Dalano Banton is N

4 hours ago, LK1 said:

I'm not comparing Banton to Lebron, but I think they'll have some similar point-forward roles.  My hope is that Banton has enough weight to guard the 4.  If he does, he's going to be an absolute terror on offense while goofball traditional B1G 4s attempt to guard him on the perimeter.  If he's quick enough to guard the 2-3, they may run the offense through him in the high post or starting on the block.  Either way, it's good for the good guys.   He's gonna be a problem.  

I hope/think he'll be in the post a good amount, regardless of who's guarding him. Analytically, the three point shot off of a pass out of the post is one of the most efficient shots in basketball. Presumably because it's often a stand-still catch and shoot, while already facing the basket. Jay Wright took that metric and ran with it all the way to a national championship a few years ago, with Jalen Brunson posting up and kicking it out to Mikal Bridges and others on the perimeter. Hoiberg is all about analytics, and having a 6'9" guy be your best passer on the team should be a huge asset. Of course, Banton needs to be a threat to score in the post for it all to work. From what we saw last year in the scrimmage and in Italy, it appears he can finish around the basket pretty well.

• 1 month later...

Sam Vecenie is The Athletic’s NBA draft guy. Some highlights from what he wrote about Banton:

- During his year at WKU, NBA scouts were often on campus to see Charles Bassey, but Banton was the guy who always caught their eye because of his size and comfort as a perimeter player. 

- “Extremely fluid” ... “vision and ability to read help defenders is outstanding” .... “few players in the country can hit the cross-corner kick out pass with as much ease and creativity” .... “has two jaw dropping passing highlights per night given how big he is.”

- Criticized his shot. But commented on good free throw percentage. 

- “It might be better off for Banton to stay in school one more year, rep out the jumper and turn into a legitimate monster in Hoiberg’s offense. His ceiling is very high in terms of draft stock, but I do have him as a borderline top 60 guy right now. It’s just too hard to find guys like this who have that much skill and feel at his size. If the jumper ever truly improves, he’s going to be a first-rounder.”

I hope to see Banton put together two excellent years, then be picked as a high first round choice.

It is nice seeing the mention of two incoming Huskers, McGowens and Breidenbach as future draftees, and I still hold out hope than coaches Hoiberg and Abdelmassih can land Traudt which would really establish the program.

As for this year perhaps we get a reprieve what with the immediate eligibility of Lakes, and the return of Andre and likely starter, Walker. With two significant contributors, coupled with Andre possibly being more than the usual stiff NU annually trots out into the paint, this season might see a real improvement. Without them I thought we were in real trouble, although when I look at the starters, plus Webster (who I really like) and Thorb. and Stevenson I am perplexed at the struggles we have seen. Surely it must be the mere lack of time together because this team has real talent.

Anyway, here's to reversing the trajectory. Set the controls for the heart of the Sun!

• 2 months later...