2019 PF Kevin Cross - LOI

khoock

12 hours ago, thrasher31 said:

He's versatile. Turn that fat into muscle and we will have a player on our hands. His versatility is probably the reason Hoiberg pursued him. Love bigs that are versatile like him

His game still reminds me of Niang.  Scores at all levels, good passing skills.  Maybe a bit undersized at PF depending on his measurements.

I’ll take it up a level. He’s our Doug McDermott.  Under recruited, a bit undersized, scores from everywhere.  We won’t be able to keep him off the court.  Kevin is going to do it to them until he is a two time AA.  I have seen zero film showing he is not comfortable shooting from 28 feet so I will assume it is in his tool box until proven otherwise.   Okay, this paragraph probably isn’t going to happen, unless it does, then I nailed it.

too much hype for a kid without a Rivals profile?

9 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

Both players have some questions, otherwise they probably wouldn't still be searching for a school this late in the game. I think the biggest thing here is in the past we would bring these guys in who had potential and do nothing with them. I think we have a staff now that will actually get these guys into shape and teach them how to be better at basketball. 

Yvan needs to develop something other than a hook shot and work on his explosiveness and playing above the rim. Those slow low post moves won't work against the Big Ten big men. But he's 17 and he's huge. You can work with that. 

Kevin needs some weight room strength and conditioning work, but if he's willing to work he'll be good to go. He has plenty of tools to work with, he can shoot, he can dribble, he's 6-7 or 6-8, and he's got a frame that could put on a ton of muscle. 

Both guys have tons of potential, in my opinion, and I don't think the staff signed them thinking that they will be major contributors this year on an NCAA Tournament team. Unfortunately we may need one or both to play right away when a redshirt would benefit both, but I am guessing nobody redshirts this year because the staff won't be interested in saving anybody for 5 years from now when they probably plan to have consistent 4-5 star players by that point. 

I see Arop redshirting this year with Banton (bc he has to).

26 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Should have made bigger arrows 

Heiman ----> Ouedraogo

Harris ----> Banton

Davis ----> Cross

In what way do you see Blanton as a different style player other than not being terrified to shoot?

There's always the emoji route

Heiman ➡️ Ouedraogo

Harris ➡️ Banton

Davis ➡️ Cross

10 minutes ago, ShortDust said:

I see Arop redshirting this year with Banton (bc he has to).

I would agree he is most likely to. But if Stevenson doesn't get a waiver and we end up with only 9 eligible scholarship guys for the first semester, he may have to play. I guess it depends on if the staff thinks he will have a future here in 5 years or if they want to get the clock rolling .

5 minutes ago, 49r said:

If you and I (and @Searching 4 Chester Surles obviously) go to NY and pick Precious up and drive him back to Lincoln this week would that be considered a recruiting violation?

Naaah.  That's not an NCAA violation. No worries about any NCAA issues at all.

It would, however, be a felony.  And since it would involve crossing state lines, you'd get the FBI involved.

But you shouldn't have any trouble with the NCAA.

48 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

I would agree he is most likely to. But if Stevenson doesn't get a waiver and we end up with only 9 eligible scholarship guys for the first semester, he may have to play. I guess it depends on if the staff thinks he will have a future here in 5 years or if they want to get the clock rolling .

They won’t have a 9 man rotation, so even if Stevenson isn’t available 1st semester I think he redshirts regardless.

Cross looks crazy good to me.  I’m as excited about him as anyone else in the class.  He also looks all of 6’8” from my lens.  Looks like a legit 3pt threat.  I think he starts at the 4 or 5 in the fall after some summer conditioning.  

Watch his film and watch Roby or Morrow’s high school film and tell me Cross isn’t a more impressive player at the same age.  He is downright skilled offensively.  

On 5/13/2019 at 10:24 PM, Norm Peterson said:

I think Cross is a bit more explosive and athletic than Jeriah.  Jeriah was fairly skilled, but I don't think he's any more skilled than Kevin Cross.

I think the Cross tape might be a bit deceptive since he was going against lesser competition. Horne squared up to the #1 recruit in the country in MO's state championship game and basically matched him in performance.

9 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

It's somewhat hard to follow, but if you go back, they're talking about Arop redshirting. Arop has not used his redshirt year.

I hope I am wrong, but I can envision scenarios where Arop doesn't work out well here.  I cannot pinpoint why, just a gut instinct.  

Edit.  I figured out the reason why.  I think we are just going to have too many players better than him.  

Edited by royalfan

6 hours ago, royalfan said:

I hope I am wrong, but I can envision scenarios where Arop doesn't work out well here.  I cannot pinpoint why, just a gut instinct.  

Edit.  I figured out the reason why.  I think we are just going to have too many players better than him.  

You may be right, and if so, I hope that would be the reason. But, he’s a stunning athlete and I see the potential for him to develop a consistent and accurate three-point jumpshot. I could also see him being a lockdown defender able to guard the 1 through the 4. He’s worth giving an opportunity to, one that could pay significant dividends.

49 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

You may be right, and if so, I hope that would be the reason. But, he’s a stunning athlete and I see the potential for him to develop a consistent and accurate three-point jumpshot. I could also see him being a lockdown defender able to guard the 1 through the 4. He’s worth giving an opportunity to, one that could pay significant dividends.

Certainly agree that he deserves an opportunity.  I see many scenarios where my hunch will be wrong.  Hopefully it is extremely wrong.  

2 hours ago, royalfan said:

Certainly agree that he deserves an opportunity.  I see many scenarios where my hunch will be wrong.  Hopefully it is extremely wrong.  

I have the same feeling.  Arop is a decent athlete but I'm not sure he does anything really well, especially compared to Big Ten players.  Hopefully he is a hard worker and will develop his game.  I see him as a bench/role player down the line.

28 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I have the same feeling.  Arop is a decent athlete but I'm not sure he does anything really well, especially compared to Big Ten players.  Hopefully he is a hard worker and will develop his game.  I see him as a bench/role player down the line.

I have heard he is extremely athletic and has very good leaping ability plus like a 6'9-6'10 wing span. Hoiberg also said he likes the foundation of his shot even though he didnt showcase it a lot.

I could see him being a significant bench piece in the future and is atleast worth a shot at developing. Best case scenario is hes that versatile defender who can lock down 1-4, hits open threes, and puts a few people on poster during his time here. 

2 hours ago, khoock said:

I have heard he is extremely athletic and has very good leaping ability plus like a 6'9-6'10 wing span. Hoiberg also said he likes the foundation of his shot even though he didnt showcase it a lot.

I could see him being a significant bench piece in the future and is atleast worth a shot at developing. Best case scenario is hes that versatile defender who can lock down 1-4, hits open threes, and puts a few people on poster during his time here. 

Yep.  He reminds me of Ade.  All indicators are that he’s an absolutely great kid as well.  Great athlete + great kid typically results in a meaningful contribution.  I think he’ll become a 3 (serviceable) and D (elite) guy for us with this staff.  

The other thing: clearly Fred isn’t keeping anyone on this roster if they don’t fit his vision.  Nothing could possibly be more clear than that. I trust his intuition way more than my own.  

41 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Yep.  He reminds me of Ade.  All indicators are that he’s an absolutely great kid as well.  Great athlete + great kid typically results in a meaningful contribution.  I think he’ll become a 3 (serviceable) and D (elite) guy for us with this staff.  

The other thing: clearly Fred isn’t keeping anyone on this roster if they don’t fit his vision.  Nothing could possibly be more clear than that. I trust his intuition way more than my own.  

Kind of found a few things that I have found to be really funny about some thoughts on this site tie into something you said here.

We have some people on here that are all in on Fred and everything he will/has done so far.. Then in the next breath complain that we are keep Thorir and that Arop is all ready looking to leave the program because of lack of playing time.?

• hhcmatt changed the title to 2019 PF Kevin Cross - LOI
On 4/25/2019 at 10:49 PM, TheKamdyMan said:
On 4/25/2019 at 10:34 PM, LK1 said:

I’m so confused about Kevin Cross.  That’s a future NBA player with very little attention.  Looks like a 5* talent.  Poor man’s Lebron.  What in theee hell?! 

I was going to stay in his home state of a raw version of Corliss Williamson.

His Husker commitment tweet got the blessing from Big Nasty himself...

corliss.png

Edited by Searching 4 Chester Surles