2019 Transfer Dalano Banton-WKU - LOI

17 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

One of the highlight videos said Banton had reclassified up a year to attend college earlier. So he is young for his grade, and with him getting to sit out this year and focus on his skills, I bet we see a much more mature, better player in a year from now. 

I hope he can figure it out he could be an amazing player if he does. He can be a great player even if he doesn't. But I have seen to many guys never improve to just assume he will young or not. If Hoiberg or one of his assistants can teach and actually prioritize rebuilding or improving players form it will be priceless. Banton will be a great example of that.

Another thought, most of us think of a team with classic roles.  It is becoming more evident that players will be interchangeable.  This was somewhat the same with the line up we had last year, but moving forward it will really be accentuated.

12 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Another thought, most of us think of a team with classic roles.  It is becoming more evident that players will be interchangeable.

I wouldn't doubt Hoiberg would put 5 - 5'11" guys out there if they were all total ballers. Then he'd offensively scheme them into averaging 92.7 points per game.

29 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Another thought, most of us think of a team with classic roles.  It is becoming more evident that players will be interchangeable.  This was somewhat the same with the line up we had last year, but moving forward it will really be accentuated.

At the end of the day somebody is the point guard as somebody brings the ball up the floor the majority of the time. This person has the first chance to attack the defense and often has the unique position of being able to have a running start when they get to the defense which can be helpful. But otherwise I agree it doesn’t matter all that much if we call him a 2 or a 4 offensively. 

2 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

At the end of the day somebody is the point guard as somebody brings the ball up the floor the majority of the time. This person has the first chance to attack the defense and often has the unique position of being able to have a running start when they get to the defense which can be helpful. But otherwise I agree it doesn’t matter all that much if we call him a 2 or a 4 offensively. 

True to a point cj, but there are teams and players who have gone against the trend of classic point guards.  In the Bird era, he brought the ball down and often initiated the offense.  Same with Jordan and LeBron.  I guess the point I am attempting to make is that Coach Hoiberg seems to have that sort of creative mindset.  Coaches often say they want the best players on the court or field.  We may see that saying come to fruition.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

True to a point cj, but there are teams and players who have gone against the trend of classic point guards.  In the Bird era, he brought the ball down and often initiated the offense.  Same with Jordan and LeBron.  I guess the point I am attempting to make is that Coach Hoiberg seems to have that sort of creative mindset.  Coaches often say they want the best players on the court or field.  We may see that saying come to fruition.

Oh yeah in the Lebron/Jordan/Bird sincerio I consider them the point guard just like Giannis or Ben Simmons would be today. I like the trend of putting the ball in the best players hands, as long as they can dribble and create, as much as possible. But is the best facilitator Banton in our case? I think Cam will generally be the better option. But maybe we will play him off ball for 10-20 minutes with Cam and 10 min at point guard as the back up. That would be my guess.

• hhcmatt changed the title to 2019 Transfer Dalano Banton-WKU - LOI
  • 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Really like the young Livingston comparison. Here's to hoping he works harder than MCW...

I don't think work ethic has ever been the issue with MCW. But, like Livingston* and Banton, his FG efficiency isn't great (wasn't in college either). Also, he's been set back by a bunch of small injuries (knees/wrist) and a few major surgeries (labral tears in both his hip and shoulder). That hip tear (which was early in his career), hampers first-step quickness, and has body-bagged several NBA players over the years. It's the reason why Isaiah Thomas fell off a cliff.

* Shaun Livingston has only taken 73 threes (!!) in his 13 year career for a reason. He only hits 18% of them.

Just now, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

I don't think work ethic has ever been the issue with MCW. But, like Livingston* and Banton, his FG efficiency isn't great (wasn't in college either). Also, he's been set back by a bunch of small injuries (knees/wrist) and a few major surgeries (labral tears in both his hip and shoulder). That hip tear (which was early in his career), hampers first-step quickness, and has body-bagged several NBA players over the years. It's the reason why Isaiah Thomas fell off a cliff.

* Shaun Livingston has only taken 73 threes (!!) in his 13 year career for a reason. He only hits 18% of them.

Interesting asterisk regarding Livingston. His 15-17 foot jumper has been money for years. I think Banton can develop into a good three point shooter. The mechanics are there. 

Just now, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

Yeah, it's kinda weird. Most players would drill the crap out of a skill and try to force it into existence. Livingston just learned early-on where his bread was buttered and decided to focus on that.

They both have fluid athleticism, great vision and a point guard's feel for the game at 6'7"-6'8". Still a good comparison, IMO.