Next years starting lineup.

Very interesting to think abut lineups and combinations. I agree with Uneblinstu that a big factor is when Stevenson becomes eligible. If Stevenson is eligible, I'd see either him or Ouedrago starting as the big, with Mack, Burke, Green and Cheatham filling out the starting lineup. The non-starter between Stevenson or Ouedrago, Kavas, Curtis and Cross would round out the 9 man rotation. Perhaps Arop will surprise, but from what I saw of him in high school (admittedly only a few games), a redshirt year would probably help him. Thor will provide some depth. 

I'd guess it's likely the starting 5 will be fluid prior to conference play. More important than the starting 5 will be who we'll see on the court at crunch time. I'm hoping we have a core of 3-4 guys who will stand out, with match-ups determining the other 1-2 guys on the floor. The concern I have is our ability to defend true post players. Can we handle guys like Teske and Wesson by guarding them with guys like Stevenson and Kavas? Ouedrago looks like he's got the body to hang, but can he hold his own against experienced D1 players?

On the other hand, if we go small, we create match-up problems for our opponents with traditional 4/5's. It seems like Coach Hoiberg is the type of guy who likes to dictate, rather than react, to the match-ups on the floor.  It would be nice to see a Nebraska team that doesn't have to fight through 5 minute scoring droughts. It should be fun to watch. 

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

It could mean something or it could mean nothing, but Coach A. was on TBL today and said they expect Yvan to contribute right away. They said Cross could contribute this year.

Also, called Curtis an elite scorer who could contribute immediately, too.

I could see Cross and Ouedraogo together combining 30-40 min a game. I think Curtis has a legit chance to play just bc i think we will be playing a lot of 4 gaurd and even 5 gaurd (Stevenson or Kavas as the "5") lineups. 

My only hold up with Samari Curtis is we already have two gaurds who arent known for their 3 point shooting (Mack and Burke, still adequate). So is there room for a third gaurd on the floor who, as far i know, is average from deep?

Someone correct me if im wrong on Curtis.

Edited by khoock

7 hours ago, khoock said:

My only hold up with Samari Curtis is we already have two gaurds who arent known for their 3 point shooting (Mack and Burke, still adequate). So is there room for a third gaurd on the floor who, as far i know, is average from deep?

Someone correct me if im wrong on Curtis.

His coach said he had unlimited range.  Of course, it was his coach so there’s that.

But even if he is average, that is better than what we have been treated to the last decade plus, for the most part.  When I think of an average shooter, I think in the 33% range. 

I just wonder if he will be able to crack the rotation.  We should have some fierce competition at his position.

22 hours ago, khoock said:

So is there room for a third gaurd on the floor who, as far i know, is average from deep? Someone correct me if im wrong on Curtis.

14 hours ago, busticket said:

When I think of an average shooter, I think in the 33% range.

Curtis averaged 33% from three. I'm optimistic that Hoiberg is able to coach these guys up to their potential though. And if he thinks Samari can be a perimeter sniper in the offense, I'm onboard with seeing how it works out.

10 minutes ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

Curtis averaged 33% from three. I'm optimistic that Hoiberg is able to coach these guys up to their potential though. And if he thinks Samari can be a perimeter sniper in the offense, I'm onboard with seeing how it works out.

Thats what i was getting at. Mack and Burke have the same or better percentages from 3 (from the college distance). Now hopefully Hoiberg can turn all three in to good shooters.

3 minutes ago, khoock said:

Thats what i was getting at.

Yeah, I was just confirming. You thought he was average.. busticket said he considered average to be the 33% range.. so I was just adding that Curtis did indeed shoot 33%.

It would be interesting to see a Curtis shot chart from his senior year, or at least a breakdown of the distance he shot from. If he was having to jack shots from 25 feet routinely (because the defense focused on him), that would paint a bit of a different picture. In the article busticket mentioned (posted here by jayschool), the coach said Curtis was allowed to pull from 30 to 35 feet. So maybe just getting open looks from 23 would be enough to up that percentage.

47 minutes ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

Yeah, I was just confirming. You thought he was average.. busticket said he considered average to be the 33% range.. so I was just adding that Curtis did indeed shoot 33%.

It would be interesting to see a Curtis shot chart from his senior year, or at least a breakdown of the distance he shot from. If he was having to jack shots from 25 feet routinely (because the defense focused on him), that would paint a bit of a different picture. In the article busticket mentioned (posted here by jayschool), the coach said Curtis was allowed to pull from 30 to 35 feet. So maybe just getting open looks from 23 would be enough to up that percentage.

If he can indeed shoot 33% while taking some 30ish footers, that is much different than a guy toe-ing the three point line and shooting 33%.  I think it is a reasonable assumption that if he got better quality of looks his percentage could increase significantly.

There are so many story lines with this team I can’t wait to see unfurl....can the season start already?!?!