The Fred appreciation thread...

I lived in the Twin Cities for 25 years & would venture to guess I’ve seen more Timberwolves Basketball then anyone else in Nebraska. Fred was a big part of their zenith, the Western Conference Finals in ‘04 vs the Lakers with Cassell, Sprewell & KG. When he moved to the front office, it was assumed he would take over for Flip when he stepped down. His success at ISU only fanned the flames further, and when he was interviewed on 10/11 last night it hit me all over again. Fred Hoiberg is OUR Coach, & what he’s accomplished the 1st month on the job is nothing short of remarkable...

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

I lived in the Twin Cities for 25 years & would venture to guess I’ve seen more Timberwolves Basketball then anyone else in Nebraska. Fred was a big part of their zenith, the Western Conference Finals in ‘04 vs the Lakers with Cassell, Sprewell & KG. When he moved to the front office, it was assumed he would take over for Flip when he stepped down. His success at ISU only fanned the flames further, and when he was interviewed on 10/11 last night it hit me all over again. Fred Hoiberg is OUR Coach, & what he’s accomplished the 1st month on the job is nothing short of remarkable...

Yep. I watched Andy Katz' interview with Fred Hoiberg the other day. Felt the same way. It's an awesome time to be 'N' with Frosty & Freddy as the head coaches for football & basketball at the University of Nebraska. #DreamTeam

I'm still blown away myself. Cant believe it still. It's not guaranteed that he gets it done, and his name may be getting these transfers... but rather I believe it's the magic moves of the deft hands of this staff that is making things happen here. So impressive how they're able to pick out the talent that fits the new system, and what's crazier for a husker basketball fan to believe is happening, we're actually landing these kids. This is all so exciting. I think if we're even average next year most of us are happy, but nobody will be surprised if fred & co finds greatness here in NE. Cannot understate how impressive this staff is already, and I love the chemistry and charisma. They love what they do, and I hope to see player dev and kids enjoying playing some fun, free-flowing basketball! ? 

Thanks for the thread man. It may be too early and he hasn't done anything yet on the hardwood here, but it doesnt matter... it's obvious we are very lucky and are going to have a very fun time for the foreseeable future here in Lincoln and PBA with these huskers. 

Edited by HolyBobpilgrimage

Nice article in 247 sports:

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-basketball-Fred-Hoiberg-Armon-Gates-recruiting-131756458/

Gates quickly saw how well the Hoiberg name plays in recruiting

"Not only in the Chicago land area, but when I make phone calls now to different AAU programs, different AAU coaches, and for sure in Chicago, the name resonates everywhere," said Gates, who knows the Chicago hoops landscape well. "If it's not the kid, because with Fred's playing career, obviously those kids probably weren't born or just too young to remember. But the parents and the coaches definitely remember him."

As the Huskers search for the right players to make it go, Gates likes knowing that he's taking on his recruiting assignments with someone like Abdelmassih, who is highly regarded in that area.

"I'm on a staff where there's someone else that really locks in on recruiting, and the pressure, I don't feel that pressure. All the other stops I've been, there was a little pressure that I felt to get the majority of the guys," Gates said. "Ands that's not the case anymore and I love it. I love it. I get to focus on a couple of other things and continue to better myself, and that's why I love.