Wondering what anyone thinks about the remaining scholarships...?

Fantastic news today! Stevenson seems a real gem and will be a huge piece of the puzzle going forward. If he isn't exactly a Royce White he is about as close as one could hope. Now, my question to all and sundry Husker fans: what is likely to happen with the remaining 3-4 scholarships? Firstly, do we get Cross? Ntambwe? Do we stand a chance with Figueroa? I know many on this board are more knowledgeable than I but I won't be completely comfortable with the upcoming year's prospects quite yet unless we get prototypical Hoiberg-type big forward. Meaning, a 6'9'-6'11" guy who isn't the typical stiff NU usually has riding the bench. This team is aiming for the stars and that means a mobile, strong, skilled and aggressive big man. Are there still any good, Big Ten quality guys still available at this late date? What is the scuttlebutt? Any rumors?

I want to thank the Lord for sending Fred Hoiberg to us.

1 hour ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Wouldn't Ntambwe possibly be eligible since his coach was fired? Also, Cross would be immediately eligible.

Yes. He'd fit the bill.  Whether we're still in contention is a different story.  I don't know the answer to that, but there hasn't been much noise about him, so I'm guessing his or our interest has waned.  That's possibly not the case, but if he hasn't done anything by now, he's probably looking for other schools to visit or considering returning to UNLV, where he doesn't need a waiver from the NCAA to play next season.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think if you’re talking about someone available for the upcoming season, you’re likely asking for a unicorn. I’m not sure that guy exists for us at this point.

Think there will be another waive if grad xfers over the next few weeks.   Still think we take at least one more 

7 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Think there will be another waive if grad xfers over the next few weeks.   Still think we take at least one more 

Hope you're right. Would like a contingent of scholarship players available to participate in our Italy trip.

And is it the case -- does anyone know? -- that sit-out transfers are ineligible to play in the overseas trip?

20 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Hope you're right. Would like a contingent of scholarship players available to participate in our Italy trip.

And is it the case -- does anyone know? -- that sit-out transfers are ineligible to play in the overseas trip?

I have asked this question before as well.

I do know when we went to Spain, Anton Gill was redshirting that year and did not play in any games. However, I do not know if that was because he was ineligible to or not.

In theory, I think they'll use one scholarship on a grad transfer C (still some available/some will become available), and one on Yvan/Cross.

They seem to want a freshman guard, as a replacement for Amir's spot I'm assuming. Offered both Gary Harris Jr (no clue how high of interest. Haven't seen any nebraska writers say anything either unless I missed it) and Samari Curtis. That's all 3 scholarships open currently. Robys we'll have to wait and see what happens. May 15th is the deadline for the late signing period for freshman and May 29th is the deadline for Roby to decide on staying in. 

That's my best guess as of right now. 

45 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

In theory, I think they'll use one scholarship on a grad transfer C (still some available/some will become available), and one on Yvan/Cross.

They seem to want a freshman guard, as a replacement for Amir's spot I'm assuming. Offered both Gary Harris Jr (no clue how high of interest. Haven't seen any nebraska writers say anything either unless I missed it) and Samari Curtis. That's all 3 scholarships open currently. Robys we'll have to wait and see what happens. May 15th is the deadline for the late signing period for freshman and May 29th is the deadline for Roby to decide on staying in. 

That's my best guess as of right now. 

If they want a guard to replace Amir, the kid from Iowa would be a perfect grad transfer. Really fits the mold of the positionless kid in the 6-5 to 6-6 range who has 3-point ability.

I'd like to see another guy who can guard someone tall who weighs in excess of 250#.

A couple names to throw out there. Not sure if there is interest on either side but someplace to look.

1. Antwan January he’s a 6’11” Illinois  decommit from Cali. Looks like a decent rim protector. 

2. Valdir Manuel

originally committed  seton hall then went to juco. Committed to St Johns then decommitted when Mullin left.

4 minutes ago, rwhiston said:

A couple names to throw out there. Not sure if there is interest on either side but someplace to look.

1. Antwan January he’s a 6’11” Illinois  decommit from Cali. Looks like a decent rim protector. 

2. Valdir Manuel

originally committed  seton hall then went to juco. Committed to St Johns then decommitted when Mullin left.

Antwan committed to New Mexico shortly after he left Illinois

Manuel I would be good with but haven't heard anything on him. I believe the deadline for late signing period is May 15th. Haven't seen him take visits anywhere either

• 5 months later...
On 5/10/2019 at 9:36 PM, rwhiston said:

2. Valdir Manuel