2019 Transfer Dalano Banton-WKU - LOI

Looks to be visiting this weekend with Mack, Johnson, and Yvan. 

former 4 star.

6-8 G/F. Can honestly play 1-3 and some 4.

Had minutes fluctuate at wku so he decided to transfer it seems. 

Almost had a triple double against Wisconsin. Seems versatile and has a lot of potential. 

Edited by thrasher31

Here's his bio from the Western Kentucky website:
"FRESHMAN (2018-19): Appeared in 31 games with 12 starts, averaging 15.1 minutes per outing… Averaged 3.4 points, three rebounds and 2.1 assists… Shot 40.2 percent from the field and made 19 of 34 free throws… Nearly had triple-double vs. No. 15/16 Wisconsin with eight points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists in 38 minutes – career highs in the final three categories… 1 of 6 players in the nation with a game of eight points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists in 2018-19… Recorded most assists in a game (10) by a WKU freshman since 2002… Scored 11 points with six assists and a career-high three blocks vs. Saint Mary’s on Dec. 22… Tallied five points, three rebounds and seven assists in 38 minutes in his second career start at Arkansas on Dec. 8… Played 12 minutes and made his first start in his college debut at Washington on Nov. 6.  HIGH SCHOOL: Reclassified into the 2018 class after graduating early… Scored more than 1,000 points as a senior at Redemption Christian Academy… Named team MVP and Power 5 Conference MVP… Ranked as the No. 80 player in the nation in 2018 class by Rivals and No. 92 player in the 247Sports Composite rankings."

He's not a three point shooter -- went under .300 at Western Kentucky.

Here's his interview with Robin. 

Mentions that they could apply for a waiver, but he's content with sitting out a year to work on his body. He's 6-8 195 so he needs to put on some weight before the start of the 20-21 season preferably. 

He also jumped up and reclassified from the 19 to the 18 class, so the year off will do him a lot of good

55 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

He also jumped up and reclassified from the 19 to the 18 class, so the year off will do him a lot of good

The weird thing is that he's the same age as Karrington Davis and older than Amir Harris so I"m not sure why he was in the class of 2019 to being with unless this is a Canada thing.

Just now, hhcmatt said:

The weird thing is that he's the same age as Karrington Davis and older than Amir Harris so I"m not sure why he was in the class of 2019 to being with unless this is a Canada thing.

Canada is weird. So I'm guessing it is. 

Jokes aside, more than likely is. 

• hhcmatt changed the title to 2019 Transfer Dalano Banton-WKU - VC

I will be interested to see where he fits. It seems like he would be best at point guard especially if he continues to struggle shooting from distance. If he doesn't play pg will he play the 4 on offense? Can he post up? Is it worth it to take the ball out of Burke, Mack, or Greens hands to give him more ability to create? I think it would be.

Also wondering how this affects who we will continue to go after recruiting wise? With only 1 or 2 scholarships left is there anyone we would be less likely to take now? I like the pick up he seems like a quality player but it certainly makes things interesting moving forward.

Just now, cjbowbros said:

I will be interested to see where he fits. It seems like he would be best at point guard especially if he continues to struggle shooting from distance. If he doesn't play pg will he play the 4 on offense? Can he post up? Is it worth it to take the ball out of Burke, Mack, or Greens hands to give him more ability to create? I think it would be.

Also wondering how this affects who we will continue to go after recruiting wise? With only 1 or 2 scholarships left is there anyone we would be less likely to take now? I like the pick up he seems like a quality player but it certainly makes things interesting moving forward.

He's Amir Harris.  But a better passer, better shooter, longer and just as athletic.

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

He's Amir Harris.  But a better passer, better shooter, longer and just as athletic.

I can only hope he is as good a defender. What makes you say better shooter though? All I've seen is 22% from 3 and under 60% FT though I'm assuming that was on very low attempts. Did he shoot better in high school?

2 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

I can only hope he is as good a defender. What makes you say better shooter though? All I've seen is 22% from 3 and under 60% FT though I'm assuming that was on very low attempts. Did he shoot better in high school?

Did you see Amir's numbers from last season? He didn't attempt a 3 and shot 28% from the free throw line. 

24 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

Did you see Amir's numbers from last season? He didn't attempt a 3 and shot 28% from the free throw line. 

22 minutes ago, PointGuard said:

In pregame, Amir didn't even shoot around.  He sat on the bench.  I guessed they didn't want the other team see how bad he was.

Wow that does put things into perspective. I guess I just feel like at some point your 3pt% is just too bad to take a three at all. But if he's better from midrange that could help and of course he will need to shoot FTs so I guess 56% would be better. Either way if he doesn't improve he's not going to stretch the floor very much so the other team will still be able to sag and help when he's on the floor.

Edited by cjbowbros

8 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

Wow that does put things into perspective. I guess I just feel like at some point your 3pt% is just too bad to take a three at all. But if he's better from midrange that could help and of course he will need to shoot FTs so I guess 56% would be better. Either way if he doesn't improve he's not going to stretch the floor very much so the other team will still be able to sag and help when he's on the floor.

One of the highlight videos said Banton had reclassified up a year to attend college earlier. So he is young for his grade, and with him getting to sit out this year and focus on his skills, I bet we see a much more mature, better player in a year from now.