Next years starting lineup.

That team is going to light it up some nights.

We've never had a team that plays like this (much less had the talent) so people have no idea.

If this team keeps it close defensively you'll blink and be up 15.

Edit I need to add... against anybody.

Edited by kleitus

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtHw2_1lElM/

Cheatham was on the All-Big East defensive team for two years and was assigned to guard All-Americans like Josh Hart and Trevon Bluiett. He can set the tone defensively against perimeter scorers. His shooting mechanics are good and he'll be given the confidence to let it fly. He's also pretty crafty and strong around the rim.

I think Burke will be a pesky perimeter defender too. I have some questions about his shot, but I'm sure it'll improve. He can definitely blow by people and finish at the rim. We'll basically have 7 starters, IMO.

Yep... 

Sadler will make our d above average by the end of the year at minimum.

The gelling process... if it is half as fast as this recruiting insanity, this team is a sweet 16 team and a very difficult ncaa out due to guard play

Nobody has a clue because I cant think of a team that has ever turned over like this with this kind of talent.

4 minutes ago, kleitus said:

Ok duh blonde moment.  

Some years they suck some years they don't 

It's basically how they put it together and we're in the same boat but we don't have a roster full of NBA players.

Thus, I'd say we have the talent to make (and even win a tourney game next year) and we also have the volatility to be sub-.500 if we can't figure out how to put all the pieces together.

Will all/most of the roster be here when summer workouts start in June?

So many pieces to put together! Im glad we got Samari Curtis bc we needed depth. Im just surprised they went the high school route, but they must really like him. My guess is we are always gonna have three gaurds on the floor. That means there were 120 minutes to divide up between Mack, Green, Burke, and Cheatham (or 30 min each). The only problem with that is none of them played P5 basketball last year so I didnt feel comfortable relying on all four to be ready to take on that heavy of a load. Chances are atleast one if not more will struggle with the transition for parts or all of the season. Curtis gives us another option at the 2 and 3. Also could maybe play Thor at 3. So we have some options to work with.

In the front court we have Stevenson, Kavas, Arop, Cross, and Ouedraogo. Also the possibility of Thor/ Cheatham at the 4 if we go real small. I think either Cross/Ouedraogo start but dont necessarily play alot of minutes. I also think Stevenson will play some 5. He has the wingspan and weight to hold up decently and the potential to be a huge offensive mismatch. Kavas is strictly at the 4 and his minutes will depend of if he is on or off shooting the ball. Even if Stevenson is uneligible for the first half, I think the staff still tries to red shirt Akol. Hes too slight of build rn, and unlike Cheatham, doesnt have the shooting ability (atleast I dont think so) to cause any mismatches at the 4 in a small line up.

Thats my take with knowing nothing but what we all can see from the surface.

Good question @khoock. I don't know whether the sit-out transfers can play in games in Italy but I'm pretty sure they can practice with the team.  Ouedraogo, unfortunately, will be playing for France in the FIBA Euro Champs until Mid-August, so he won't be here until after that point, so he'll miss all of that preparation for Italy and the opportunity to gel with the team.

I haven't heard of anyone else who won't be here right away.  I think they can show up basically the first 5-week session of summer school, which would start in early June, if I'm not mistaken.

50 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

It's basically how they put it together and we're in the same boat but we don't have a roster full of NBA players.

Thus, I'd say we have the talent to make (and even win a tourney game next year) and we also have the volatility to be sub-.500 if we can't figure out how to put all the pieces together.

Look how quickly these guys get this play down and all the counters and variations.

Edited by Norm Peterson

3 hours ago, JBARGIE said:

I think it’s officially safe to start predicting starting lineups now that the roster is (probably) final.

My prediction:

PG Mack 35 mpg

SG Green or Burke 30 mpg

SF Cheatham 30 mpg

PF Kavas 25 mpg

C Yvan or Cross 25 mpg

6 Green or Burke 20 mpg

7 Stevenson 15 mpg

8 Yvan or Cross 15 mpg

9 Curtis 5 mpg

10 Thor & walkons 0-1 mpg

RS Arop

RS Banton

RS Walker 

9 man rotation with plenty of depth, besides PG.  I don’t think these grad transfers came here to come off the bench...

1's - Mack/Curtis

2's - Burke/Green/Curtis/Cheatham/Kavas

3's - Cheatham/Kavas/Thor/Stevenson

4's- Stevenson/Ouedraogo/Cross

5's - Ouedraogo/Cross

Playing time

Mack - 35

Burke -30

Green - 25

Cheatham - 25

Cross - 25

Stevenson - 20

Ouedraogo - 15

Kavas - 15

Curtis - 10

Thor - <5

If Roby comes back Curtis redshirts, Thor is out and Stevenson/Ouedraogo/Cross minutes drop.  The rest stays the same

There were media folks that I heard openly speculate NU would have competed for the B1G title if Burke had been available this season. He might be the best scorer on the roster. He's not gonna come off the bench.

And if Curtis is as good as it appears he is, he might be the first one off the bench. I don't think he'll be fighting for the scrub minutes.

If I had to put my starting five out there (I'm gonna assume no Roby and Stevenson gets the waiver), I'd go with this:

Mack

Burke

Greene

Cheatham

Stevenson

I could see some real growing pains for Cross and Yvan. Stevenson is a pretty important player for this team.

Kavas is first off the bench. Curtis is right behind. Cross and Yvan next depending on how quickly the game slows down for them.

Edited by uneblinstu

33 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Look how quickly these guys get this play down and all the counters and variations.

I'd like to think between Hoiberg, Doc, and Lutz that we will figure this out but just assuming we're going to be good because we got a brand new team doesn't mean everyone and everything is going to gel together. I can very easily make the argument that Indiana's roster last year was more talented than the one we are going to roll out and that thing was an absolute mess that pulled it together for an NIT bid. Those Hoiberg plays don't work so well if guys are injured or fighting over the same girl in January.

48 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I haven't heard of anyone else who won't be here right away.  I think they can show up basically the first 5-week session of summer school, which would start in early June, if I'm not mistaken.

Thorir will be playing the in the Small State Games of Europe so he could be late.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Games_of_the_Small_States_of_Europe

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

This is exactly the type of coaching I want my son to get.

Let's compare.  Miles sounds like me coaching my sons 5th grade basketball team.  I keep trying to find him someone that can teach spacing and plays, because he is getting to a place that is beyond my coaching capacity.

Tim Miles coaching

Edited by big red22

6 minutes ago, big red22 said:

This is exactly the type of coaching I want may son to get.

Let's compare.  Miles sounds like me coaching my sons 5th grade basketball team.  I keep trying to find him someone that can teach spacing and plays, because he is getting to a place that is beyond my coaching capacity.

Tim Miles coaching

Here is a Tim Miles quote from a coaching clinic that I wrote down. "If you have great space in your offense, I call that standing still... but if you're discombobulated, that means the defense is too. So maybe there's a real opportunity to attack." It actually made my jaw drop. Conversely, Fred always says something along the lines of, "the single most important thing we work on every day is spacing."

As the great Chuck Daly once said, "Offense is spacing and spacing is offense."

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

Here is a Tim Miles quote from a coaching clinic that I wrote down. "If you have great space in your offense, I call that standing still... but if you're discombobulated, that means the defense is too. So maybe there's a real opportunity to attack." It actually made my jaw drop. Conversely, Fred always says something along the lines of, "the single most important thing we work on every day is spacing."

As the great Chuck Daly once said, "Offense is spacing and spacing is offense."

Yikes if that is true.  Are you sure the quote wasn’t “....but if you are discombobulated you are f#%€$d!”?

Spacing is huge for making opportunities to attack.  Driving lanes, open shooters, etc.  Just because you are spaced out doesn’t mean you just stand there.

And being a cluster f$&k on offense does not mean the defense will be too.  It’s pretty easy to defend an offense that is tripping over themselves.

3 hours ago, busticket said:

Yikes if that is true.  Are you sure the quote wasn’t “....but if you are discombobulated you are f#%€$d!”?

Spacing is huge for making opportunities to attack.  Driving lanes, open shooters, etc.  Just because you are spaced out doesn’t mean you just stand there.

And being a cluster f$&k on offense does not mean the defense will be too.  It’s pretty easy to defend an offense that is tripping over themselves.

I watched a Husker game with a former KU starter a few years ago. He said he would've loved to play against Nebraska because he'd basically be able to rest during defensive possessions. When you have 3 guys standing within 8 feet of each other and they're all watching Petteway/Palmer/Tai try to make a play on their own, it's pretty easy to defend. The lack of understanding of basic concepts of spacing, player movement and rotations to keep proper spacing was apparent to him.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Heady did a "Meet the Huskers" article of the roster now that its its official (as official as you can feel about a roster in college bball).

Cam Mack, Dachon Burke, and Yvan Ouedraogo were the only players that got a "likely starter" reference in their short write up. FWIW

4 hours ago, khoock said:

Chris Heady did a "Meet the Huskers" article of the roster now that its its official (as official as you can feel about a roster in college bball).

Cam Mack, Dachon Burke, and Yvan Ouedraogo were the only players that got a "likely starter" reference in their short write up. FWIW

Let's say Mack, Burke and Ouedraogo start, and that they're joined by Cheatham at the 3 (defensive stopper) and Stevenson at the 4, provided he gets his waiver and plays in November.

That's means you're bringing assassins Green, Curtis and Kavas off the bench, along with Cross.

That's some scoring punch off the bench against what likely will also be bench players from other teams. That sounds like fun