt year at Nebraska after playing two seasons for Rick Barnes at Tennessee. After a promising freshman year Walker saw his playing time decrease and decided to enter the transfer portal on May 1st. Two weeks later after an unpublicized visit to Nebraska, Walker committed to the Huskers in part because of his long time relationship with Nebraska assistant Matt Abdelmassih.  Abdelmassih and St. John's were one of the finalists the first time around after Walker finished his postgrad year at Sunrise Christian Academy. Prior to his two years at the Kansas Prep school he was a two star athlete at Raytown High school where he also starred as a wide receiver at the former high school of Tyronn Lue.

Walker clocks in at 6'8" 235# and his size and lack of perimeter shooting should slot him as a center for Nebraska. The noted rebounder and verbal leader will have a year to work on his offense and physicality while acting as a mentor and measuring stick for the Huskers young post players.

View full article

4 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

We’ve added four beefy, physically imposing dudes in the last 6 days. It’d be fun to be at practice and watch Shamiel, Yvan, Cross and Walker compete. This is an incredibly balanced roster that was put together in about a month.

Right. Even if Walker isn't immediately eligible, his presence in practice will help prepare Cross and Ouedraogo for the Big Ten season.

I love these additions, this feels like a Big Ten team, a Michigan State style team, imposing physically tough, but none of them are slow plodders, they appear to be athletic, and skilled. We have tough guards that get to the rack. This team is going to be so much fun to watch. Really looking forward to what he can add for the 2020 class. 

Roby will not be back. What will be interesting in the fall is how the pundits will rank NU in the preseason polls, with a new coaching staff and players who have not yet stepped on a Big 10 court. It will be anybody's guess, but I will be surprised if we are picked in the top 1/2 of the league by outside observers or if we are not picked in the top 4 by those of us at HHC.

Roby will not be back. What will be interesting in the fall is how the pundits will rank NU in the preseason polls, with a new coaching staff and players who have not yet stepped on a Big 10 court. It will be anybody's guess, but I will be surprised if we are picked in the top 1/2 of the league by outside observers or if we are not picked in the top 4 by those of us at HHC.
I'll pick us outside the top 4 Jimmy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Imma go ahead and pick us at 14. My brain says we have too many question marks.

But my heart is all

giphy.gif

This eight-man rotation finished 10th in a 12-team league:

• Dylan Talley
  • Ray Gallegos
  • Brandon Ubel
  • Shavon Shields
  • David Rivers
  • Andre Almeida
  • Benny Parker
  • Mike Peltz/Jordan Tyrance

How will this eight-man rotation finish in a 14-team league?

• Cam Mack
  • Jervay Green
  • Dachon Burke
  • Haanif Cheatham
  • Matej Kavas
  • Shamiel Stevenson
  • Yvan Ouedraogo
  • Kevin Cross