Thor's shot

khoock

The roster is starting to take shape. Only one scholarship left at the moment!

In my free time I have been trying to piece together the roster and sort out roles. I know maybe its a little early but i cant help myself.

My question for some of you on here is, how is Thorir's shot? We all know the percentages werent amazing but why? Does he have poor mechanics? Does he not get it off fast enough or enough lift in his jump shot? Is he just lacking confidence/consistency?

Thanks.

Probably some combination of the many things you listed, but I think the last (confidence/consistency) is huge for a bit/role player not really counted on to score.

From personal experience, as the end of the bench guy on a really good Class B high school team back in the day who usually got about 1 minute of playing time at the end of the 2nd quarter because 1 of the regulars was sucking air so bad they could hardly walk (we were usually up by double digits by that point), suffice it to say I was scared to death to even get the ball let alone shoot it.  I was not a good shooter but whatever mechanics I had practiced went straight out the window on the few shots I hoisted in live action.

I'm not insinuating that Thor is scared, but I think there's always that little bit of hesitancy for guys who get such little playing time.

I don't think Thor's mechanics are all that bad, but playing so little and shooting so few shots over a season make it really difficult to be effective, unless you're just a natural shooter.

I loved how easy it was for Thor to drive to the bucket what little he played before injuries required him to play. So because of that I watched him shoot in warmups and he didn’t shoot much at all. When balls came to him he passed them on to starters like he wasn’t even interested in shooting. It seemed really weird.

I do remember one free throw that he shot off the palm of his hand not even touching the ball with his fingertips! I almost threw up I was so disgusted. As the season went on he used his fingertips more but that is how bad his shooting fundamentals were.

As out team learns Hoiberg’s spacing fundamentals the driving lanes should be open for Thor to make layups or dish it back out for rhythm three’s. That’s if he plays at all.

His Iceland shooting was horrible especially his shot selection.   His form bugs the crap out of me!  That's why I had to post.

IMHO Thor will never be a high percentage shooter until he changes his shooting grip and shot selection.   I am basing this mostly off his play at FIBA.  He puts his off hand either on top of the ball or way high on the ball.  It reminds me of the claw that Baron Von Rasky used to do.    Occasionally it will be on the side but not very often.    This  means he has to take his top hand  off the ball really earlier to shoot the ball.   That  means  he's shooting one handed  shots with no guidance from the off  hand.   Notice where his fingers are pointing on his off hand and where his off hand is.  His fingers are pointing up.   His off hand is sometimes behind the ball or at angle on the side and behind.   I think he would be better served to have his off hand on the side of the ball with the fingers in line with the hoop.   Then when you shoot the ball  it is somewhat sliding along the offhand inline with the basket at the start of the shot or at the least it's lined up pointing at the  basket.  Everything should point at the basket as far as hands IMO.

2nd he has his shooting elbow sticking out at an angle.   Very hard to be consistent with your shot when your form is different because your elbow is sticking out at different angles.   Much easier to be consistent if your elbow  is  tucked in and your arm is  in line with the basket.  

Third he has it flat on his palm which makes for a slower release.  I was taught not to have it laying flat on your palm.  Now I have seen some good shooters that do it that way and they were okay so this is not as eggregious perhaps but I think it does make for a slower release.  

The link has some photos.  Photos 30,56,57 and 58 are important in this discussion.  Unfortunately I couldn't find a good example with both hands on the ball.  

There are a lot of ways to shoot a ball and if you have good muscle memory and shoot enough any form can work but for putz's like me it helps to have good form.   It's like golf.  Grip means a lot as errors can compound easily. 

http://www.huskers.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&SPID=24&BIO_PLAYER_ID=3119586&KEY=

Edited by REDitus

9 hours ago, khoock said:

My question for some of you on here is, how is Thorir's shot? We all know the percentages werent amazing but why? Does he have poor mechanics? Does he not get it off fast enough or enough lift in his jump shot? Is he just lacking confidence/consistency?

Those same questions arose ? about Standhardinger...

3 hours ago, royalfan said:

Didn’t look near as bad shooting when I watched clips of him playing for Iceland.  

I think Thorir's release is way, way too slow for Big Ten guards. Maybe he's able to get shots off against players in other countries. It would be a B1G deal if Thorbjarnarson could develop reliably good three-ball range and be able to work on his release so he can play sub minutes. He has the moxie and the passing to be effective in the Big Ten, he's at least proved that much already.

3 hours ago, REDitus said:

His Iceland shooting was horrible especially his shot selection.   His form bugs the crap out of me!  That's why I had to post.

IMHO Thor will never be a high percentage shooter until he changes his shooting grip and shot selection.   I am basing this mostly off his play at FIBA.  He puts his off hand either on top of the ball or way high on the ball.  It reminds me of the claw that Baron Von Rasky used to do.    Occasionally it will be on the side but not very often.    This  means he has to take his top hand  off the ball really earlier to shoot the ball.   That  means  he's shooting one handed  shots with no guidance from the off  hand.   Notice where his fingers are pointing on his off hand and where his off hand is.  His fingers are pointing up.   His off hand is sometimes behind the ball or at angle on the side and behind.   I think he would be better served to have his off hand on the side of the ball with the fingers in line with the hoop.   Then when you shoot the ball  it is somewhat sliding along the offhand inline with the basket at the start of the shot or at the least it's lined up pointing at the  basket.  Everything should point at the basket as far as hands IMO.

2nd he has his shooting elbow sticking out at an angle.   Very hard to be consistent with your shot when your form is different because your elbow is sticking out at different angles.   Much easier to be consistent if your elbow  is  tucked in and your arm is  in line with the basket.  

Third he has it flat on his palm which makes for a slower release.  I was taught not to have it laying flat on your palm.  Now I have seen some good shooters that do it that way and they were okay so this is not as eggregious perhaps but I think it does make for a slower release.  

The link has some photos.  Photos 30,56,57 and 58 are important in this discussion.  Unfortunately I couldn't find a good example with both hands on the ball.  

There are a lot of ways to shoot a ball and if you have good muscle memory and shoot enough any form can work but for putz's like me it helps to have good form.   It's like golf.  Grip means a lot as errors can compound easily. 

http://www.huskers.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&SPID=24&BIO_PLAYER_ID=3119586&KEY=

You may have some points on his form but his horrible shot selection for Iceland isn't all on him. If you watched them play they all had a horrible shot selection. It had to be coming from the bench since everyone on the team was in on it. btw - substitution rotation also made no sense.

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

You may have some points on his form but his horrible shot selection for Iceland isn't all on him. If you watched them play they all had a horrible shot selection. It had to be coming from the bench since everyone on the team was in on it. btw - substitution rotation also made no sense.

Point taken.   I didn't really think about that as I was focused on Thor specifically.

On 5/14/2019 at 5:04 PM, REDitus said:

Multiple up arrows for referencing Baron Von Raschke while still in single-digit posts!