Letter to the Editor

This person, Jennifer Rawlinson, willingly posted their own personal information in a public newspaper. I don't think it's unfair to call one out with their LinkedIn profile. It is what it is. I don't think this is a big deal, one way or another. Not worth all the commotion. Anyway, onward and upward. GBR! 

Edited by AuroranHusker

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

OK, listen guys, the Rawlinsons sat in front of me at Devaney.

Unlike me, she put her real name to her opinions and had them published in the Journal Star.

I don't agree with her, but I do not question her integrity or her support for the program.

Her family runs a prominent local business, OK?  They support the athletic department just fine.

You can disagree with her without invective.  I think she's blowing things out of proportion, but I can respect that fact that she sees this differently and not get my nose all bent out of joint about it (which I would be far more likely to do with someone who was posting anonymously.)

Well great, now you made me feel bad that she is a real person with thoughts and feelings....

And quick clarification, are you telling me you are not actually Norm Peterson from the TV show Cheers? #mindblown 

7 minutes ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

Well great, now you made me feel bad that she is a real person with thoughts and feelings....

And quick clarification, are you telling me you are not actually Norm Peterson from the TV show Cheers? #mindblown 

Don't feel bad. That wasn't my intent.  It's just that she and her family were avid Husker hoops fans who showed up basically every game. I'm sure they still do although I'm equally sure they have better seats than me and I probably can't see them from where I sit.

Like many of you, I disagree with her about this deal.  But I think we can disagree and still have a beer.

2 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

This marks the first and last time I read the opinion page. And I thought sports talk and message boards were full of hot takes..

My wife was once the subject of a letter to the editor.  A neighbor's dog got loose and killed another neighbor's chicken while my wife was going for a walk.  The neighbor who's chicken was killed came out of the house screaming at my wife and scared the dog.  My wife ended her walk and went home; the scared dog followed my wife home.  Neighbor of the dead chicken comes into my yard with a hand gun screaming and threatening to shoot the dog.  Then pens a letter to the editor about how an inconsiderate neighbor killed his chicken's.  He was lucky I was still at work because I also have guns. That being said if you pen a letter to the editor you're a special breed.

31 minutes ago, jdw said:

My wife was once the subject of a letter to the editor.  A neighbor's dog got loose and killed another neighbor's chicken while my wife was going for a walk.  The neighbor who's chicken was killed came out of the house screaming at my wife and scared the dog.  My wife ended her walk and went home; the scared dog followed my wife home.  Neighbor of the dead chicken comes into my yard with a hand gun screaming and threatening to shoot the dog.  Then pens a letter to the editor about how an inconsiderate neighbor killed his chicken's.  He was lucky I was still at work because I also have guns. That being said if you pen a letter to the editor you're a special breed.

The stupidity of some people is breathtaking at times. 

3 hours ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

Of course he's Cliff Clavin in cognito.

?

Edited by AuroranHusker

Always a difficult situation for many people.  I guess I support her right to provide her opinion.  I also respect that she had the intestinal fortitude to attach her name to her wrong opinion.  But I certainly defend her right to be wrong.  Wrong GIF - Wrong GIFs

Edited by Huskerpapa

I don't think she is totally wrong.. It might be a bit heavy to one side but I too am not all that thrilled with everything that has happened the last few days.

Mostly that some things were "leaked" and these players where caught off guard.

This like most things in life will be forgotten by next month as something else will take us down the road of different views.

6 hours ago, TheGov21 said:

For somebody that is a lifelong Nebrasketball fan, she should know that we do need a brick by brick rebuild. And yes we are not Iowa State. They've got a long history of success in Men's Basketball.

Yeah that part really confused me too.

There are many times over the past 20 years I would have been ecstatic to have a basketball team as good as Iowa State's.

Also, and others have mentioned it too, this perverse "Husker Exceptionalism" BS is particularly disgusting.  Especially considering the long and storied tradition of mediocrity we have been witness to for pretty much all of our lifetimes.  The arrogance is pitiful.  "That's not the way we do things around here"...really?  Winning 14 games a year is really so much more satisfying because we have always somehow been doing things "the Husker way"?  Presumably she is aware that guys were asked to leave the program under previous regimes too, right?  To be clear, I hate it when St Louis Cardinals fans or New England Patriots fans do it too, but for eff sakes at least they are winning!  We are in NO position to claim to have a monopoly on ethical behavior.

Listen, we're not paying Fred $3.5 million to give our boys a pat on the butt and thank them for keeping within 30 points of Michigan.  Hell no, he's expected to beat their ass and everyone else too!  And if he needs to get guys from the old staff's roster moved on their way into a situation that will fit them better in order to get started on his program right away then by all means he needs to do that.  Because believe me, he knows that if keeping guys around just for the sake of mollifying a fickle fan base costs him even ONE win, he will find that same fickle "silent majority" turning on him so fast your head will spin.  Not only that, but plodding around for 2 or 3 years with more mediocre results (because you have a roster full of guys that can't play the way you need them to) will only end up hurting you in recruiting and thusly continue the pattern of mediocrity.  Changes needed to be made and they needed to be swift and dramatic.  Thank God we have a coach in charge with the balls to do what needed being done.

I did not ever hear a fan in the stands at PBA during a game in which we were losing proclaim "well doggone it, I'm just so proud of these boys, and how darn ETHICAL everything is around here!"

Edited by 49r

I don't think she is totally wrong.. It might be a bit heavy to one side but I too am not all that thrilled with everything that has happened the last few days.

Mostly that some things were "leaked" and these players where caught off guard.

This like most things in life will be forgotten by next month as something else will take us down the road of different views.
Unless u write it down in a black book

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

The aw shucks folksiness, the self righteous indignation, the notion that we don’t do things ‘round here like them “City slickers” over in Ames, the whole rant makes my a** tired. Like it was mentioned above, Fred isn’t here to hold hands & sing Kum-by-Ya, he’s here to get on with the business of WINNING. Good on her for her opinions & concerns, I just don’t share them.

regardless what hoiberg told them, these guys could have stayed and put in the work to prove fred wrong. (see thorir)

it was ultimately the players decision to leave.

and fred actually did them a favor by giving them his harsh but honest opinion on if they would fit in his system.

Edited by FredsSlacks

I'm actually a stickler for ethics in general, and honestly, I don't see any violations at all other than the leak/publication part. 

Players aren't infants. They understand now that the sport they love to play is a business at almost every level. Most of them were already practically playing "pro ball" before they even got to college. I think some of this sentimentality is just nostalgia for an era of amateurism, and I share a lot of that, but that's not reality. What's happening now is reality. And every actor in this play is aware of it. 

I've suspected for some time that Moos saw something in the program's culture that he didn't like--I have no hard proof of that, so it's worth what any other ill-informed opinion is worth--and acted on it when he could. Much of this purge supports that perspective (but it also supports other perspectives as well, just to be clear and fair). But if you're going to hire a new coach to change the trajectory of a program, they have to have the freedom to do that. And Hoiberg's doing what he's literally being paid to do. And there's nothing unethical about that. Ethics isn't a euphemism for "easy landing" or "getting one's way". To me what would be unethical is if he retained these players just to honor their previous commitments and then let them languish on the bench for the remainder of their careers without telling them that this was their fate when he arrived. *That* would be unethical. And that's not going to happen. 

Even if you don't trust Hoiberg, trust Doc. The dude's moral compass is on pretty tight. He's not going to sit by while a player is abused or mistreated in any way shape or form. 

2 hours ago, FredsSlacks said:

regardless what hoiberg told them, these guys could have stayed and put in the work to prove fred wrong. (see thorir)

No. 

As as a new coach, Hoiberg can cut any of Miles’ guys, meaning they wouldn’t have the option to “put in the work to prove Hoiberg wrong.” 

4 hours ago, tcp said:

I'm actually a stickler for ethics in general, and honestly, I don't see any violations at all other than the leak/publication part. 

Players aren't infants. They understand now that the sport they love to play is a business at almost every level. Most of them were already practically playing "pro ball" before they even got to college. I think some of this sentimentality is just nostalgia for an era of amateurism, and I share a lot of that, but that's not reality. What's happening now is reality. And every actor in this play is aware of it. 

I've suspected for some time that Moos saw something in the program's culture that he didn't like--I have no hard proof of that, so it's worth what any other ill-informed opinion is worth--and acted on it when he could. Much of this purge supports that perspective (but it also supports other perspectives as well, just to be clear and fair). But if you're going to hire a new coach to change the trajectory of a program, they have to have the freedom to do that. And Hoiberg's doing what he's literally being paid to do. And there's nothing unethical about that. Ethics isn't a euphemism for "easy landing" or "getting one's way". To me what would be unethical is if he retained these players just to honor their previous commitments and then let them languish on the bench for the remainder of their careers without telling them that this was their fate when he arrived. *That* would be unethical. And that's not going to happen. 

Even if you don't trust Hoiberg, trust Doc. The dude's moral compass is on pretty tight. He's not going to sit by while a player is abused or mistreated in any way shape or form. 

Except at practice. Then all bets are off. ?

I want so badly to go off over this one.  

Oh I'm sure she means well and all that jazz.  Wonderful persons and family.

"We don't do things that way here"

Oh for *bleeps* sake. 

Let's call this for what it is.  And it is ALL about locals defending our local kids (in this case brady).

We can shut this down in like 60 seconds.  There was this team in the early 90s that was slow, fairly homegrown, consistently good but never great.

What did that team do? It grew up.

We accepted those players from out of state like our own like we always did and most of them love this place like a 2nd home for a reason.

....back to the original point. This team compared to that other team?

Yeah, it sucks.  And in a couple months, the facelift on this program has put together a team that could go some very big places within a couple years if not immediately (can argue they're better than pre Copeland injury team last year). And they aren't done yet.

I don't know whoever wrote this.  Like I said they're probably fine people.

But the absolute kindest words I have right now are "please shut the f--- up".