Illinios vs. Nebraska series Game Thread.

Bugeaters1

On 4/27/2019 at 12:35 AM, royalfan said:

Sorry, we do not have much offensive talent.  

Palinsky, Chick, Acker, Schwellenbach, Gomes are a few players who have talent.  The rest of the team probably not so much.  The ? is do they end up like Asche, and get a cup of coffee in the bigs or Altavilla and struggle for their final 2 years here. 

Their approach with 2 strikes is horrible, but it also is en vogue in the majors, now.

1 minute ago, brfrad said:

Palinsky, Chick, Acker, Schwellenbach, Gomes are a few players who have talent.  The rest of the team probably not so much.  The ? is do they end up like Asche, and get a cup of coffee in the bigs or Altavilla and struggle for their final 2 years here. 

Their approach with 2 strikes is horrible, but it also is en vogue in the majors, now.

Guys in majors hit for power though.  

We don't seem to work the count much this year.. Even last year we took a lot of pitches and made guys throw a ton of pitches to make them work.. We semi or it feels like we go up and swing a bit more early in the count and then can't make the other guy throw more.

Mojo is very good at this.. A lot of foul balls to make that pitch work.. Also would be nice to play in some good weather once.

4 hours ago, brfrad said:

Man, I am placed in a position to argue a very important point.  You state only a few players have talent, where the rest of the team, probably not so much.    Gosh, to get to high Division I level...to play anything beyond high school, is an accomplishment.  You have to have talent to compete at this level.  I understand that there are different levels of talent.  I can certainly jump on board with that type of opinion, at all levels, you have the best of the best; but to field, throw, hit, hit for power takes talent.

47 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Man, I am placed in a position to argue a very important point.  You state only a few players have talent, where the rest of the team, probably not so much.    Gosh, to get to high Division I level...to play anything beyond high school, is an accomplishment.  You have to have talent to compete at this level.  I understand that there are different levels of talent.  I can certainly jump on board with that type of opinion, at all levels, you have the best of the best; but to field, throw, hit, hit for power takes talent.

I would argue we’re very talented, just not put in a position to succeed. I posted the stats in another thread, we’re not a bad contact team - we just don’t sacrifice, we don’t run, we don’t hit for power. Our hitters are out there in no mans land trying to hit station to station. Put pressure on a college defense they will crumble (see Illinois 9th inning sac bunt we botched).

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I worded that wrong.  I just put the guys who I thought had upper level talent.  I think Gunner would be included in that group, possibly Roskam.  The other players have showed flashes (Hallmark on the opening weekend), but I don't think they will be/should be everyday players.  Another solid recruiting class, and the talent will be there.  Now, to develop them.  One extra base hit this weekend is not going to get the job done.  We are very fortunate not to have gotten swept.  The good news is we get Northwestern (a sweep is a must).  We need to get some momentum going into the last 2 weekends.  

2 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I would argue we’re very talented, just not put in a position to succeed. I posted the stats in another thread, we’re not a bad contact team - we just don’t sacrifice, we don’t run, we don’t hit for power. Our hitters are out there in no mans land trying to hit station to station. Put pressure on a college defense they will crumble (see Illinois 9th inning sac bunt we botched).

We are a bad contact team.  We are 10th in the Big 10 in strikeouts per plate appearance.  I would like to see more sacrifices.  We do run a decent amount, as we are 5th in the Big 10 in stolen base attempts per game going into this weekend.  I think as some of the players get older (Schwellenbach, Chick, Palinsky, Gunner, and Gomes), they will get more power, but they are young, and haven't developed that power, yet.

The 6th inning was this season in a nutshell (at least the last 3 weeks.  The first two batters reach on a HBP, and a single.  I know we are down 4 - 0, but still have 3 more opportunities to score.  If the inning plays out like it did, and we get the bunt down.  There are runners at 2nd and 3rd with 1 out.  A wild pitch puts a runner on 3rd, and scores a run.  The next batter strikes out, but the batter after gets a single to left.  We would have a 4 - 2 game with a runner at 1st and 2 outs.  We're back in the game.  A 3 run 7th gives us a 5 - 4 lead.  

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Come on man.  Obviously the discussion is talent in relation to expectations.  This is silly.  

12 minutes ago, brfrad said:

We are a bad contact team.  We are 10th in the Big 10 in strikeouts per plate appearance.  I would like to see more sacrifices.  We do run a decent amount, as we are 5th in the Big 10 in stolen base attempts per game going into this weekend.  I think as some of the players get older (Schwellenbach, Chick, Palinsky, Gunner, and Gomes), they will get more power, but they are young, and haven't developed that power, yet.

The 6th inning was this season in a nutshell (at least the last 3 weeks.  The first two batters reach on a HBP, and a single.  I know we are down 4 - 0, but still have 3 more opportunities to score.  If the inning plays out like it did, and we get the bunt down.  There are runners at 2nd and 3rd with 1 out.  A wild pitch puts a runner on 3rd, and scores a run.  The next batter strikes out, but the batter after gets a single to left.  We would have a 4 - 2 game with a runner at 1st and 2 outs.  We're back in the game.  A 3 run 7th gives us a 5 - 4 lead.  

Appreciate the stats. My bad, I assumed we were a decent contact team because we really don’t do anything else well. Kirby with the late stop sign at 3rd was insane. You HAVE to be aggressive running the bases when you are hitting like we are. You send him all day long. 

5 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Come on man.  Obviously the discussion is talent in relation to expectations.  This is silly.  

I think our entire roster is built on kids that many B1G teams couldn’t get. We own the B1G footprint recruiting wise. This teams is more talented then 95% of the B1G and we always have been.