Shamiel Stevenson is N

hhcmatt

34 minutes ago, khoock said:

What makes him eligible to get his sophomore year back? He choose to transfer after already playing in games his sophomore year bc of playing time, not injuries. So isnt his sophomore year of eligibility already exhausted?

Well, he transferred at the semester break, so he'd at least have 1/2 of his second year left. And he only played in four games (31 total minutes) in the 1/2 he did "use", so the hope would be that the NCAA would continue to be lax, and not see that as a real season of play.

At minimum, he should have 3 years to play 2. Probably, 3 to play 2 1/2. Ideally, 3 to play 3.

Edited by Searching 4 Chester Surles

When I heard Steve Kerr talk about the difficulty of matching the Rockets physicality, referring to Eric Gordon and PJ Tucker as middle linebackers, my mind immediately went to Jervay Green and Shamiel Stevenson. These dudes look like D1 linebackers who happen to be very skilled basketball players.

Mack and Burke carry themselves with a ton of confidence. Cheatham was one of the best perimeter defenders in the Big East for two years and is a vocal leader.

This team is going to have a moxie about it that was missing on the 2018/19 team.

2 hours ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

Well, he transferred at the semester break, so he'd at least have 1/2 of his second year left. And he only played in four games (31 total minutes) in the 1/2 he did "use", so the hope would be that the NCAA would continue to be lax, and not see that as a real season of play.

At minimum, he should have 3 years to play 2. Probably, 3 to play 2 1/2. Ideally, 3 to play 3.

Yep. His coach left, twice, in fact. I'd say that Shamiel Stevenson has a real good case. Glad he's 'N' at bare minimum. How much he's available will tell a tale, though.

3 hours ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

Normally the rule is if you play in the first semester and transfer, unless you can claim a medical redshirt that year of eligibility is gone.  If you were a sophomore and transfer at semester, you are eligible at the end of the first semester the next year and you would be a junior.  It would take one waiver to claim that as a redshirt year, and another waiver to be eligible for the first semester.  Also, since he is technically a end of the year transfer from Nevada, he would need another waiver just to be eligible at the semester, otherwise he wouldn't be eligible until the next year when he'd be a junior.  So it's not cut and dried.

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

His pictures at Hendricks don't make it look like he's fat.  That was kind of the worry.  That he was fat and out of shape and that's why Capel had a problem with him.  That's not what his pictures look like.

This is a guy who can put it on the floor, who can post up, and who can shoot the 3 about as good as any Husker last year was able to shoot the 3.  

I'm really curious to know how much remaining eligibility he has.  But this might be the best pickup so far.

Dude is beefy, but in a good way. Not entirely Zion beefy. Love his athleticism. He can shoot as well. The limited pitt tape he has looks incredible...couldn't find anything in nevada. Did he play at all in NV? 

4 hours ago, millerhusker said:

When I heard Steve Kerr talk about the difficulty of matching the Rockets physicality, referring to Eric Gordon and PJ Tucker as middle linebackers, my mind immediately went to Jervay Green and Shamiel Stevenson. These dudes look like D1 linebackers who happen to be very skilled basketball players.

Mack and Burke carry themselves with a ton of confidence. Cheatham was one of the best perimeter defenders in the Big East for two years and is a vocal leader.

This team is going to have a moxie about it that was missing on the 2018/19 team.

This. My thoughts exactly. When I saw tape on Stevenson, my mind immediately leapt to tucker. :) those are some great observations and points man. 

The irony here is that with all the guys hoiberg is looking to bring in, the perfect big man recruit fred is looking for for this system of his, would be someone incredibly versatile like roby. Now we're building a team FULL of roby- like players plus outside shooters. Boys, this will be fun to watch. 

4 minutes ago, HolyBobpilgrimage said:

The irony here is that with all the guys hoiberg is looking to bring in, the perfect big man recruit fred is looking for for this system of his, would be someone incredibly versatile like roby. Now we're building a team FULL of roby- like players plus outside shooters. Boys, this will be fun to watch. 

Yup.  And the fact that we will be somewhat reliant on the 3 ball will give us a better shot at pulling off upsets on the road.  Also, it will make us more able to lose at home:).

14 hours ago, royalfan said:

Yup.  And the fact that we will be somewhat reliant on the 3 ball will give us a better shot at pulling off upsets on the road.  Also, it will make us more able to lose at home:).

I guess it depends on what percentage NU will take at the rim as opposed to the shots taken from beyond the land of plenty.

Will it be Rocket-like or Warrior-like.... big difference in quantity vs quality, in my book.

Edited by AuroranHusker

5 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

I mean...Simms never plays for a Hoiberg roster. His game would struggle to translate to todays game, I think. His build might be similar, but if Stevenson can shoot it, which it looks like he can, I don't think the two are comparable.

And Corey wasn't that built, either.

Corey

Simms

CoreySimmsZoom

Guard
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 205
Year: Senior
City/State: St. Louis, Mo.

Oh, dang. I thought he was bigger than that. Yeah, not sure the comp is there at all.

From a build perspective, the Bradford comp is much more apt. But I don't think their games are that similar looking at the numbers. That said, the game has changed a lot since Bradford was here.

Edited by uneblinstu

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Oh, dang. I thought he was bigger than that. Yeah, not sure the comp is there at all.

From a build perspective, the Bradford comp is much more apt. But I don't think their games are that similar looking at the numbers. That said, the game has changed a lot since Bradford was here.

You're right, though, that a Simms-type player never plays for Hoiberg. He was a decent athlete but nowhere near good enough of a shooter.

I really would like to know his playing status. How much time does he lose for having played in 4 games his sophomore year at Pitt?  That wipes out his sophomore year.  But then he has to sit a year as a transfer?  Which would take him to mid-December when UN-L has commencement exercises for fall semester? And he'll come in as a junior with basically a year-and-a-half to finish his college career?

If that's how it works out, it seems punitive. Seems like he should either sit until December and be considered a sophomore or be able to play right away as a junior. But to take away 1 1/2 years of eligibility because he played in 4 games as a sophomore before realizing that not transferring after the Pitt coaching change was a big mistake ... well, that seems excessive.

Anyone clear this up for me?