Hope everyone is ok

I knew that I had truly returned to Nebraska when I heard the sirens go off. Unfortunately, because of knee surgery I couldn't go out chasing but still managed to see some cool clouds from my deck. That is, until the straight line winds started whipping the trees around and I decided to join my dogs in the basement.

East Lincoln seemed to luck out this time although we got a heaping pile of pea-sized hail on the front lawn. Thankfully I won't have to put another new roof on the home like the last time which was almost exactly three years ago. The wind did blow down the wren house I put up yesterday morning (disclaimer: No wrens were harmed by this post).

22 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Hope no one lost anything important and that whatever was damaged is insured and can be repaired. Kind of a wild evening. Was not expecting tornado sirens on my way into Costco. The way the wind was whipping, there must have been a funnel nearby.

Imagining you going to Costco is strange.

13 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

NWS says it was an EF-2 tornado that touched down in west Lincoln on Sunday afternoon/evening.

It demolished the ice cream store but took one look at Lee's Chicken across the street and thought, damn, that's a heart-attack waiting to happen, and took a sharp turn south.

The chicken kicked its ass.

Can't complain... my apartment and life are intact. 

But that was damn scary. Scariest moment in my life. I work nights so I woke up at 5:45, 5 minutes before it hit north lincoln. Had to throw clothes on and try to hide on the first floor. Seems like these nados always miss the main metro area growing up here... tornadoes are part of life here and you get used to them. But the last 2 years they've not given a shit and headed straight for town. 

Love everyone here and also hope everyone made it out alright. I'm happy myself to escape with my life. 

I still have pretty high standards for tornado terror. Old enough to remember the 1980 tornado outbreak in GI my last year in high school. that was insane. Not two month later, one would go right over my house in Bellevue, NE. Nutty tornado season that year.

8 minutes ago, tcp said:

I still have pretty high standards for tornado terror. Old enough to remember the 1980 tornado outbreak in GI my last year in high school. that was insane. Not two month later, one would go right over my house in Bellevue, NE. Nutty tornado season that year.

Shaping up to maybe be one of those years.

I was in Beatrice at speed skating practice while the sirens were going off in Lincoln.   A friend of mine was texting me and face timing me while stuff was going on in Lincoln and telling us all to stay put.  We did until about 6:30-6:40 ish and then we all drove home.  I drove through a downpour where I couldn't see much past the end of my car.  Made it home and found no damage...in fact my furniture on my balcony was still where it was when i went to practice.  I live off 27th and Hwy 2...so I was somewhat close to that Long John Silver's that is down the street from  KLKN that had their roof torn off.  

Edited by Nighthawk