How a future Nebraska Women's Basketball coach helped create Husker Volleyball's dynasty

braska

Thought I'd share this historical nugget for those of you not familiar.  If you remember former Head Coach Paul Sanderford, who preceded Connie Yori at Nebraska, he and Terry Pettit were employed at Louisburg College in North Carolina in the late 70's.

by Mike Babcock

A bulletin advertising an opening for the head volleyball coach’s job at Nebraska had been discarded in a wastebasket in the coaches’ office at Louisburg College. Paul Sanderford, the first-year head coach of the women’s basketball team at the North Carolina junior college, retrieved the bulletin from the wastebasket and handed it to Terry Pettit, the school’s head volleyball coach.Without that assist from Sanderford, Pettit, an aspiring English teacher with a background in creative writing and poetry as well as coaching, would not have known about the opening. If he had not known about the opening, he would not have applied. And if he had not applied and been hired, the history of Husker volleyball would have been altered dramatically, because he and Husker volleyball became one and the same.

SOURCE: http://www.huskers.com/pdf9/5296311.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=100

22 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Very interesting. Amazing how some great coaches get their start at small schools, kind of like Bill Parcells at Hastings College.

A funny Parcells tidbit.  When the Jets selected Frost in the draft as a Safety and afterwards during the post-draft presser, Parcells was asked by the media why they took a gamble on someone who never played a defensive position in college?  His response:

"(It) is a little bit of a gamble," Parcells said following the draft. "People in the league I respect have told me, 'I don't think you can make this work.'"

The hall of famer who began his coaching career at Hastings College in Nebraska joked to Frost that if they couldn't figure things out, they would both be back in Hastings soon enough.

SOURCE: https://www.omaha.com/eedition/sunrise/articles/parcells-jets-drafted-frost-belichick-liked-his-intangibles/article_5216117a-8cc3-5906-ae2d-2bf01417366a.html

1 minute ago, braska said:

A funny Parcells tidbit.  When the Jets selected Frost in the draft as a Safety and afterwards during the post-draft presser, Parcells was asked by the media why they took a gamble on someone who never played a defensive position in college?  His response:

"(It) is a little bit of a gamble," Parcells said following the draft. "People in the league I respect have told me, 'I don't think you can make this work.'"

The hall of famer who began his coaching career at Hastings College in Nebraska joked to Frost that if they couldn't figure things out, they would both be back in Hastings soon enough.

SOURCE: https://www.omaha.com/eedition/sunrise/articles/parcells-jets-drafted-frost-belichick-liked-his-intangibles/article_5216117a-8cc3-5906-ae2d-2bf01417366a.html

Thanks for posting that. I do recall that quote about the both of 'em going to Hastings after the Jets experience, if all else failed. Looks like it worked pretty well for both of 'em. ?