Next years starting lineup.

I'm going to try to throw out some wild-ass guesses at percentage likelihood of starting for various players like @aphilso1, though I will readily admit I'm probably way off and it'll probably be a completely different picture when all is said and done.

1. I'd give Mack 90% chance of starting.  There's always the possibility that he gets in here and just doesn't pick up the offense and his juco shooting was a lot of smoke and mirrors. That could happen.  Probably won't, but I'm allowing for a small chance that it does.

2. (tie) Green, Burke, Cheatham, I'd all rate at 65% chance.  I think two of these guys are probably going to join Mack in back. Which two is anyone's guess. Jucos always seem to need time to adjust; Burke hasn't played in a year; Cheatham was injured. On paper, though, it could be any or all. Cheatham is the only one who's played at this level; by reputation, Burke was hard to guard in practice last year; but Jervay!, need I say more?

5. (tie) Stevenson, Kavas, I'd rate at 50% chance each.  One of these guys stands a pretty good chance of starting.  I'd say there's a 90% chance we'll see one or the other in the starting lineup.  And maybe a 5% chance they both start (and 5% times two players is 10% total, so ... I think I did the math right, there.)

7. (tie) Ouedraogo and Cross at 45% each. Not sure which one of them is better.  Good chance we'll see one or the other.  There's also a good chance, since they're both freshmen, that we won't see either.  Who really knows at this point?  We haven't seen enough of them.  But just going by the experience of what freshmen are usually like ...

9. Curtis. I'd give him a 20% chance of starting. He can do some things but there's a lot of talent ahead of him on the depth chart and he's only a freshman.

10.  Thor. To be nice, I'll give Thor 3% because he's such a heads-up player who gives you everything he has when he's on the floor.

11.  Arop. 2%. Young. Perhaps a bit raw. Not saying he can't or won't make the rotation and earn some playing time, but the chances he'll start are pretty miniscule.

Having said all of this, I really have no idea.  I'm probably way off.  It's fun thinking about it this year because, jeez, we just really have no idea, it's so up in the air.  Last year, you kinda figured you knew exactly who the starters would be and you were probably right.  This year, it's really anyone's guess. 

So, let's make some guesses!  Those are mine.

50 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Finally, I think there's better than a 3 in 10 chance that Burke starts.  Just some suggestions.  You don't have to take them.

Agreed. Same as with Cheatham having proven himself in the Big East, Burke has proven himself in Division I ball. Green may hold more promise and may be the sniper we need, but until proven otherwise, I'd go with Burke at the 2, Cheatham at the 3 and Green off the bench, probably playing 25-28 minutes nonetheless.

STARTING LINEUP (Solid on both ends)

1. Mack ("I was brought here to run the show.")

2. Burke (Has played Division I ball)

3. Cheatham (Played 2.5 seasons in the Big East)

4. Stevenson (Played 1.5 seasons in the ACC)

5. Ouedraogo (Played in Lithuania once, I heard)

FIRST SUBS (Lightning from the bench)

6. Green

7. Kavas

NEW WAVE (Just give us 5-10 good minutes)

8. Curtis

9. Cross

10. Thorbjarnarsson

WE MAY NEED YOU TONIGHT (But probably not)

11. Arop

12. Piatkowski

13. Easley

WE WILL NEED AT PRACTICE (Every damn day)

14. Banton

15. Walker

Edited by jayschool

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

My head hurts already, and we're just getting started.

Wild offseason. Typically the headache comes from "who are we going to get minutes from"... and now, even though it's all based on potential thus far, it's more "where are we going to get minutes for all these guys".

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Some weirdness happens and a guy not currently on our roster starts, because Nebrasketball: 25%

??

1 hour ago, jayschool said:

Agreed. Same as with Cheatham having proven himself in the Big East, Burke has proven himself in Division I ball. Green may hold more promise and may be the sniper we need, but until proven otherwise, I'd go with Burke at the 2, Cheatham at the 3 and Green off the bench, probably playing 25-28 minutes nonetheless.

STARTING LINEUP (Solid on both ends)

1. Mack ("I was brought here to run the show.")

2. Burke (Has played Division I ball)

3. Cheatham (Played 2.5 seasons in the Big East)

4. Stevenson (Played 1.5 seasons in the ACC)

5. Ouedraogo (Played in Lithuania once, I heard)

FIRST SUBS (Lightning from the bench)

6. Green

7. Kavas

NEW WAVE (Just give us 5-10 good minutes)

8. Curtis

9. Cross

10. Thorbjarnarsson

WE MAY NEED YOU TONIGHT (But probably not)

11. Arop

12. Piatkowski

13. Easley

WE WILL NEED AT PRACTICE (Every damn day)

14. Banton

15. Walker

Though it might not seem like it at first glance, you and I pretty much agree as you did what I said and started Mack, took 2 of Green/Burke/Cheatham, one of Kavas/Stevenson, and one of Cross/Ouedraogo.

But I CANNOT BELIEVE you took Piatkowski over Easley! What are you thinking, man?! You must have been going by name on the back of the jersey. (Everyone knows the BIG fight is which walk-on enters the game first. ?)

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Well, we didn't get the best case scenario; we got the "no Roby, no Jayce Johnson" scenario.

I bring this up now because there's still time for you to reconsider your prediction.  If you told me no Roby, no Johnson, and 15 wins is the over/under, I'll take the overs.  For sure.

They've added Oudraogo, Stevenson, and Cross since then, now I'd guess the over/under at 17.5.  15 or less = disappointment, 16 to 18 = kind of expected, 19 to 21 = pleasant surprise, 22 or more = coach of the year.

6 hours ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

No one can really say whether either of those examples would play-out that way. We do know, however, that Doc's '08-09 team ("smallest team in Div I"), had the 15th best defensive efficiency in the country. That was done in the Big 12, where plenty of legit post players roam, loads of blue-chip talent sign, and is fairly offensive-oriented on a yearly basis. Doc's teams didn't have nearly the offense a Hoiberg team will employ, so I imagine the results might look a bit better than Doc managed alone.

This year's roster and the 2009 roster have a lot of similarities, so it will be interesting to see how it works.  Every once in a while that year Doc would have Sek at the 5 for a few minutes, with Velander at the 4, Richardson at the 3, Harley at the 2 and Cookie at point.  Yes, that specific lineup averaged less than 6'0" tall.  There was a time where the small lineup was giving Kansas fits, so KU rolled out a 5 guard lineup and went on a big run.  It turns out their 5 guards were better than our 5 guards.

Yvan Ouedraogo 6-9   260  Fr.   Chris Balham 6-8   235  Jr.
Kevin Cross 6-8   240  Fr.   Alonzo Edwards 6-7   225  Fr.
Matej Kavas 6-8   200  Sr.   Toney McCray 6-6   205  Fr.
Shamiel Stevenson 6-6   245  Jr.   Cole Saloman 6-5   220  Jr.
Thorir Thorbjarnarson 6-6   205  Jr.   Ade Dagunduro 6-5   200  Sr.
Akol Arop 6-6   190  Fr   Ryan Anderson 6-4   195  Jr.
Haanif Cheatham 6-6   195  Sr.   Sek Henry 6-3   195  Jr.
Samari Curtis 6-4   190  Fr.   Paul Velander 6-2   200  Sr.
Dachon Burke 6-4   180  Jr.   Brandon Richardson 6-0   190  Fr.
Jervay Green 6-3   210  Jr.   Steve Harley 5-11  180  Sr.
Cam Mack 6-2   175  So.   Cookie Miller 5-7   165  So.

15 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'll still take the overs.

That's not surprising, you've taken the overs every year for the last 15 years.  (And possibly longer than that, but I don't remember reading any of your opinions before that point.)

Anyway, I hope you're right.  And just curious, where would you set the O/U line?

On 6/1/2019 at 1:31 PM, khoock said:

If Stevenson is eligible i lean towards him at the four just bc he has weight and length we need and is still a solid 3 point shooter. But who knows it could be the four mentioned above AND Stevenson as starters (Hoiberg said hes not afraid to play 5 gaurds). Lot of unknowns. Thankfully practice will be starting up soon and in a couple months we will have 4 games under our belts to break down and analyze.

If Stevenson is eligible, that's almost certainly the starting 5 I'd predict. Maybe we'll see them in Italy and Cross and/or Yvan are way better than I expect, but I find it unlikely they're gonna be ready to handle a D1/B1G front court from day one. I think we're gonna go "super small" quite a bit. 

I think, if both stick around, Cross and Yvan are gonna be a nightmare for B1G opponents for years to come, though, just not likely this November. We'll see about February and March.

So, to get it down and official, my starting five is:

Mack

Green

Burke

Cheatham

Stevenson (assuming eligible)

If he's not, IDK, who would jump in. If he is, I'd be more than mildy surprised if it's different than this when we play our first game in November. Maybe Curtis is way better than I realize and he starts from his first on campus. Who really knows?

Edited by uneblinstu

5 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

If Stevenson is eligible, that's almost certainly the starting 5 I'd predict. Maybe we'll see them in Italy and Cross and/or Yvan are way better than I expect, but I find it unlikely they're gonna be ready to handle a D1/B1G front court from day one. I think we're gonna go "super small" quite a bit. 

I think, if both stick around, Cross and Yvan are gonna be a nightmare for B1G opponents for years to come, though, just not likely this November. We'll see about February and March.

So, to get it down and official, my starting five is:

Mack

Green

Burke

Cheatham

Stevenson (assuming eligible)

If he's not, IDK, who would jump in. If he is, I'd be more than mildy surprised if it's different than this when we play our first game in November. Maybe Curtis is way better than I realize and he starts from his first on campus. Who really knows?

I think there are 7 or 8 possible starters (and numerous combinations of lineups) we could see. 

Mack, Green, Burke, Cheatham, Kavas, Stevenson, Cross/Ouedraogo (whoever is better; dont think both will be ready right off the bat) all have chances to start. Everyone else not mentioned has a chance to be part of the rotation, but there chances to be a starter are very limited in my opinion. Makes for a fun offseason of speculation and guessing.

On 6/1/2019 at 12:43 PM, jayschool said:

We supposedly have an elite defender in Cheatham, so I'm curious why so many are willing to bring him off the bench instead of one of the more offense-minded backcourt players such as Green or Burke, especially because Cheatham came here as a grad transfer. Yes, I see you have him playing 24 minutes, but other teams will start their best offensive players, and it seems we want Cheatham out there defending from the start, to set a tone. Plus, he's a pretty good offensive player himself. Otherwise, I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment.

Isn't Cheatham more valuable closing games than starting them?

I don't think Hoiberg signed all these guys based on his starting 5 pitch.  I'm guessing he was able to pitch pace of play and how that equates to playing time for damn near everyone who can conceivably contribute meaningful minutes.  That's why he had to wipe the roster.  

We'll go 8-9 deep and expect the players in to not pace themselves.  Cheatham will have to play.  A lot.  I also don't think Samari is coming in to sit this year.  I think he'll have a solid amount of true freshman minutes at PG and spotting the other guards.  Kavas, Ouedraogo, and Cross will all play a lot.  

It's going to be a hell of a show.  This team is built for speed.  We have to keep in mind we haven't seen this sort of pace since, maybe, Nee.  Dudes get gassed in it.  

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

It's going to be a hell of a show.  This team is built for speed.  We have to keep in mind we haven't seen this sort of pace since, maybe, Nee.  Dudes get gassed in it.  

Can we play the Nuggets' favorite game, the elevation game?

Big Ten Cities Elevation

• Lincoln 1,176'
  • Iowa City 558'
  • Minneapolis 830'
  • Champaign 764'
  • Evanston 610' 
  • Madison 873'
  • West Lafayette 614'
  • Bloomington 771'
  • East Lansing 856'
  • Ann Arbor 840'
  • Columbus 902'
  • State College 1,154'
  • Piscataway 52'
  • College Park 69'

To be honest, I don't care who starts and I don't think it matters because whoever starts at the 5 for us, in my opinion, will not play more than 20 mpg and we'll end up with a bunch of guards on the court most of the time. I'll subscribe to the KISS (keep it simple stupid) theory:

These 9 guys will play (if healthy and eligible, in order of how confident I am they will play a lot)

Cam Mack (duh)

Haanif Cheatham (he was brought here by Fred for one season for a reason)

Matej Kavas (see above)

Dachon Burke (has to play a ton)

Jervay Green (has to play a ton)

Shamiel Stevenson (as big a 6-6 dude as you'll find, he'll hold his own in the Big Ten)

Yvan Ouedraogo (more physically ready than Cross)

Samari Curtis (super talented addition so late in the process)

Kevin Cross (has skills but needs to get in shape to see anything extensive...if Shamiel only becomes eligible in January, think he takes Cross's minutes)

These 4 will get mop-up time:

Thorir Thorbjarnarson

Akol Arop

Charlie Easley

Jace Piatkowski

These 2 will not play:

Dalano Banton

Derrick Walker

Edited by GoBigFred

My mop up squad (which hopefully we are on the good side of plenty next season) is:

Charlie Easley 

Jace Piatkowski 

Samari Curtis

Thorir Thorbjarnarson 

Kevin Cross

I have Curtis and Cross in the rotation but playing low minutes, those type of guys usually get extra minutes in these types of situations. I have Thor on the outside looking in. And obviously you play your walkons when games get out of hand. As i have stated before, Arop is redshirting in my predictions.

I looked at this a while back, so I could be mis-remembering, but I believe the only team to sign multiple consensus Top 10 Juco recruits for 2018-19 was New Mexico State. I'd gladly take the season they had 100 times out of 100 ... minus the final few seconds of it, of course.

11 hours ago, khoock said:

Cam Mack (#3) and Jervay Green (#8) both finished in the Top 10 JUCO ratings. We were the only school with two top ten JUCO players this recruiting cycle.

Also Thorir averaged 9.3 points per game in helping lead Iceland to a 5th place finish.

Per LJS

Here's the story:

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/nu-men-s-hoops-notes-mack-green-are-top-/article_ca835a55-0c1b-5d4b-ab57-a40c731d05e7.html

I think one problem we’re having here is people want to fit guys into the old 1,2,3,4,5 slots for a lineup. Basketball today really has 3 positions: the Point, Wings, and Bigs.

This offense will certainly have 3 wings playing at the same time quite a bit. My complete guess for a lineup goes:

point: Mack

Wings: Green, Burke, Cheatham

Big: Cross

Some guys obviously fit into multiple positions, but it all depends on match ups.

There will be a ton of open transition 3s.

No way a true big can hack that for 30+ minutes.  Having lots of quick wings with length will give you plenty of second chances and depth matters.

We flat have never had a team like this.  Not even under nee.  Moe iba? Lol

Think more Loyola Marymount early 90s than anything.  Or BYU with jimmer.  They're going to try and blow everyone out.

Edited by kleitus