John Beilein to coach the Cleveland Cavilers

hhcmatt

28 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Be careful what you wish for John, that Cleveland roster stinks worse than Lake Erie. They had a list on KFAN today from Mpls of the next 5 most likely College coaches to jump. Some where surprising due to age, Coach K, Izzo the 5th believe it or not was Richard Pitino...

Beilein is 66. He'll be just fine, with or without success at the next level. If it's his dream to coach at that level before he packs it in, then good for him on earning that designation. He was a great ambassador for the conference and NCAA in general, so I wish him all the best.

I was stunned when I first saw this reported, but then read a couple of articles/columns that went deeper.  Given the cess pool that college basketball recruiting has become and the transfer portal creating the need to manage rosters on a 24/7/365 basis with no guarantees, it starts to make more sense. I hate it because I think the game needs more people like John Beilein, not fewer: 

CBS Sports: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/why-john-beilein-leaving-michigan-and-jumping-to-the-cavaliers-makes-a-lot-more-sense-than-you-think/

SI: https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/05/13/michigan-john-beilein-cavs-nba-ncaa

2 hours ago, 49r said:

Robin Washut said this morning on KNTK that he's been hearing a lot of buzz about Porter Mosier as a possible replacement for Beilein.

That would be fantastic...for us. From one of the top 10 college coaches in the nation to a guy with a career .521 win percentage as a mid-major coach who had one miraculous tournament run that could have been a 1st round loss if not for a buzzer beater 3. 

Edited by GoBigFred

22 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

All of the Michigan teams that Jay Williams is advocating for had all their wins vacated. 

Jay Williams said something stupid and got pushback for it so now he’s pretending that what he said wasn’t really what he said and it’s so obvious we should all realize it. 

48 minutes ago, busticket said:

Juwan seems a bit of an Erstad type candidate, but I suppose they are thinking/hoping more of a Hoiberg.  I’d love to see Juwan go a full Chris Mullin on them.

Mullin had no coaching experience whereas Howard has been under Spoelstra for the last few years. 

On 5/20/2019 at 4:35 PM, busticket said:

Ed Cooley is a decent coach but seems a big step back from Belein.  Juwan seems a bit of an Erstad type candidate, but I suppose they are thinking/hoping more of a Hoiberg.  I’d love to see Juwan go a full Chris Mullin on them.

Most hires will be a big step back from Beilein. 

Edited by atskooc

• 3 weeks later...