Grade the staff

If we finish out the 2019 class with Johnson, Stevenson and Ouedraogo or Cross ...  

79 members have voted

1. 1. If we finish out the 2019 class with Johnson, Stevenson and Ouedraogo or Cross ...

• A+ Splendid, better than we could have hoped, a recruiting tour de force
    • A Outstanding. A truly excellent job. About as good as we could have hoped for given the limited timeframes, etc.
    • B+ Not bad at all. In fact, pretty darned good. Very satisfied, although feel like we may have settled on one or two and missed on another
    • B OK. Happy. Not thrilled. We filled some holes but maybe missed on some players I'd have rather had.
    • C+ This was passable but disappointing. Expected more. Especially with their reputation and what we're paying them.
    • C Disappointing. Still have some big holes, didn't meet all needs, and missed some players that were "must haves."
    • D Oh, man, I'm sick to my stomach. This was not a good effort and this is NOT remotely reflective of the level we need to recruit at.
    • F Abject failure. This was a disaster. We filled a roster with reaches and sent better players packing. Someone needs to be fired.

I went with B+

- They reaffirmed two of Miles' commits who I think will fit in nicely in Jervay Green and Akol Arop

- Brought in some immediate shooting help in Haanif Cheatham and Matej Kavas

- Secures their PG of the future in Cam Mack

- Got an interesting sit out transfer prospect in Dalano Banton

The only thing they are missing is some bodies to bang down low in the post. I know we wont see too many traditional bigs but we still need some guys woth some size. We are currently in on Cross, Ouedraogo, and Stevenson. All three of which are north of 230.

Incomplete - I don't think they can be given a final grade until the roster is complete. They have added some nice pieces but for right now we have a huge hole in the middle. Someone joked that no Nebraska coach could recruit a big man and right now that's true. We may get a big to commit today and then that changes everything. When people brought up injuries and such for Miles the usual response was he needs to be judged by the results. Right now the results are Hoiberg has yet brought in a big man and asked the only one we had to leave. I think he will be successful in getting one or even two big men in the door but as of yet, he has not. If we don't add anyone then the grade drops considerably. If he adds productive big men then we are looking at an A. 

Just now, Dean Smith said:

Incomplete - I don't think they can be given a final grade until the roster is complete. They have added some nice pieces but for right now we have a huge hole in the middle. Someone joked that no Nebraska coach could recruit a big man and right now that's true. We may get a big to commit today and then that changes everything. When people brought up injuries and such for Miles the usual response was he needs to be judged by the results. Right now the results are Hoiberg has yet brought in a big man and asked the only one we had to leave. I think he will be successful in getting one or even two big men in the door but as of yet, he has not. If we don't add anyone then the grade drops considerably. If he adds productive big men then we are looking at an A. 

I thought about an incomplete until I see the final roster and the product on the court.  But I went with a B+ so far.  However, this a fluid thing.

I know you're talking about recruiting, so I didn't vote in the poll.  As a whole, this is an A+ staff.  Hoiberg covered all his bases with each assistant coach.  Recruiting, head coaching experience, defensive mind--what more could you ask for.  We might have a miss or two this year in recruiting---trying to turn the roster makes you take a chance--look at football with a 4 star DB who just left.  Next year's recruiting class will be the one, in my humble opinion, to judge this staff by.  Give Hoiberg a year to show what his offense looks like.  Watch the players line up to come here!

Rivals says A+ for Hoiberg:  https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/evans-seven-grading-the-work-of-recent-coaching-hires

NEBRASKA'S FRED HOIBERG: A+

Fred Hoiberg surprised many by taking the Nebraska job rather than some of the more highly touted positions available. Ever since then, however, he has continually won a number of recruiting battles. Just as he did at Iowa State, he has been relying heavily upon the transfer realm. 

FGCU wing Haanif Cheatham and Seattle big Matej Kavas each pledged to the program and both will be immediately eligible to compete in the fall, as will junior college standouts Jervay Green and Cameron Mack. Dalano Banton, a former Rivals150 prospect, should pay dividends down the road once his college clock begins in the fall of 2020. Further work must be done, and the Huskers might need at least three more players this spring, but the Fred Hoiberg era could not have started any better.

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

and FWIW, that Rivals guy graded all the new Power 5 coaches this week based on their recruiting so far and Hoiberg was the only A+.  Nate Oates and Buzz Williams got A's

I don't think anyone could say anything negative about what Hoiberg has done so far. Cheatham and Kavas are the two most accomplished grad transfers we've ever gotten, unless I'm overlooking someone. 

On 5/8/2019 at 3:38 PM, Norm Peterson said:

I'm going to redo it when the roster is complete.  I had been told Jayce was a lock and Stevenson probably too, and then we'd get the better of either Cross or the French kid.  But Jayce threw a wrench in my plans, the SOB.  So, now we hafta wait.

I think we will get Ouedrago. I'm sure we have a big man locked up to let Brady walk like we did. I bet Yvan is it, even if he has may have to redshirt this year. 

The Stevenson kid from Nevada finished his visit yesterday I believe, and does he have any other visits planned? 

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think the French kid could be really good.  He's so young, he probably needs a redshirt. And that would help him develop some skills as well.  But he's got a lot going for him, including that he might not be done growing, which could end up being a big deal.

Maybe we'll find ourselves the new French Freak