2019 PF Kevin Cross - LOI

khoock

Here’s a bit of information that lends legitimacy to their recruiting class:  according to Rivals, three of their recruits (a five star and two four stars) list Memphis as their hometown.

That said, they have seven commits (again, according to Rivals): two five stars and five four stars that hail from such additional places as Florida, Mississippi and California.

1 minute ago, Swan88 said:

Here’s a bit of information that lends legitimacy to their recruiting class:  according to Rivals, three of their recruits (a five star and two four stars) list Memphis as their hometown.

That said, they have seven commits (again, according to Rivals): two five stars and five four stars that hail from such additional places as Florida, Mississippi and California.

yeah, I see that now. I guess that helps having the No. 1 player in your hometown and also signing 7 guys. 

18 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

Penny Hardaway's name about to become Dollar Hardaway

I'm sure Memphis has the nation's No. 1 recruiting class completely legally and without any shady stuff going on. I know Memphis is the dream program to play for right now. 

Not saying youre wrong but look at what Hoibergs doing at a place like Nebraska. Nebraska is a nobody in college basketball and no offense but a lot kids probably dont know  who Fred Hoiberg is right off the top of their head.

Penny is at a better program historically and his name rings out much more than Hoiberg's. Kids know Penny Hardaway and if they dont their mama, daddy, uncle or somebody close sure does.

Not inconceivable, but I also wouldnt be surprised if youre right.

Edited by khoock

Just now, Swan88 said:

Didn't these FBI trials prove that even if you're trying to pay guys they still don't end up at your school?

In addition to all of these local talented kids you're talking about 3 NBA guys in Penny, Sam Mitchell, and Mike Miller. A combination of local talent and selling yourself as a road to the NBA is what most 5 stars are looking for

1 minute ago, khoock said:

Not saying youre wrong but look at what Hoibergs doing at a place like Nebraska. Nebraska is a nobody in college basketball and no offense but a lot kids probably dont know  who Fred Hoiberg is right off the top of their head.

Penny is at a better program historically and his name rings out much more than Hoiberg's. Kids know Penny Hardaway and if they dont their mama, daddy, uncle or somebody close sure does.

To be fair I'm not singling out Memphis. I believe almost all the top programs cheat. I mean the FBI has all but confirmed that in recent months. Nobody cares though, so they'll continue to do it and get away with it. 

48 minutes ago, khoock said:

Fortunately, Memphis can only have 13 players on scholarship at any given time, which means there will be plenty of sloppy seconds for us.

But we're not without some recruiting drawing cards ourselves.

While people might not recognize his name as much as Penny's, Hoiberg's name carries some cred. He not only played in the league, but he coached there, too.  And when he coached in college, they won. And, in five seasons of college coaching, he can point to the names of half a dozen or so players that he coached to the league.

Nebraska might not have the history and tradition of Memphis, but we're in a stronger conference and the Nebraska brand still carries some cachet.  Plus, we have a lot better fan support with top 10-15 annual attendance.

And our facilities and player amenities are among the best in the nation.

So, in the things that would matter to potential recruits, we do have some things to sell them on.

It'll be interesting to see if Penny can blend all that infusion of talent into a cohesive group this coming season. He's not lacking for talent so one could argue the results better be there, no excuses.  But Penny has very little track record as a coach.  It'll be interesting to see what happens.

33 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

It'll be interesting to see if Penny can blend all that infusion of talent into a cohesive group this coming season. He's not lacking for talent so one could argue the results better be there, no excuses.  But Penny has very little track record as a coach.  It'll be interesting to see what happens.

They have Kentucky level talent now. I'd estimate the coaching chops are there. This looks like a 6 seed at minimum. 

On 5/14/2019 at 8:21 AM, throwback said:

Wow - I didn't think there was any way we'd take both Yvan & Cross - once again showing off my complete ignorance on most things. 

Our hit rate on guys we've brought in for officials this spring has been unreal. Good sign going forward.

I hope it means that the staff got who they wanted most, and not more a matter of convenience in the moment of guys who needed spots late in the process. Only time will tell...