2019 PF Kevin Cross - LOI

khoock

10 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Looking at him standing next to Hoiberg, I'm inclined to believe he's closer to 6-6 than 6-8. And if he's 240#, then 20 of that 240 is biggie-sized fries and a shake.

But I'll take it.  His highlight video, you can't fake.  The kid has tools.

Yeah about 6foot 6.5 inches or so it looks like.  That is a little disappointing but they key is that he plays taller than he is.  Looks to have long wingspan in the videos.  

3 hours ago, royalfan said:

With this news my new height guess is 6’ 7.2 “

For some perspective, Kenny Goins is listed at 6'7, 230# and averaged almost 9 rebounds for Michigan State this past season.

Also, he didn't attempt a single trey his first two seasons in college. As a junior, he attempted 15 and made 4 (26.7%.)

Then, as a senior, he was 56 of 163 from downtown, a rate of 34.4%.  That's an impressive development and shows it can be done.

53 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

For some perspective, Kenny Goins is listed at 6'7, 230# and averaged almost 9 rebounds for Michigan State this past season.

Also, he didn't attempt a single trey his first two seasons in college. As a junior, he attempted 15 and made 4 (26.7%.)

Then, as a senior, he was 56 of 163 from downtown, a rate of 34.4%.  That's an impressive development and shows it can be done.

Including an incredibly important one to send them to the final 4 on a play designed for him to take a 3 by a great coach.  

Edited by royalfan

On 4/25/2019 at 9:46 PM, Dead Dog Alley said:

His tape looks a lot like Ed Morrow's high school tape.  Except for he's two inches taller.  And 20 lbs heavier.

On 4/29/2019 at 12:38 PM, HuskerBBall said:

Our Charles Barkley?

I'm gonna go with a poor man's Jeriah Horne. In case anyone already forgot about this dude, here's a reminder...

Edited by Searching 4 Chester Surles

13 minutes ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

I'm gonna go with a poor man's Jeriah Horne. In case anyone already forgot about this dude, here's a reminder...

Horne was a pretty good shooter. I dont think Cross is one at this point.

3 hours ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

I can see the comparison. I wouldn't say "poor man's" Horne. I would say Cross is springier than Jeriah; has better ups. Horne might have been a better outside shooter at the same age. But you don't see much video of Jeriah Dunking or blocking shots. I think that's because Jeriah wasn't as explosive.  And I think Cross has better interior moves. But, other than that, I see some similarities, sure.

Yeah, I still don't see the comparison.  Body type is similar, but that's where it ends for me.  Horne played smaller than his size.  Drifted around the perimeter a lot.  Strongly preferred playing with his face to the basket.  Had a really nice stroke from deep.  Was surprisingly unathletic; you couldn't slide a phone book under his sneakers when he jumped.  Does any of that describe Cross' tape?  Similar body type, but very different style of play.

4 hours ago, khoock said:

Horne was a pretty good shooter. I dont think Cross is one at this point.

4 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

His game doesn't resemble Jeriah's IMO.

I guess it depends on what you're using to compare the two. Are you judging them at the same points in their careers? Or are you taking a high school Kevin Cross and matching it against the subjective memory of Horne's time (and how he was used) at Nebraska?

Looking at the high school tape of each... they're both chubby 6'6" dudes. They both can face-up or play back-to-the-basket. They both have ball skills (the hesi, the euro, crossover, behind-the-back, spin move, etc). And they both got shots off at a variety of levels. Cross is slower, less athletic/fluid, and his stroke is a little busted in comparison to Horne's. All of which is why I labeled him the "poor man's" version.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I would say Cross is springier than Jeriah; has better ups. [...] But you don't see much video of Jeriah Dunking or blocking shots. I think that's because Jeriah wasn't as explosive.

That's quite possible. But I also think that has something to do with a player's attitude. I've seen plenty of 6'10" athletic dudes that just refused to dunk the ball. Everything is a layup. I've also seen plenty of guys (Morrow comes to mind) that want to smash it every time they get the ball near the hoop. Horne is definitely more finesse around the cup, while Cross is more aggressive. Seemed like Horne was more willing to attempt a layup with a high degree of difficulty than go strong (maybe he was just building tape for his Jelly Fam application). But looking at each of their games, they seem to use similar movesets in getting to where they want to go.

Video of Cross drilling ball skills (posted a couple days ago)...

Video of Cross reading a poem for his senior English class... ? ... let's see some film breakdown of this...

Edited by Searching 4 Chester Surles

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Yeah, I still don't see the comparison.  Body type is similar, but that's where it ends for me.  Horne played smaller than his size.  Drifted around the perimeter a lot.  Strongly preferred playing with his face to the basket.  Had a really nice stroke from deep.  Was surprisingly unathletic; you couldn't slide a phone book under his sneakers when he jumped.  Does any of that describe Cross' tape?  Similar body type, but very different style of play.

This

9 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

One similarity is that they are both able to hit mid-range looks off the bounce. IMO, they have similar perimeter jumpers. Cross is a better ball handler, passer, and leaper.

10 hours ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

Video of Cross drilling ball skills (posted a couple days ago)...

Video of Cross reading a poem for his senior English class... ? ... let's see some film breakdown of this...

It’s hard for me to watch Kevin Cross highlights videos unless there is a woman off camera yelling “KEVINNNN!!!!” after everything he does.