Nebraska vs. Iowa Series Game Thread

Bugeaters1

We played with Fire most of the night and finally got burnt.  Bats need to get going.  Can’t waste outings like that from our starters.  I’ll take 2/3 but many yesterday was very winnable.  Also, really disappointed in how our approach ranked in the 7th-9th after our starters went out.  Swinging wildly like we were facing Marino Rivera or something.

Wash it away.  It’s baseball.  Come back and win these next two.

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Death. Taxes. Heller owning Erstad. 

It’s almost on McDermott/Miles level. 

We we will see how the team responds in the upcoming weeks. Mentally strong is not something I would say Erstads teams are known for.  Hopefully getting back home vs Illinois will get the team back on the right track. 

Erstad said if he wasn’t getting the job done he would fire himself right? There is a lot of season left, hopefully this isn’t the same old song and dance.

14 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Erstad said if he wasn’t getting the job done he would fire himself right? There is a lot of season left, hopefully this isn’t the same old song and dance.

Yeah doubtful that happens. He would probably have to have a few seasons like last year. 

RPI is down to #46. Really need a win today for RPI purposes. #46 is not going to get it done for us if we don’t win the Big ten baseball tournament.  I would guess we need to be mid 30’s to feel good about an at large bid. 

Runner at second should have been called for runner interference. his slide took Schwellinbach on the slide.

20 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

20 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

YADA YADA YADA. we lose two games so far and the world is coming to an end. would like to see you guys do better.

37 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

YADA YADA YADA. we lose two games so far and the world is coming to an end. would like to see you guys do better.

Moves to 4-11 against Heller, should we throw a parade? I couldn’t do better but I also am not  a baseball coach. Hopefully the University standard isn’t Erstad is better than a random message board poster. Teams like Indiana, Iowa and Michigan hired dudes that are proven coaches. We hired a guy with a year of volunteer coaching experience under a guy we fired. Maybe this is the year we figure it out, past history says we don’t win a regional game - if even get that far. Idk if I would go chest thumping after going 1-2 against an average Iowa team

25 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Whew...glad we salvaged a game in this series.  Games like yesterday can happen, you sure don't want to have them happen often, but they do happen.  The one that was a gut punch was Friday.  That one got away.

Yep, NU couldn't stand to get swept by Iowa, and by winning today the Huskers remain ahead of Iowa by 2 games instead of tied up at 10-5 (and losing the tiebreaker, in ugly fashion, no less, at the hands of a 'sweep'!). GBR

Edited by AuroranHusker

38 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Yep, NU couldn't stand to get swept by Iowa, and by winning today the Huskers remain ahead of Iowa by 2 games instead of tied up at 10-5 (and losing the tiebreaker, in ugly fashion, no less, at the hands of a 'sweep'!). GBR

It’ll be interesting down the stretch. Right now we have Schwell hitting a real hot bat and nothing else going for us offensively. Which is all too common under DE. Can these guys get back on track and break the norm? I sure hope so. 

2 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Moves to 4-11 against Heller, should we throw a parade? I couldn’t do better but I also am not  a baseball coach. Hopefully the University standard isn’t Erstad is better than a random message board poster. Teams like Indiana, Iowa and Michigan hired dudes that are proven coaches. We hired a guy with a year of volunteer coaching experience under a guy we fired. Maybe this is the year we figure it out, past history says we don’t win a regional game - if even get that far. Idk if I would go chest thumping after going 1-2 against an average Iowa team

We are also pretty young.  We lose Altavilia, who has been slumping for 2 years.  We could lose Roskam and Acker, but I don't see them going too high in the draft, or at all,  to be tempted.  Our pitching staff will need an overhaul.  We lose Matt Waldron, Reece Eddins, and Nate Fisher.  However, we have Perry, Gomes, Blessie, and Shanaman (all have bright futures barring injuries).  Another top 20 recruiting class might get this thing rolling.

Just now, brfrad said:

We are also pretty young.  We lose Altavilia, who has been slumping for 2 years.  We could lose Roskam and Acker, but I don't see them going too high in the draft, or at all,  to be tempted.  Our pitching staff will need an overhaul.  We lose Matt Waldron, Reece Eddins, and Nate Fisher.  However, we have Perry, Gomes, Blessie, and Shanaman (all have bright futures barring injuries).  Another top 20 recruiting class might get this thing rolling.

I don’t think Erstads teams ever lack talent. I also never bash Silva because any time we’ve been good  it’s because he’s built a very solid staff. Mental toughness and offense have always been a DE teams downfall. We’ve seen those exact problems rear their head (again) over the last week +. He will have to right it, if we wanna be in a regional.