2019 PF Kevin Cross - LOI

khoock

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I like Kevin's film. But his photos from his various visits to different schools shows a guy who needs to spend some quality time with a strength and conditioning coach. He has some baby fat that needs to come off his belly.  He needs to tighten up.  We have some beefy dudes on this roster now.  He needs to be one of them.

I am very curious to see what the Nebraska Basketball twitter account has to say about his ht/wt.  I'd also love to know his wingspan and vertical.  And I'd be really curious to see what happens when he and Yvan square off against each other.  Because I bet it would be epic.

Kinda reminds me of Horne from a body composition. He definitely needs to cut weight. 

Just now, GATA said:

Kinda reminds me of Horne from a body composition. He definitely needs to cut weight. 

Cut weight in some areas.  Maybe just reposition it. More muscle, less fat, etc.

I think Horne is an interesting comparison.  I think Cross is a bit more explosive and athletic than Jeriah.  Jeriah was fairly skilled, but I don't think he's any more skilled than Kevin Cross.

I think if Kevin gets busy in the weight room, he'll be even more explosive.

He kinda reminds me a bit of Deonte Burton, but maybe that’s just lazy because I’m thinking of Hoiberg’s old Cyclone teams. 

Nice handles for a big, and could really transform his body with a college S&C program. Burton was only 6-4 but played bigger because he was a bull. 

Not as sold as others on this kid and Yvan. That being said I trust Hoiberg knows the type of body that works for his system and he must feel like he can get them ramped up quick enough.

As Norm mentioned we need to get some of the baby fat off cross.

Biggest thing with both these guys is getting them to buy in. Get that and re-shape their bodies and who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

TCU is a P5 conference school.  How many players have we won in head-to-head recruiting battles with them this spring?

Cross and Ouedraogo for sure. Anyone else?

I think that’s it for committed guys.  I think it is pretty awesome we got two kids they wanted after the complete beating they gave us in the NIT.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

And I'd be really curious to see what happens when he and Yvan square off against each other.  Because I bet it would be epic.

Based on Yvans pictures I think that kid has seen a gym or two. I’m hoping there’s a little friendly competition between the two this summer in workouts, conditioning and practice that elevates both. I don’t know who’s in charge of bigs with the new coaching staff but these two guys together seem like a great project for Gates

3 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Cross already posted his commitment video to his Instagram page. He's N!

Dammit. He posted that like an hour after I logged off/shut it all down. I missed all the excitement, after I tortured myself looking for clues (his Twitter likes certainly were no help).

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Wow, Chet, that's genius. Nice detective work.

Yeah, I unlocked the quadruple-secret-verbal-commit mystery and forced to him to announce early... ??

No, but seriously... total shot in the dark.

1 hour ago, busticket said:
3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

TCU is a P5 conference school.  How many players have we won in head-to-head recruiting battles with them this spring?

I think that’s it for committed guys.  I think it is pretty awesome we got two kids they wanted after the complete beating they gave us in the NIT.

GET WRECKED TCU!!*

*they're also after Ntambwe.

7 hours ago, rwhiston said:

Based on Yvans pictures I think that kid has seen a gym or two. I’m hoping there’s a little friendly competition between the two this summer in workouts, conditioning and practice that elevates both. I don’t know who’s in charge of bigs with the new coaching staff but these two guys together seem like a great project for Gates

Yvan is playing in the FIBA Euro championships in August. Won’t be here until after our Italy trip.

6 hours ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

Dammit. He posted that like an hour after I logged off/shut it all down. I missed all the excitement, after I tortured myself looking for clues (his Twitter likes certainly were no help).

Yeah, I unlocked the quadruple-secret-verbal-commit mystery and forced to him to announce early... ??

No, but seriously... total shot in the dark.

GET WRECKED TCU!!*

*they're also after Ntambwe.

All I gotta say is you're a got-damned witch there, Checkers!  You spoke the player's commitment into reality.  Really great work and I'm glad to have you on our side!  ?

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

(Also, I don’t think Harris’ skill set fits the PG role in the Hoiberg offense.)

Seems like a very big part of the reason he is no longer here.

I think Banton and his turnover rate could be a questionable fit for the PG here as well but both guys identify as ball handlers.

46 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Heiman->Ouedraogo

Harris->Banton

Davis->Cross

At first I thought you were saying all three of those guys were >(more than/better) that the 3 we brought in.

While I am in a "wait and see mode with Yvan and Cross, I do think both have much higher ceilings than the guys we lost.

I liked Harris but obviously Blanton is a different style of player. 

1 hour ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

At first I thought you were saying all three of those guys were >(more than/better) that the 3 we brought in.

While I am in a "wait and see mode with Yvan and Cross, I do think both have much higher ceilings than the guys we lost.

Should have made bigger arrows 

Heiman ----> Ouedraogo

Harris ----> Banton

Davis ----> Cross

In what way do you see Blanton as a different style player other than not being terrified to shoot?

1 hour ago, 49r said:

All I gotta say is you're a got-damned witch there, Checkers!  You spoke the player's commitment into reality.  Really great work and I'm glad to have you on our side!  ?

So who do we put Chester on next?  With the limited slots available we can be pretty picky.

1 hour ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

Both players have some questions, otherwise they probably wouldn't still be searching for a school this late in the game. I think the biggest thing here is in the past we would bring these guys in who had potential and do nothing with them. I think we have a staff now that will actually get these guys into shape and teach them how to be better at basketball. 

Yvan needs to develop something other than a hook shot and work on his explosiveness and playing above the rim. Those slow low post moves won't work against the Big Ten big men. But he's 17 and he's huge. You can work with that. 

Kevin needs some weight room strength and conditioning work, but if he's willing to work he'll be good to go. He has plenty of tools to work with, he can shoot, he can dribble, he's 6-7 or 6-8, and he's got a frame that could put on a ton of muscle. 

Both guys have tons of potential, in my opinion, and I don't think the staff signed them thinking that they will be major contributors this year on an NCAA Tournament team. Unfortunately we may need one or both to play right away when a redshirt would benefit both, but I am guessing nobody redshirts this year because the staff won't be interested in saving anybody for 5 years from now when they probably plan to have consistent 4-5 star players by that point.