How long will it take us to hit stride?

How long?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. How long for the Hoiberg era of Husker hoops to hit stride and field the kind of team we'll expect to see?

• Right away, year 1. This is all his roster (basically) and he's brought in pieces to fit every spot on the floor and address every area of need. We have some veteran transfers to give us experience and the players we've signed look like Big Ten caliber recruits.
    • A year away. Still trying to make some pieces fit, and the front court will be very young. Plus the players won't be used to each other and that learning curve will take a good year. But next year, this team looks loaded.
    • Two years. We'll get a glimpse this year of what things are supposed to look like, but it's going to take a full recruiting cycle to get in on the quality of players he'll want in the program. Plus, we'll need to get to the point where we have some veterans with experience and that's probably two seasons away.
    • Three or more seasons. I'm not convinved the recruits we're signing on such short notice will be of the quality we'll need to compete in the Big Ten. We might get some top rated recruits in a year or two, but they'll need some time to develop.

Tim Miles' plan was for us to make the dance in year 3 and we did it in year 2 instead (but then never again.) But in year 1, he was trying to deploy a roster that had some serious holes in it.

Usually, with a  coaching change, it takes some time -- a few full recruiting cycles, anyway -- for a coach to get "his" players in the program and have a chance to develop them to the point where you can say "this is what the finished product is going to look like."

I'm not necessarily talking about the absolute finished product. More about at what point in time we have the pieces in place that we can say this is the kind of team we're expecting "the Hoiberg years" to look like.

How long is that going to take?

I think by game 10 we will have a feel for what we have.  It will take some time for everyone’s roles to be hammered out.  We have a good schedule for this type of season so I don’t think our record will be adversely affected during the feeling out process.  It will be fun to see the growth of the team this year.

1 hour ago, busticket said:

I think by game 10 we will have a feel for what we have.  It will take some time for everyone’s roles to be hammered out.  We have a good schedule for this type of season so I don’t think our record will be adversely affected during the feeling out process.  It will be fun to see the growth of the team this year.

Depending on who can play in Italy, it might happen before that.

I could see things in 19-20 starting about like they did in 13-14 and 17-18 - some really good performances, but some real clunkers too up through New Year's Day. Once the guys have their roles down and the coaches have figured out the rotation, they could surge nicely in league play. How many wins that equals will depend in part on the strength of the league, but I think we'll see some tangible progress once the calendar flips.

That makes this Italy trip so key - we get a nice head start on figuring out those things. The 10 (?) practices we get before we leave will be just as big as the games we play overseas.

As far as long term, i.e., when Coach Hoiberg feels like the program has his full stamp on it, I could see that midway through the 20-21 season or start of the 21-22 season. I think the 20 recruiting class, and when exactly those guys can play at a B1G level, will be the determining factor as to how fast it happens.. There are some nice players coming in for 19-20 - we did far better than I could've imagined we would in this 2-month stretch - but I think the coaches will show off their recruiting chops in that 20 class ... and that's when things really take off.

2 minutes ago, throwback said:

I could see things in 19-20 starting about like they did in 13-14 and 17-18 - some really good performances, but some real clunkers too up through New Year's Day. Once the guys have their roles down and the coaches have figured out the rotation, they could surge nicely in league play. How many wins that equals will depend in part on the strength of the league, but I think we'll see some tangible progress once the calendar flips.

That makes this Italy trip so key - we get a nice head start on figuring out those things. The 10 (?) practices we get before we leave will be just as big as the games we play overseas.

As far as long term, i.e., when Coach Hoiberg feels like the program has his full stamp on it, I could see that midway through the 20-21 season or start of the 21-22 season. I think the 20 recruiting class, and when exactly those guys can play at a B1G level, will be the determining factor as to how fast it happens.. There are some nice players coming in for 19-20 - we did far better than I could've imagined we would in this 2-month stretch - but I think the coaches will show off their recruiting chops in that 20 class ... and that's when things really take off.

How about 11-12?

I think we scored pretty well in the immediately-eligible transfer department (presuming Stevenson gets his waiver.)  If those guys -- Cheatham, Kavas and Stevenson -- had been on the roster already and we just added a recruiting class that included Mack, Green, Arop, Ouedraogo and Cross, I think we'd feel pretty good with where we'd be heading into the season.

31 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

How about 11-12?

Yeah I could see that. I prefer the way 13-14 and 17-18 finished though. ?

All 3 of those seasons had multiple key (non-freshman) newcomers, so I can see the similarities. I think the 13-14 and 17-18 newcomers had a bigger role collectively than 11-12 newcomers, as there were a lot of returning seniors on that team and some key juniors (I mean Talley only started 1 game on that 11-12 team), but still a lot of similarities

Of course the 19-20 newcomers are a whole different level versus any of those other seasons.

Edited by throwback

1 hour ago, throwback said:

Yeah I could see that. I prefer the way 13-14 and 17-18 finished though. ?

All 3 of those seasons had multiple key (non-freshman) newcomers, so I can see the similarities. I think the 13-14 and 17-18 newcomers had a bigger role collectively than 11-12 newcomers, as there were a lot of returning seniors on that team and some key juniors (I mean Talley only started 1 game on that 11-12 team), but still a lot of similarities

Of course the 19-20 newcomers are a whole different level versus any of those other seasons.

I'm talking 11-12 at ISU where they reached the round of 32.

I could definitely see 2020-21 being a huge year for us. Dachon, Jervay, and Cam will have a whole season under their belts (a season where all three will probably log heavy minutes). Also a young front court of Arop, Cross, and Ouedraogo will all have had a year for Hoiberg to shape their body and play to how they envision them. Plus Stevenson and Banton.

2019-2020 could be good depending on how everyone mixes together and how ready our freshmen trio of forwards are to play.

33 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm talking 11-12 at ISU where they reached the round of 32.

I'd take that finish to this season 100 times out of 100, and I'll defer to your knowledge on that subject. 

After all, I can barely pretend to know what I'm talking about with NU hoops. There's no chance in hell I can pull that off for ISU hoops. The last thing I need is to be Internet shamed on here by some random ISU fan for my lack of Clone hoops knowledge.

(And I know you're lurking out there Clone fans. Coveting our coach is bad form, by the way. You've got your guy. And we've got your better guy.)

37 minutes ago, trickey said:

I had to pick the first year because every year I convince myself this is the year for our first tournament win.

This year it's easier than most!

If Cam Mack can channel DeAndre Kane and Kevin is the second coming of Niang anything is possible.

I'd take that finish to this season 100 times out of 100, and I'll defer to your knowledge on that subject. 

After all, I can barely pretend to know what I'm talking about with NU hoops. There's no chance in hell I can pull that off for ISU hoops. The last thing I need is to be Internet shamed on here by some random ISU fan for my lack of Clone hoops knowledge.

(And I know you're lurking out there Clone fans. Coveting our coach is bad form, by the way. You've got your guy. And we've got your better guy.)

I know LaFester Rhoads had a 50+ point game & that Barry Stevens was BETTER than Jeff Grayer...

There's no chance in hell I can pull that off for ISU hoops. The last thing I need is to be Internet shamed on here by some random ISU fan for my lack of Clone hoops knowledge.

Here are two things I know for sure: Iowa State has a lower all-time winning percentage than Nebraska, and Nebraska leads the head-to-head series.

Man...I had to pick year one. In some other thread I stated I was highly skeptical of Hoibergs ability to bring in all these talented recruits/transfers I read about on here. Boy was I wrong. To me he has nailed this. This looks as talented top to bottom team going into a season as we have had or at least close. If these kids want to make it to the NBA then I am assuming they are coming in here to learn and bust their hump. That's what I am going with. Legendary status year one walk off tourney win. Why not?