Letter to the Editor

Anyone who takes over a job for someone who just wasn't getting it done well enough is expected to do it differently.  In sports that usually means not only different schemes, but different people running them.  It's sometimes a hard reality, but I have no reason to believe this staff is doing anything in a malicious way and with no regard for the student athletes' best interests.  

13 hours ago, FredsSlacks said:

regardless what hoiberg told them, these guys could have stayed and put in the work to prove fred wrong. (see thorir)

it was ultimately the players decision to leave.

and fred actually did them a favor by giving them his harsh but honest opinion on if they would fit in his system.

You haven't been paying attention. Davis, Heiman, and Harris were cut/not going to have basketball scholarships here next season. Hoiberg is allowed to do this as a new coach. It was not ultimately the players' decision to leave.

5 hours ago, jimmychitwood said:

Where was her letter about the football team?  If I remember correctly, 96 of the 149 players currently on the team were brought in by Frost. That's pretty close to the 2 to 3 leftovers after Hoiberg's hire.  

I was thinking the same thing. And it seems that the OWH has picked up on fan discontent, Shatel has an article about the roster flip and unhappy fans. here is a caption from a picture of Fred at the Husker baseball game a few weeks ago       ."New coach Fred Hoiberg has flipped Nebraska’s roster, allowing him to bring in players better suited for his system. The manner of getting rid of players, including Platteview grad Brady Heiman, has rubbed some fans the wrong way."

Edited by Bugeaters1

One of the big things that bugged me about her letter (and again she has every right to her opinion) is that she made it sound as if there are two sides to a certain debate.  Further, she fabricated a story-line (in my mind) between the silent majority versus a vocal minority. 

I guess I never thought of myself in either category when it comes to Husker sports.  I am a realist that is a staunch supporter and provide donations, likely small in comparisons to many others.  I supported Joe until he passed, I am embarrassed by my actions towards Moe, and I have supported every other coach we have had sense then.  When they move on, I move on.  

Now to the current point.  I have zero problems with players choosing to leave, and I have no problem with a coach recommending to players to move on.  Real world!  Players come, players leave.  Coaches come, coaches leave.  The constant is the program/school and the fan base.  I say fan base because a portion of the fans come and go as well.  If I were to buy or form a business, I would want to surround myself with employees who support my philosophy and are loyal to me and what I want to accomplish.  If a coach comes in, he should have a similar philosophy.  Attempting to force square pegs into round holes is not fair to the pegs or the holes.  

So come on, whether you are vocal or silent, what this staff is doing that makes sense.  Coach Frost has done the same thing, and for this basketball team to climb the ladder, changes were going to happen.  Think about this as well, Coach Miles, for the majority of the season, relied heavily on five players.  He did not have a lot of faith in the bench either.  Granted Amir was hurt or sick or both, but for the most part, he would have pretty much started over as well.  

So here we are.  Live with, and if you are a fan, jump on the wagon, this is going to a fun ride.

25 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

One of the big things that bugged me about her letter (and again she has every right to her opinion) is that she made it sound as if there are two sides to a certain debate.  Further, she fabricated a story-line (in my mind) between the silent majority versus a vocal minority. 

I guess I never thought of myself in either category when it comes to Husker sports.  I am a realist that is a staunch supporter and provide donations, likely small in comparisons to many others.  I supported Joe until he passed, I am embarrassed by my actions towards Moe, and I have supported every other coach we have had sense then.  When they move on, I move on.  

Now to the current point.  I have zero problems with players choosing to leave, and I have no problem with a coach recommending to players to move on.  Real world!  Players come, players leave.  Coaches come, coaches leave.  The constant is the program/school and the fan base.  I say fan base because a portion of the fans come and go as well.  If I were to buy or form a business, I would want to surround myself with employees who support my philosophy and are loyal to me and what I want to accomplish.  If a coach comes in, he should have a similar philosophy.  Attempting to force square pegs into round holes is not fair to the pegs or the holes.  

So come on, whether you are vocal or silent, what this staff is doing that makes sense.  Coach Frost has done the same thing, and for this basketball team to climb the ladder, changes were going to happen.  Think about this as well, Coach Miles, for the majority of the season, relied heavily on five players.  He did not have a lot of faith in the bench either.  Granted Amir was hurt or sick or both, but for the most part, he would have pretty much started over as well.  

So here we are.  Live with, and if you are a fan, jump on the wagon, this is going to a fun ride.

I dont have the ability to upvote this enough.

I'm pretty vocal in dislike of the obnoxious husker fans in any sport -- and yes we have them.  The last 20 years or so it has been the purists who (sometimes rightly) have undercut coaches of the football and basketball teams.

Even when they were right that doesnt make them any less obnoxious.  It made it significantly worse more often than not.

Those of you who dislike the cardinals in baseball and Patriots in pro football.. yep you get it.  And I'm a cardinal fan.

Sit down, shut up and enjoy the ride (or even better, get up and CHEER.  Loudly.)

It definitely looks like we just hired our Devaney or terry pettit in mens basketball.  Finally.

20 hours ago, jimmykc said:

I note Jennifer's letter finally made the print version of the LJS today. I assume the lag has something to do with the print version of the paper being done in Omaha now. 

You're looking at it wrong...when it was posted online it said it was for the May 12 edition. The paper isn't lagging....the internet is too fast. 

It sucks that some things leaked.  

But if I was a player I would rather be told I don't fit the sydtem/vision of the team going forward than losing eligibility.

Having said that, miles told Parker he wasn't going up get minutes and he took it as a challenge instead of transferring.

On 5/10/2019 at 9:24 PM, 49r said:

Changes needed to be made and they needed to be swift and dramatic.  Thank God we have a coach in charge with the balls to do what needed being done.

I typed that stuff, but I was worried when I posted it that it would come off a tad hyperbolic...I had no idea.  After this past 6 days, the staff deserves an entire Starbucks store annexed on to Hendricks.  Jeez...

Edited by 49r

3 hours ago, 49r said:

I typed that stuff, but I was worried when I posted it that it would come off a tad hyperbolic...I had no idea.  After this past 6 days, the staff deserves an entire Starbucks store annexed on to Hendricks.  Jeez...

Hoiberg has kicked some a$$, that's for sure. But we know he "doesn't like recruiting..." ???