R.I.P. Hondo

jimmykc

It wouldn't be right for a basketball board to ignore the passing of one of basketball's greatest players. John Havlicek played for Ohio State, then for the Celtics for 16 seasons. For those who never saw him play, he was one of the toughest players I ever saw, best in clutch situations, playing through injuries and in any role which would help the team. An automaton on both offense and defense who never seemed to tire, he was the ultimate competitor.  Any of today's younger superstars would do well to emulate his off-the-court behavior. R.I.P. indeed.  

Completely saddened and dejected when I heard the news of his passing.   I only saw him play in the last 5 or so years of his career.  I learned quickly after developing a love for basketball as a child that "Hondo" Havlicek was my dad's favorite player.  I then began to admire him myself- both his on the court play and his demeanor and character off of it.  He was my first childhood sports idol, and I can't even think of another that I could classify as such after him.   I wish he was getting more attention in light of his passing- but he wouldn't have wanted it anyway.  R.I.P. John Havlicek- and many thanks for the memories.  ?