Keeping up with the offers/visits

On 4/19/2019 at 3:24 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Tomas Woldetensae, 6-5 SG, #9 Juco recruit nationally (Virginia)

Anyone remember this guy? He looked at us. I think visited. Was shooting 47% or some such crazy number from 3-point range as a juco. Decided to go to Virginia instead. And we got Matej Kavas instead. Have you ever wished we'd have gotten the other guy instead?  Yeah, don't.

Season Totals
season Team
2019-20
UVAUVA

FG FG% 3PT 3P% FT FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
6-27 22.2 2-15 13.3 2-2 100.0 1 14 15 1 0 4 8 6 16

On 4/19/2019 at 3:24 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Andre Allen, 6-9 PF, #10 Juco recruit nationally (ASU)

Andre Allen? The #10 Juco recruit nationally, who went to ASU instead? All 6'9 of him?  Meh.

Season Averages
season Team
2019-20
ASUASU

GP GS MIN FG FG% 3PT 3P% FT FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
4 0 3.3 0.0-0.0 0.0 0.0-0.0 0.0 0.0-0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.5 0.0 0.0

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

Doesn't it make you feel better seeing the 6'9 guy who went to ASU is basically not a contributor at all?

And seeing Cross and Yuvan basically producing more as two freshman... one of whom can't get into an R rated movie without his parents permission.  (Not that I think they are going to ID a dude who looks like he could be my father)

By the way, here are the season stats for Khalid Thomas, another 6'9 juco (among the top-ranked juco propsects in the country last year) who spurned us for ASU:

Season Averages
season Team
2019-20
ASUASU

GP GS MIN FG FG% 3PT 3P% FT FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
5 0 2.2 0.0-0.4 0.0 0.0-0.4 0.0 0.4-0.4 100.0 0.2 0.4 0.6 0.2 0.0 0.6 0.4 0.0 0.4

These arent really apples to apples  comparisons. Arizona St is a much better team than us. Virginia is one of the best teams in the country year in and year out. Our guys play on a team with great opportunity and a great offensive system. If the players above were in our system getting our minutes, how do their stats look? If our guys are with more established programs and on better teams how do their stats look?

Just something to think about. Also, what happened to not judging JUCOs until half way through their first season or year two... 😂😂😂

Edited by khoock

16 hours ago, khoock said:

These arent really apples to apples  comparisons. Arizona St is a much better team than us. Virginia is one of the best teams in the country year in and year out. Our guys play on a team with great opportunity and a great offensive system. If the players above were in our system getting our minutes, how do their stats look? If our guys are with more established programs and on better teams how do their stats look?

Just something to think about. Also, what happened to not judging JUCOs until half way through their first season or year two... 😂😂😂

True.  But ...

The guy playing for Virginia was being recruited as a sharpshooter from deep. He's currently hitting 13%. Small sample size, but still.

As to the two bigs who went to ASU, you think those guys would command minutes over Yvan and Kevin doin' it to 'em? Maybe. But I'm skeptical. Especially the Andre Allen dude. If memory serves me, I don't think I was ever all that impressed with him.

45 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

True.  But ...

The guy playing for Virginia was being recruited as a sharpshooter from deep. He's currently hitting 13%. Small sample size, but still.

As to the two bigs who went to ASU, you think those guys would command minutes over Yvan and Kevin doin' it to 'em? Maybe. But I'm skeptical. Especially the Andre Allen dude. If memory serves me, I don't think I was ever all that impressed with him.

I won’t argue on the ASU bigs compared to Yvan and Kevin.

But Woldentensae is a starter for one of the best teams in the country. He has a quick release and his shot is pure. I’d bet good money that his percentages will increase dramatically over the course of the season. He’s also a very good defender. I’d take him in a heartbeat.

3 hours ago, millerhusker said:

I won’t argue on the ASU bigs compared to Yvan and Kevin.

But Woldentensae is a starter for one of the best teams in the country. He has a quick release and his shot is pure. I’d bet good money that his percentages will increase dramatically over the course of the season. He’s also a very good defender. I’d take him in a heartbeat.

I bet you're probably right. But right now, when we're looking at and trying to assess what we got (as we're getting outrebounded and tossing bricks from the FT line) we can look at some of the players that got away and think, at least for now, hey, we didn't do too bad after all.