Shamiel Stevenson is N

hhcmatt

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I really would like to know his playing status. How much time does he lose for having played in 4 games his sophomore year at Pitt?  That wipes out his sophomore year.  But then he has to sit a year as a transfer?  Which would take him to mid-December when UN-L has commencement exercises for fall semester? And he'll come in as a junior with basically a year-and-a-half to finish his college career?

If that's how it works out, it seems punitive. Seems like he should either sit until December and be considered a sophomore or be able to play right away as a junior. But to take away 1 1/2 years of eligibility because he played in 4 games as a sophomore before realizing that not transferring after the Pitt coaching change was a big mistake ... well, that seems excessive.

Anyone clear this up for me?

I know I read he had 2 1/2 years left, eligible at the end of the coming fall semester and in all likelihood would get a waiver and get three years. I’m not looking for it right because I’m going to bed.  

18 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I hope you're right. That's the way it ought to be.

I think the most likely scenario is we get him eligible for the start of the season but he only has two years of eligibility left.

I remember Copeland was able to get a year back as well as immediate eligibility. But his case was something along the lines of Georgetown played him his junior year when he wasnt entirely healthy.

I dont know what Stevenson's argument would be. He decided to transfer during the season bc of playing time. Idk if you get waivers for that or else a lot more athletes would do it.

1 minute ago, uneblinstu said:

He won't have less than 2.5 years of eligibility. It'll either be that or 3. It won't be reduced down to two.

Thats what everyone seems to think. I just dont understand the logic behind it, which isnt surprising because the NCAA isnt always the most logical organization.

I get he only played 4 games his sophomore year and only played 30ish minutes but he still played and then chose to leave bc he wasnt playing as much as the year before or as much as he thought he would. If you are able to play part of a year, transfer because you decide you dont like how much you are playing, and not have to worry about losing that year of eligibility then why dont more players do it?

But hey, I would love for my misunderstanding of the NCAA to be completely wrong bc 3 years >>> 2 years.

He played 1.5 years, so he has 2.5 to go. He is being penalized 1 year which he can use his redshirt season for. So no reason to think he has less. If he gets the .5 back they will grant it because 2 coaches have left him and he barely played at all the .5 year at Pitt. Seems pretty straight forward. Hope he gets the waiver, would think there is a good case to be made.

1 minute ago, Art Vandalay said:

He played 1.5 years, so he has 2.5 to go. He is being penalized 1 year which he can use his redshirt season for. So no reason to think he has less. If he gets the .5 back they will grant it because 2 coaches have left him and he barely played at all the .5 year at Pitt. Seems pretty straight forward. Hope he gets the waiver, would think there is a good case to be made.

This. In other words, his transfer/redshirt clock started at the end of the fall 2018 semester, in December of 2018. Technically, he will be eligible one year later, or at the end of the fall 2019 semester, in December 2019. We want him eligible at the start of the fall 2019 semester.

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

Eligibility doesnt work in half years tho. You cant play half a season eight different times and say thats your four years. He played basketball is sophomore year of eligibility so unless they get a waiver (bc it was only 4 games and 30ish minutes) he exhausted his sophomore year of eligibility.

Similiar to Tanner Borchardt. He played one minute his sophomore year in the second half of the season. He did not magically have a half semester of eligibility left just bc he did not play in the first half of the season that sophomore year.

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Eligibility doesnt work in half years tho. You cant play half a season eight different times and say thats your four years. He played basketball is sophomore year of eligibility so unless they get a waiver (bc it was only 4 games and 30ish minutes) he exhausted his sophomore year of eligibility.

Similiar to Tanner Borchardt. He played one minute his sophomore year in the second half of the season. He did not magically have a half semester of eligibility left just bc he did not play in the first half of the season that sophomore year.

Stevenson committed to Nevada on Dec. 20, 2018, at the end of the first semester. Here's the link to a story about his transfer from Pitt to Nevada. It is dated Dec. 20, 2018. His sit-out clock started when he announced he was leaving Pitt, which was on Dec. 17, 2018. So he indeed exhausted only a half-year of his eligibility. You can find that fact in the same article. His transfer redshirt clock will end at the end of the fall 2019 semester. He will have 2.5 seasons to play, at minimum.

Tanner Borchardt was with Nebraska for the entire season, so he couldn't get time back. He didn't play, and he didn't transfer. That's his problem. Stevenson was with Pitt for only a semester last season. He was in Nevada this spring, sitting out the first of his two semesters, per transfer rules. He didn't play because he had already transferred. 

Also, players don't theoretically have eight years to squeeze in eight semesters of being on an active roster. The window is five years to be play four (10 semesters to play eight, with two consecutive semesters to sit out as either a transfer or a redshirt. Stevenson was on the Pitt roster for three semesters (1.5 years), he has sat one semester and has one more to sit (barring a waiver), and will have five semesters left (2.5 years). Sitting because you're not good enough to see the floor does not count as a redshirt or transfer year.

The only question I have if Stevenson doesn't get a waiver to play immediately for Nebraska: When does the semester actually end in the fall? The last day of classes is Saturday, Dec. 14, and finals end Friday, Dec. 20. Can we play Creighton after Dec. 20? Please?

Edited by jayschool

Thanks for some clarification @jayschool on the rule. Seems like a silly rule that is very in favor of the transfer.

Not that it matters to Stevenson's situation, but the year Tanner Borchardt wasted a year of eligibility for 1 min he was not with the team the entire season. He and Trueblood joined mid season (even second semester I wanna say). The only difference is Borchardt played 1 min while Trueblood never played. Which is why Trueblood still had a year left if he wanted to use it, while Borchardt did not.

But I dont wanna muck up Stevenson's thread with discussion on how the NCAAs rules make no sense. Like i said, Stevenson for 3 years >>>

5 hours ago, khoock said:

Seems like a silly rule that is very in favor of the transfer.

What about the new rule in football (started last season)? Where you can play in up to FOUR games (1/3 of the season), not like how things are going exactly, so just quit the team, and still keep that year of eligibility for the next school.

7 hours ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

What about the new rule in football (started last season)? Where you can play in up to FOUR games (1/3 of the season), not like how things are going exactly, so just quit the team, and still keep that year of eligibility for the next school.

I dont mind that one as much bc its equal for the transfer and the true redshirt.

Shamiel Stevenson still gets his half year (and probably whole year back) bc he quit the team and changed schools. Whereas, say a freshman was being redshirted by his coach but gets thrown in to playing time the second half of the season bc of injuries to the team. That player loses the a whole .5+ season that he already redshirted no matter what.

So the rule in basketball Shamiel Stevenson gets 4+ years to play bc he quit and transferred whereas the hypothetical players gets less than 3.5. Now im not knocking Shamiel at all just using that as an example to explain why I think the rule doesnt make sense. In football you can you it as a transfer loophole too, but you can also use it to play 4+ seasons at one school.

• 2 months later...
Just now, huskerbaseball13 said:

I've been out of the game for awhile.

Any word on Stevenson getting a waiver to play this season? Or is that just wishful thinking? I think he is going to be a very important piece of the puzzle.  He can provide some help on the boards for a team that will be needing it. 

Word yesterday is they plan to file the waiver request prior to leaving for Italy. Not sure where I read that so, sorry, but no link.

4 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I've been out of the game for awhile.

Any word on Stevenson getting a waiver to play this season? Or is that just wishful thinking? I think he is going to be a very important piece of the puzzle.  He can provide some help on the boards for a team that will be needing it. 

Just to clear up any misunderstanding,  my understanding is that Stevenson will be eligible to play beginning the second semester this season regardless of what happens with the waiver. If a waiver is approved he would be eligible to play the full season.  It would be nice to have him for the full season.

52 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Just to clear up any misunderstanding,  my understanding is that Stevenson will be eligible to play beginning the second semester this season regardless of what happens with the waiver. If a waiver is approved he would be eligible to play the full season.  It would be nice to have him for the full season.

Correct

My hope is that the NCAA gives the kid 3 years of eligibility. He went through a coaching change at Pitt, considering transferring but was talked out of it, ended up lasting 4 games under the new coach, and transferred after all. Why is an injury any more of a justification for giving a kid a year of his college career back? Both involved circumstances beyond the player's control.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Anyone on rivals? Washut said they had an update on the waiver for Stevenson.

In summary - Waiver request hasn’t been sent in yet, but will be by early next week (they want to make sure they do it right). After that, it’ll likely be a two week process for the NCAA to make a decision.