Grade the staff

If we finish out the 2019 class with Johnson, Stevenson and Ouedraogo or Cross ...  

79 members have voted

1. 1. If we finish out the 2019 class with Johnson, Stevenson and Ouedraogo or Cross ...

• A+ Splendid, better than we could have hoped, a recruiting tour de force
    • A Outstanding. A truly excellent job. About as good as we could have hoped for given the limited timeframes, etc.
    • B+ Not bad at all. In fact, pretty darned good. Very satisfied, although feel like we may have settled on one or two and missed on another
    • B OK. Happy. Not thrilled. We filled some holes but maybe missed on some players I'd have rather had.
    • C+ This was passable but disappointing. Expected more. Especially with their reputation and what we're paying them.
    • C Disappointing. Still have some big holes, didn't meet all needs, and missed some players that were "must haves."
    • D Oh, man, I'm sick to my stomach. This was not a good effort and this is NOT remotely reflective of the level we need to recruit at.
    • F Abject failure. This was a disaster. We filled a roster with reaches and sent better players packing. Someone needs to be fired.

A grade from me as well.  I would like to see an experienced big guy/true post player in the mix but every team is looking for those guys.  I think Johnson tossed us a curve ball by signing with Marquette.  I'm guessing the staff planned on him being that guy which would give the high school post players a year to develop.   I'm excited about the potential of Cross and Ouedraogo but I don't expect a lot from them this year do to the fact that they are Freshmen and are both kind of projects.

I went with a B+  Love our guards we signed but not sold on the 2 young bigs we signed last couple of days.  I like their potential but concerned if they can compete right away in big 10.  Sign a solid grad transfer post that can come in and play right away and it would make a huge difference.

18 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

Anyone who voted B or lower, I want you to show yourself and tell me why. That is ridiculous. You either are delusional with ridiculous expectations, or you are a Creighton fan on here just trying to mess up the positive mojo. 

Okay, I'll take a stab at it actually.

I didn't vote but one thing has kind of stood out to me and that is (I believe) Chris Heady's tweet stating the fact that we got 8 commits out of 13 visits.  To me, that says that perhaps the staff isn't shooting high enough and taking enough reaches in hopes of pulling that transformational player.

If we are laying up on recruiting (golf term here, not hoops layup) then IMO I feel like maybe we won't be getting the product we deserve and the coaching staff maybe gets a tick off on their grade.  That's just an *if* at this point, judgement will probably need to be reserved until about a year from now...

Personally I'm pretty happy with the way they've rebuilt the roster.  But a part of me can't help wondering if it all wasn't just a little too easy.  Know what I mean?

10 minutes ago, 49r said:

I didn't vote but one thing has kind of stood out to me and that is (I believe) Chris Heady's tweet stating the fact that we got 8 commits out of 13 visits.  To me, that says that perhaps the staff isn't shooting high enough and taking enough reaches in hopes of pulling that transformational player.

If we are laying up on recruiting (golf term here, not hoops layup) then IMO I feel like maybe we won't be getting the product we deserve and the coaching staff maybe gets a tick off on their grade.  That's just an *if* at this point, judgement will probably need to be reserved until about a year from now...

Personally I'm pretty happy with the way they've rebuilt the roster.  But a part of me can't help wondering if it all wasn't just a little too easy.  Know what I mean?

A couple thoughts...

They've offered pretty much every graduate transfer in Division I. Short of harassing them, I'm not sure what else you can do to get a kid to visit. Ntambwe is a transformational player and he visited the first week they were here. We tried for Blackshear. We were linked to Figueroa. Who else should we be shooting for that we aren't?

Also, for what it's worth, I think Cam Mack IS a transformational player and will be incredible. Although they didn't recruit Jervay Green, they kept him on board, which is also huge. We are talking about the No. 1 and No. 2 JUCO players in the country coming here to be Day 1 starters. We added a 6-8 guy who is one of the best 3-point shooters in Division I. 

On the Rivals Top 150 list, there are 6 guys who are "Undecided" and 4 of those are ranked in the Top 20 and have been developing relationships for a long time. It's April/May before these kids go to college in a couple months, our coaches can't just be expected to flip a bunch of kids' college plans at the last minute. 

You have to remember they are still recruiting kids to a program that has been dog poop and as recently as a couple months ago was hot dog poop in a dumpster fire (if that's a thing). I expect when they prove they can win with the 3/4 start players they're bringing in they'll quickly start attracting 4/5 stars players. 

Edited by GoBigFred

6 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

You have to remember they are still recruiting kids to a program that has been dog poop and as recently as a couple months ago was hot dog poop in a dumpster fire (if that's a thing). I expect when they prove they can win with the 3/4 start players they're bringing in they'll quickly start attracting 4/5 stars players. 

I'm not saying I'm dissatisfied with the job they've done at all.  I'm just saying that if you wanted to look for a way to downgrade the job the staff has done this spring, that's probably how I would do it.

Get Ntambwe on board and I'll agree there's no way you can't say it's an A+ job.

On 5/7/2019 at 3:00 PM, Norm Peterson said:

If we finish the recruiting class with Jayce Johnson, Shamiel Stevenson, and either Yvan Ouedraogo or Kevin Cross, how would you grade the recruiting efforts of the new staff in their first recruiting period?

Looking for 3, got an unanticipated combination of the 3.

8 minutes ago, 49r said:

I'm not saying I'm dissatisfied with the job they've done at all.  I'm just saying that if you wanted to look for a way to downgrade the job the staff has done this spring, that's probably how I would do it.

Get Ntambwe on board and I'll agree there's no way you can't say it's an A+ job.

Fair enough. I just think for any Nebraska basketball coaching staff to ever have the Nos. 1 and 2 JUCO players in the country coming in, that's a pretty big step up for our program and deserves a B+ at least. 

I would love to have Ntambwe too and I have secretly had this hope that he has been silently planning on coming here all along as long as Roby stays in the draft. His deal has been extremely quiet. 

This is a ridiculously good turnover.  We basically had our pick of juco and grad transfer markets and picked up a 17 year old interior beast and another flexible big in the process.

Growing pains will happen.  Lack of experience will be an issue.  But top to bottom this team is probably better talentwise than last year pre copeland.

Definitely deeper.

If we gel before we lose too many games we could EASILY make an ncaa run.

Given all that and the fact that he stepped into a fairly hard situation with graduation we almost literally could not have asked for better short term results.

It needs to play out but anything below an A- is in my opinion just short of nuts.

On 5/7/2019 at 7:06 PM, Huskerpapa said:

This is always difficult, because we need to see the product on the court.  That said, we are still missing power players.  I will feel a bit better if we land some front court help.  

I am feeling a bit better ?

Looking at 247 this afternoon to look at our recruiting class and they have an interesting feature listing all of our recruits (going back to 2003 - 72 players) and ranking them from top to bottom:

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

Couple of things jump out at me.

Yvan Ouedraogo is the #2 all time (in the past 16 years) recruit for us behind Glynn Watson

This year's class has 5 guys in the top 30 of Nebraska recruits (in the past 16 years), 5 transfers and Kevin Cross is unranked.

At the moment (and I mean at the moment literally) Donovan Williams is #5 and DeAndre Davis is #12

Interesting.  Imagine what this staff could do with more than 6 weeks to recruit...

On 5/14/2019 at 10:35 AM, 49r said:

I get that.    It could also just be us not being used to a competent staff as well

6 minutes ago, busticket said:

So this is what it feels like to have a staff of recruiting assassins.

I bet Doc is thinking the same thing.  I'm so happy for Nebraska Basketball fans who have suffered through a century of futility to have hope.  I'm also REALLY happy Doc has a chance to come back and share the moment!

23 hours ago, 49r said:

Looking at 247 this afternoon to look at our recruiting class and they have an interesting feature ... Yvan Ouedraogo is the #2 all time

Saw that the other day too. Thought it was pretty wild that Drogon was rated so high. Also didn't like the fact that many of the top guys on that list didn't pan out.

22 hours ago, cipsucks said:

I'm also REALLY happy Doc has a chance to come back and share the moment!

Yeah that farewell press conference... oof. It means a lot to him, obviously. It's also cool to see that he came in and pretty much said "I'm just going to coach defense", leaving the recruiting up to Matt/Armon, then proceeds to help land a possible hidden gem recruit.