Next years starting lineup.

1 – Cam Mack  6-2  175                                30 min.    13 pts.  3 rebs.   7 assists

2 – Jervay Green  6-3  210                            34 min.    16 pts.  4 rebs.   4 assists

3 – Haanif Cheatham  6-6  195                    26 min.     8 pts.    5 rebs.   2 assist

4 – Shamiel Stevenson  6-6  245                 26 min.    10 pts.  7 rebs.   1 assist

5 – Yvan Ouedroago  6-9  260                     18 min.     3 pts.    6 rebs.  

G – Dachon Burke  6-4  185                         26 min.    11 pts.  4 rebs.   1 assist

F – Matej Kavas  6-8  200                             22 min.    8 pts.     3 rebs.

F – Kevin Cross  6-8  240                              10 min.    3 pts.    2 rebs.

G – Thorir Thorbjarnarson  6-6  210            8 min.       2 pts.   2 rebs.    1 assist

Rest of team: Garbage time/spot minutes

Minutes distribution - 2 and 3 (and often times 4 in a lot of his half-court offense stuff) are essentially the same position and interchangeable. So I guess this is kind of a breakdown of who the players will be guarding. 

1 – Mack  30.  Green  10.

2 – Green 24 .  Burke  16.

3 – Cheatham  26.  Burke  10.  Thor  4. 

4 – Stevenson  14.  Kavas  22.  Thor  4.

5 – Yvan  18.   Stevenson  12.  Cross  10.

This is assuming Roby leaves and Stevenson gets a waiver. I'm sure I’ll change my mind on this a bunch before the season starts.

I’m extremely high on Jervay. Maybe more so than other people are. He reminds me of Donovan Mitchell in a lot of ways. I think we’ll be in a lot of close games this year and he’ll make it hard to keep him off the floor. I think he’ll be the guy with the ball in his hands when we need someone to make a play. He averaged 35 mpg last year and WNCC played at a very fast pace. I know it’s a whole different level of basketball (and he’ll have to play defense), but I trust he’ll be well conditioned and ready to go.

Might be in the minority here, but I actually like Thor and think he can contribute a little. His 10 rebound game against Wisconsin was impressive. The guy is pure hustle and he has a great feel for the game. It’s been reported that the staff likes him at the 4 in their system. That said, it wouldn’t shock me if Cheatham, Stevenson and Kavas took up his minutes. We probably won’t see a 9 man rotation on a regular basis. Hoiberg liked to play 7-8 at Iowa State and wasn’t afraid to play his best players a ton of minutes.

I don’t have Burke starting, but have him playing starters minutes and think he’ll be one of our top 4 scorers. It’d be nice to have a slashing/attacking guard off the bench, similar to how NBA teams do it with their second units. I think he’ll be on the floor at the end of games. He's not listed at the “1” here, but I’m sure we’ll see him initiate the offense at times.

I have no idea if Cross will be ready to make an immediate impact (I like his potential down the road). I considered dropping him down to spot minutes and increasing Yvan and Shamiel’s playing time. Depending on score and situation, I think Stevenson or Kavas will be on the floor at the 5 at the end of games. With Mack, Green, Burke and Cheatham 1-4. Sorry for the long post, I need more hobbies. This is all just a shot in the dark, but it's kinda fun to me

4 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

1 – Cam Mack  6-2  175                                30 min.    13 pts.  3 rebs.   7 assists

2 – Jervay Green  6-3  210                            34 min.    16 pts.  4 rebs.   4 assists

3 – Haanif Cheatham  6-6  195                    26 min.     8 pts.    5 rebs.   2 assist

4 – Shamiel Stevenson  6-6  245                 26 min.    10 pts.  7 rebs.   1 assist

G – Dachon Burke  6-4  185                         26 min.    11 pts.  4 rebs.   1 assist

F – Matej Kavas  6-8  200                             22 min.    8 pts.     3 rebs.

F – Kevin Cross  6-8  240                              10 min.    3 pts.    2 rebs.

G – Thorir Thorbjarnarson  6-6  210            8 min.       2 pts.   2 rebs.    1 assist

Minutes distribution - 2 and 3 (and often times 4 in a lot of his half-court offense stuff) are essentially the same position and interchangeable. So I guess this is kind of a breakdown of who the players will be guarding. 

1 – Mack  30.  Green  10.

2 – Green 24 .  Burke  16.

3 – Cheatham  26.  Burke  10.  Thor  4. 

4 – Stevenson  14.  Kavas  22.  Thor  4.

5 – Yvan  18.   Stevenson  12.  Cross  10.

This is assuming Roby leaves and Stevenson gets a waiver. I'm sure I’ll change my mind on this a bunch before the season starts.

I’m extremely high on Jervay. Maybe more so than other people are. He reminds me of Donovan Mitchell in a lot of ways. I think we’ll be in a lot of close games this year and he’ll make it hard to keep him off the floor. I think he’ll be the guy with the ball in his hands when we need someone to make a play. He averaged 35 mpg last year and WNCC played at a very fast pace. I know it’s a whole different level of basketball (and he’ll have to play defense), but I trust he’ll be well conditioned and ready to go.

Might be in the minority here, but I actually like Thor and think he can contribute a little. His 10 rebound game against Wisconsin was impressive. The guy is pure hustle and he has a great feel for the game. It’s been reported that the staff likes him at the 4 in their system. That said, it wouldn’t shock me if Cheatham, Stevenson and Kavas took up his minutes. We probably won’t see a 9 man rotation on a regular basis. Hoiberg liked to play 7-8 at Iowa State and wasn’t afraid to play his best players a ton of minutes.

I don’t have Burke starting, but have him playing starters minutes and think he’ll be one of our top 4 scorers. It’d be nice to have a slashing/attacking guard off the bench, similar to how NBA teams do it with their second units. I think he’ll be on the floor at the end of games. He's not listed at the “1” here, but I’m sure we’ll see him initiate the offense at times.

I have no idea if Cross will be ready to make an immediate impact (I like his potential down the road). I considered dropping him down to spot minutes and increasing Yvan and Shamiel’s playing time. Depending on score and situation, I think Stevenson or Kavas will be on the floor at the 5 at the end of games. With Mack, Green, Burke and Cheatham 1-4. Sorry for the long post, I need more hobbies. This is all just a shot in the dark, but it's kinda fun to me

I just took the dog for a walk and started calculating the exact same things while waiting for Marcel to poop.

Marcel is my dog. He knows how to pronounce Ouedraogo, but at the end of the walk, he didn't give a shit.

Edited by jayschool

17 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

I actually enjoy doing this as well and will say I have the same starting 5 and similar rotation.

53 minutes ago, khoock said:

I actually enjoy doing this as well and will say I have the same starting 5 and similar rotation.

Samari Curtis will play, in my opinion. We have 11 eligible scholarship players and it wouldn't surprise me if any of the 11 were regulars in the rotation. There will be some stiff competition for playing time. I don't necessarily think they will rush into starting Ouedroago (dude was just recently 16 years old) or Cross just because. I think they'll go small ball with Stevenson as a big bodied guy who can handle business down low for a bit. 

1 Cam Mack

2 Jervay Green

3 Haanif Cheatham

4 Shamiel Stevenson

5 Matej Kavas

---

Dachon Burke

Yvan Ouedraogo

Samari Curtis

Kevin Cross

Thor Thorbjarnarson

Akol Arop 

Charlie Easley

Jace Piatkowski

Sit Out: Derrick Walker, Delano Banton

Just now, GoBigFred said:

Samari Curtis will play, in my opinion. We have 11 eligible scholarship players and it wouldn't surprise me if any of the 11 were regulars in the rotation. There will be some stiff competition for playing time. I don't necessarily think they will rush into starting Ouedroago (dude was just recently 16 years old) or Cross just because. I think they'll go small ball with Stevenson as a big bodied guy who can handle business down low for a bit. 

1 Cam Mack

2 Jervay Green

3 Haanif Cheatham

4 Shamiel Stevenson

5 Matej Kavas

---

Dachon Burke

Yvan Ouedraogo

Samari Curtis

Kevin Cross

Thor Thorbjarnarson

Akol Arop 

Charlie Easley

Jace Piatkowski

Yeah, I thought I might be selling Curtis short. If he's good enough to break into that guard rotation, that would be great. 

I wasn't sure about Yvan either. But that's when I thought he was 6-7 230. Now he's 6-9 260 and built like a house. And he's been going to "school" at one of the best basketball training factories in the world. So I gave him the nod at the 5. He won't be asked to do much. Set good screens, crash the boards on both ends and be a serviceable low post defender. 

4 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Yeah, I thought I might be selling Curtis short. If he's good enough to break into that guard rotation, that would be great. 

I wasn't sure about Yvan either. But that's when I thought he was 6-7 230. Now he's 6-9 260 and built like a house. And he's been going to "school" at one of the best basketball training factories in the world. So I gave him the nod at the 5. He won't be asked to do much. Set good screens, crash the boards on both ends and be a serviceable low post defender. 

You’re right, and the dude has an NBA body at 17 and his ceiling is sky high. At the very least he will play a lot. 

19 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

1 Cam Mack

2 Jervay Green

3 Haanif Cheatham

4 Shamiel Stevenson

5 Matej Kavas

---

Dachon Burke

Yvan Ouedraogo

Samari Curtis

Kevin Cross

Thor Thorbjarnarson

Akol Arop 

Charlie Easley

Jace Piatkowski

I have Samari Curtis in the rotation and Thor outside of it. Yvan starting but not playing heavy minutes. Akol redshirting with Walker and Banton. You dont really need Akol to play especially if Shamiel is eligible. Give him a year to work on his 3 pt shooting and get up to 215-220 range.

Edited by khoock

I think Yvan and Cross will split minutes pretty evenly at the 5.  Yvan will be more consistent as a post/physical presence but I think Cross will have a 20+ pt night here and there.  Cross is no slouch on the glass or defense if you watch his film, and he’s plenty physical.  He’s also more explosive than Yvan vertically and can shoot the 3.  I’m thrilled about both of them.  I don’t think either one will be a deer in the headlights as freshmen.  They’re damned near as heavy as Maric was coming out of high school.  <—Yvan’s game reminds me of Maric, actually.  I think the Draymond comparison for Cross is spot friggin on.  

35 minutes ago, khoock said:

I have Samari Curtis in the rotation and Thor outside of it. Yvan starting but not playing heavy minutes. Akol redshirting with Walker and Banton. You dont really need Akol to play especially if Shamiel is eligible. Give him a year to work on his 3 pt shooting and get up to 215-220 range.

Yep. that's pretty close to where I'm at on the redshirts. I'd also imagine the walk-ons will be redshirt candidates for both Jace Piatkowski and Charlie Easley.

Edited by AuroranHusker

On 5/14/2019 at 9:07 AM, hhcmatt said:

Roby's status would clear up things for a grad transfer.  If you're a post player grad transfer in search of a lot of playing time having Roby here puts a big dent into that.

This post didn't age well.

But, then again, who knew @Searching 4 Chester Surles had such ridiculous, magical powers?

I'm thinking of asking him to materialize me a new car. Like maybe a Porsche.

21 minutes ago, GATA said:

Considering the level Hoiberg and Co. are recruiting at, do we want Arop to redshirt? Is he talented enough to warrant a five-year investment?

Akol is the type of kid you want to take a gamble on investing in imo. Low risk high reward

7 minutes ago, khoock said:

Akol is the type of kid you want to take a gamble on investing in imo. Low risk high reward

Local kid who can glean a lot of good vibes while he's making progress over the long haul. I like Akol Arop's upside at NU. I think Hoiberg can use him, likely better than Miles could have. But that's hindsight and a bit of foresight mixed together. ?

40 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Our roster reminds me of having a fantasy football draft where you get all your guys and but when you go to put together your week 1 starters you think "oh crap"

I had wondered about the interchangeable parts of it all. Who starts? Who finishes? Rotations?

It will be an interesting summer trip from August 3-13 in Italy, that's for sure.

10 hours ago, LK1 said:

Predictions wo Roby:

Mack gets huge minutes

Green/Curtis

Burke/Cheatham

Stephenson/Kavas

Cross/YO

Other hot take predictions:

Legit 9 deep rotation  

Green/Burke/Cheatham help w PG.

Stephenson plays plenty of point forward

Cross gets specific sets where he brings the ball up

Akol RS, Thor blowout minutes

I  am in agreement with LK1's line of thinking.  I thought Burke played the best in last year's intersquad scrimmage.   HIs overall game is good.  He is a very quick and was good on defense and getting to the hoop for score and rebounds.   His 3pt shooting is good enough that you have to respect it and when you play up on him he will  go by you. Hard to leave him out of the lineup  for  me.   

I think Cheatham is going to get  starter+ minutes as the 6th man and as a result I don't think Curtis and Thor will get a lot of minutes.   They will play reduced minutes but more minutes than the scout players

Kavas will be instant offense coming off the bench and  be the 7th guy.   I think he gets significant minutes but not starter minutes due to his defense.     

I think  Yvan is in the rotation for major minutes as the 8th guy.   Mainly because we need a 2nd enforcer&rebounder.   I think Cross wins the start as he is a bit more polished and less likely to turn the ball over.  (traveling)  but I think Yvan is very strong and powerful and when he gets settled in  and gets a year or 2 under his belt, he could win the starting job.  

I would like to see Arop redshirt.    Lack of college experience puts him behind Kavas&Cheatham to begin with.    His best shot for playing time is at the 4 but he will need to get bigger&stronger.   For playing time at the 3 he needs to improve his outside game.

Roby going pro,  Thor goes international pro next year.  He may even change his mind and do it this year?  

Scout team:

Banton(rs)

Easley

Jace

Arop(rs)

Walker(rs)

Edited by REDitus

I think it’s officially safe to start predicting starting lineups now that the roster is (probably) final.

My prediction:

PG Mack 35 mpg

SG Green or Burke 30 mpg

SF Cheatham 30 mpg

PF Kavas 25 mpg

C Yvan or Cross 25 mpg

6 Green or Burke 20 mpg

7 Stevenson 15 mpg

8 Yvan or Cross 15 mpg

9 Curtis 5 mpg

10 Thor & walkons 0-1 mpg

RS Arop

RS Banton

RS Walker 

9 man rotation with plenty of depth, besides PG.  I don’t think these grad transfers came here to come off the bench...

Edited by JBARGIE