NCAA rules committee proposes moving back 3-point line to international distance

49r

• hhcmatt changed the title to NCAA rules committee proposes moving back 3-point line to international distance
3 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

Is that the only change they are bringing from the NIT experiment?  They need to change the name of the tournament to the National Experimental Tournament.    

No. Shot clock reset to 20 sec on an offensive rebound. Others:

In addition to the 3-point proposal, by far the biggest potential shift (which could be put into place as soon as the 2020-2021 season), the committee is also recommending a new shot clock reset "to enhance the pace of the game." Other proposals include the recommended use of instant replay during the last two minutes of the second half or the last two minutes of any overtime; the allowance for coaches to call live-ball timeouts in the last two minutes of the second half or of any overtime; and the recommendation that players be assessed a Flagrant 2 technical foul and ejection if they use derogatory language aimed at an opponent regarding race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability.

4 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Why?  I don't mind the 2 half format in college basketball and certainly don't want to allow 6 fouls each games.  Don't see the benefit of letting players foul more.

I like the women's free-throw and team-foul limits based on quarters:

• Four 10-minute quarters
  • First four team fouls in a quarter don't result in free throws.
  • On fifth and every subsequent team foul in a quarter, the opposing team shoots two free throws.

29 minutes ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

I've never understood why men's college basketball goes with 2 halves. It's different than literally every other version of basketball played.

I've been watching games for far too long and I'm too used to watching games with halves now; it's too late to change. 

See the source image

9 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

Is that the only change they are bringing from the NIT experiment?  They need to change the name of the tournament to the National Experimental Tournament.    

I'm just glad the NCAA decided not to do anything with that horrific "Elam Ending" that the TBT uses.

51 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

I've been watching games for far too long and I'm too used to watching games with halves now; it's too late to change.

Agreed. I like two halves way better than four quarters. I dunno, it has a different feel that sorta bothers me about NBA games.

I liked the idea some dude from ESPN threw out there a couple weeks ago for the NBA: Let each team set their own distance for the line. Baseball teams do it and build their teams around their parks.  Basketball should do the same. It would make the league more interesting.