2019 Transfer Shamiel Stevenson - LOI

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Honestly looks a bit like Joe McCray 2.0

Seems like the question is whether or not he's been working at Nevada

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2018/12/11/pitt-panthers-basketball-jeff-capel-xavier-johnson-trey-mcgowens-au-diese-toney-shamiel-stevenson-kevin-stallings-petersen-events-center/stories/201812110078

• Shamiel Stevenson is on the outside looking in

After appearing in all 32 games last season and averaging 8.5 points (second among returning players) and 4.4 rebounds (first) per game, Stevenson has played just 21 minutes in 10 games and hasn’t appeared in any of the team’s past six games, confounding some who follow the program from a distance.

Toney has clearly replaced him as the taller wing who plays what amounts to the four, and rather than inserting Stevenson as the backup, Capel has instead opted for lineups in which Malik Ellison or Jared Wilson-Frame is the second-tallest player. While not singling anyone out, Capel said he needs players to play with energy every day when asked in November about Stevenson’s lack of minutes. Questions about his work ethic arose before the season, and his lack of playing time has only added credence to those murmurs (for what it’s worth, at 245 pounds, he is listed as 15 pounds heavier on this season’s roster than he was on last season’s). A player who once seemed like a building block has rather quickly become an afterthought.

Any player who doesn't have his head right is going to be a drag on the team or, at the very best, just won't help you out.

But THIS player, if he finds the motivation he needs, isn't lazy, gets to work and does what he needs to do, has the tools in his tool bag to really help us out.  And it's a bonus if we can somehow get him eligible right away.

10 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think you'll like what you see.

I watched. Looked up his stats. Showed the ability to knock down the outside shot AND drive into the paint off from the perimeter. He has size also which I love because he won't get bullied (too much) by big ten PFs. It opens up the switchability 1-4 on defense also, which is my favorite part.

IF they can get him immediately eligible (think there's a good chance of that after two coaching changes) I'm all on board. Even if not I'd still be on board because he would only have to sit until December. They need someone at that 4 next year to split time with Kavas. 

Edited by thrasher31

4 hours ago, thrasher31 said:

I watched. Looked up his stats. Showed the ability to knock down the outside shot AND drive into the paint off from the perimeter. He has size also which I love because he won't get bullied (too much) by big ten PFs. It opens up the switchability 1-4 on defense also, which is my favorite part.

Kind of what Ed wanted to be....

34 minutes ago, khoock said:

If he commits, aside from Roby, who will be better suited on our team to play the 5? Kavas would get eaten alive. As of rn I think Stevenson is looking at playing what we would consider the 5. Hes 245# with a 6'11 wingspan.

Unless we bring in someone else, yes and that's even if he's back down to 230.  If you can handle it defensively you are in line to be able to put up a lot of points on the offensive end with mismatches. 

1 hour ago, khoock said:

If he commits, aside from Roby, who will be better suited on our team to play the 5? Kavas would get eaten alive. As of rn I think Stevenson is looking at playing what we would consider the 5. Hes 245# with a 6'11 wingspan.

I think we could live with Kavas and Stephenson as our “forwards” and cause a nightmare on the other end.  I would also be shocked if we didn’t land one or two traditional PF bodies.  

I trust the brilliance on both ends of the court with this staff to maximize mismatches offensively and minimize deficiencies defensively.  

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

I think we could live with Kavas and Stephenson as our “forwards” and cause a nightmare on the other end.  I would also be shocked if we didn’t land one or two traditional PF bodies.  

I trust the brilliance on both ends of the court with this staff to maximize mismatches offensively and minimize deficiencies defensively.  

Key is you gotta have 4-5 guys who can really stroke it.  We'll have one, for sure, who is exceptional.  One who is at least solid.  We'll have a few who have proven themselves adequate to good.  It'd be nice to have at least 3 guys hovering somewhere near 40% or better.