Cheatham is N

hskr4life

46 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Is it wrong of me to wonder about Roby class attendance?

Wonder? No. When I taught at UWashington, we occasionally would have an athlete in a similar situation and there's all sorts of reasonable accommodations that can be made depending on the temperament of the instructor/professor pr department policies. 

Upperclassmen courses are frequently not as attendance-obsessed as underclassmen ones, especially if you know you're likely to be involved in a lot of travelling, which most athletes do anyway. You can trade papers for attendance, for example (my tool of choice) or trade an incomplete for a summer makeup (which would wind up being papers for attendance anyway). 

Athletes aren't the only undergraduates who can travel a ton during the course of a year. I debated for Nebraska and we were gone far more than any athlete since our competitive season lasted the entire academic year. We just had dispensation from the Dean's Office to have a crapload of excused absences, but we always had to get the coursework done properly. 

I really want Mack here, but this is already great news as Cheatham will start.  Burke, Green, and Cheatham are all very good ball handlers and at least two of them are serviceable point guards.  

So right now:

Green

Burke

Cheatham

Amir

Heiman

^^^^ that’s actually a really formidable lineup.  It looks like we’ll get a PF and C though, which could very well mean an entirely new starting lineup.  The more I think about Fred’s system, the more I think Amir can be a valuable part.  Having a 6’6” elite defender/athlete who can guard 1-4 and play PG is a hell of a luxury.  If we can can get a GT C Heiman will likely be a great compliment off the bench.  

In general, we could field a sneaky deep roster next season if a few of our current guys stay/get healthy enough to contribute.  

13 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I wouldn't say Duby Okeke had no impact, but he didn't receive a ton of minutes either.

True.  I am attempting to recall when the senior transfer rule came into affect.  It hasn't been very long, correct?  Heck, for that matter, transferring was not that "popular" until about ten years ago plus/minus.  When discussing transfers in total though, wouldn't you say that the Huskers have not only gained but also lost our share of transfers over that time span?

4 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

True.  I am attempting to recall when the senior transfer rule came into affect.  It hasn't been very long, correct?  Heck, for that matter, transferring was not that "popular" until about ten years ago plus/minus.  When discussing transfers in total though, wouldn't you say that the Huskers have not only gained but also lost our share of transfers over that time span?

Sure. Transferring is part of the game now. There's enough transfers in the portal to field 50-some teams. I would argue that Nebraska gained more through the transfers than they've lost. Outside of Andrew White and Michael Jacobson, can you think of any impact players that have left? 

1 hour ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

Sure. Transferring is part of the game now. There's enough transfers in the portal to field 50-some teams. I would argue that Nebraska gained more through the transfers than they've lost. Outside of Andrew White and Michael Jacobson, can you think of any impact players that have left? 

I am not even certain if those two would be considered impact players.  Perhaps White was an impact player, but I would say MJ is more of a complimentary player rather than an impact player.  He was in that same role as a Husker.  Morrow somewhat the same.  The PG that came from St. Anthony's in NJ went to East and had a decent career as did a couple others.  But generally, few have if any made an impact elsewhere, especially in comparison to the transfers we have benefited from.

4 minutes ago, throwback said:

Jacobson started every game this year for the Big 12 tourney champs that was a #6 NCAA seed - averaged 11+ ppg and almost 6 rebounds. That's a significant impact in my book. 

Can't disagree that he is an important player for them.  But an impact player carries the following definition:

An impact player is a difference maker. A player that changes a game with one play. An explosive player who commands opposing teams attention.

I just don't believe that he meets that definition.

On 4/20/2019 at 9:17 PM, coughunter said:

Michael Lewis said he didnt think he would come back next year and no reason for him to fwiw.  

The more I think about it, the less likely I think it is that Roby returns.

We have Dachon Burke becoming eligible this year. He averaged double figure scoring at his last stop. We just got a commit from Haanif Cheatham. He averaged double figure scoring for basically his career before Nebraska. We got a recommit from Jervay Green who averaged over 20 ppg in junior college. We're seeking a commit from a PG who averaged nearly 20 ppg in junior college.

We're going to have a lot of guys who want their share of the shots.

You come back to a totally new system, having no idea for sure how you fit in or whether you'll be a focus ... or not ... and you run a risk of being odd man out in a system that maybe favors guard play. Who knows?

I think it's a big risk for a guy with NBA aspirations like Isaiah. Would love to have him back but I would not begrudge his decision to remain in the draft if that's what he chooses to do.

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

We have Dachon Burke becoming eligible this year. He averaged double figure scoring at his last stop. We just got a commit from Haanif Cheatham. He averaged double figure scoring for basically his career before Nebraska. We got a recommit from Jervay Green who averaged over 20 ppg in junior college. We're seeking a commit from a PG who averaged nearly 20 ppg in junior college.

You come back to a totally new system, having no idea for sure how you fit in or whether you'll be a focus ... or not ... and you run a risk of being odd man out in a system that maybe favors guard play. Who knows?

I think it's a big risk for a guy with NBA aspirations like Isaiah. Would love to have him back but I would not begrudge his decision to remain in the draft if that's what he chooses to do.

Yeah, that pretty much runs the gamut of where I'm at on this. Would be fun for the fans to celebrate Zay on Senior Day, not sure that's a good enough reason for Roby to return. Last year Cope & JPJ came back, but that was supposed to be as leaders on a championship-contending team trying to do B1G things in 2019, next season is likely not anywhere near that level of expectation as far as 2020. Wish my vision could see, oh what a year from now will be.... like, say, 20/20. ?

Edited by AuroranHusker

18 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think we’re about set to have a really solid backcourt. Roby would go a long way to giving us a solid lineup, top to bottom. But he’d want to be the focal point, and with all those scoring guards, who knows what opportunities would be there for him?

While that is true there will be a "learning curve" for all of these guards. Coming from Robert Morris, JUCO, and FGCU (big East for a stint) up to the big ten, they'll have a sort of "shell shock" type reaction. I think if Roby were to return they'd lean heavily on him because he knows how to win and play in the big ten. And, as it's been said multiple times, he's a perfect fit as a 4/small ball 5 in Hoibergs system. There would be shots to go around, especially in an up tempo offense. 

Now I don't think he's returning. He has areas to improve in my opinion that can catapult him, but the reasons you stated, and him getting another year older and losing the possibility of being a 1st Rd pick will diminish significantly. 

On 4/20/2019 at 11:54 PM, wordyginters said:

Is this type of player Neb would never be able to pull in the past?  My memory ain't what it used to be, but I can't recall a SR grad transfer who had a big impact for NU on the floor?  

Have there been any others besides Dube and Moses Abraham? 

There isn’t enough known by anyone right now to know what the best decision is for Roby yet.  Not Lewis or any of us.    It all comes down to what type of guarantee he can get.  If he cannot at least get a really good second round gauranteed contract verbally locked up, the upside of coming back financially would outweigh not coming back.  

My guess is that there is good chance Roby will come back.

1.  He played 'out of position' in Tim Mile's offense and defense.

2.  To become a first round draft choice Roby would have to play another year at the stretch 4/big 3 positions and prove he belongs in the NBA.

3.  Roby is loyal to Tim Miles.  Emotionally, his first reaction was to support Miles and announce he may leave.  Time heals wounds.  Working with Hoiberg will start to build a new relationship.  

4.  Again, Roby knows he would be a 4 or 3 in the pros.  Roby knows it would help his draft stock if he stayed one more year and 'showed' what he can do as a 4 or 3.

5.  No inside information.  Just saying that once the emotion of Miles getting fired starts to wear off and the need to improve his draft position becomes his focus (right now best estimate in mid-second round) he might decide his best option is to return.  Playing in a pro-style offense at his natural position could make him a first round selection next year.

1 hour ago, 75unlgrad said:

My guess is that there is good chance Roby will come back.

1.  He played 'out of position' in Tim Mile's offense and defense.

2.  To become a first round draft choice Roby would have to play another year at the stretch 4/big 3 positions and prove he belongs in the NBA.

3.  Roby is loyal to Tim Miles.  Emotionally, his first reaction was to support Miles and announce he may leave.  Time heals wounds.  Working with Hoiberg will start to build a new relationship.  

4.  Again, Roby knows he would be a 4 or 3 in the pros.  Roby knows it would help his draft stock if he stayed one more year and 'showed' what he can do as a 4 or 3.

5.  No inside information.  Just saying that once the emotion of Miles getting fired starts to wear off and the need to improve his draft position becomes his focus (right now best estimate in mid-second round) he might decide his best option is to return.  Playing in a pro-style offense at his natural position could make him a first round selection next year.

You have really great points here and I hope you’re right, but I still think there is a 90% chance Roby doesn’t play for the Huskers next year.

On 4/21/2019 at 9:47 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Agreed.  He has nothing more to really prove that I feel will help him get drafted any higher than he already is projected.  The draft field is weak this year too.  He will be under the microscope more next year with more criticism.  Feel less than 10% he comes back.