Keeping up with the offers/visits

6 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

I'll assume that Section_316 assumes we will land two out of Johnson, Cross, Ouedraogo, which seems pretty likely at this point based on what we've heard. 

Johnson is most likely starting if he signs here.  While I like Cross and Ouedraogo we're talking about 2 freshmen who really it's a question mark whether they either play well or ride the bench. I don't think we've offered Johnson or else he probably tweets that. Not sure if we offer Ouedraogo.

I think the name of the game here is to have a decent number of 2020 schollies open. I personally think keeping around guys that might be question marks and re-evaluating after this year is more effective than having to do so with 2019 prospects that might need multiple years to answer those questions. I understand why others would think the opposite. 

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Johnson is most likely starting if he signs here.  While I like Cross and Ouedraogo we're talking about 2 freshmen who really it's a question mark whether they either play well or ride the bench. I don't think we've offered Johnson or else he probably tweets that. Not sure if we offer Ouedraogo.

I think the name of the game here is to have a decent number of 2020 schollies open. I personally think keeping around guys that might be question marks and re-evaluating after this year is more effective than having to do so with 2019 prospects that might need multiple years to answer those questions. I understand why others would think the opposite. 

Johnson is only considering Nebraska, Utah, or the NBA I believe...? So I would think that means he gets a scholarship here if he wants one based on the fact that he's a grad transfer who visited. 

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:24 PM, Norm Peterson said:

2019:

HS:

Kevin Cross, 6-8 PF from Arkansas

Yvan Ouedraogo, 6-7 PF from France

Kendall Lewis, 6-6 SF from Georgia

Jucos:

Cam Mack, 6-3 PG, Juco #2 recruit nationally

Tomas Woldetensae, 6-5 SG, Juco All-American (from Italy)

Andre Allen, 6-9 PF, formerly committed to Buffalo

Sit-out 4-year transfers:

Dalano Banton, 6-8 So. SG WKy

Maurice Calloo, 6-9 So. PF Okie State

Joel Ntambwe, 6-9 Fr. PF UNLV

Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua, 6-8 Fr. PF UNLV

Eric Williams, 6-5 So. SG from Duquesne

Immed Eligible 4-year transfers:

Haanif Cheatham, 6-6 SG from FGCU

Matej Kavas, 6-8 SG from Seattle U

Jayce Johnson, 7-0 C from U of Utah

Expressed Interest; Unconfirmed Offer/Visits:

Jucos

Atticus Taylor, 6-7 SF/PF, formerly committed to aTm

Sit-out 4-year transfers:

KJ Lawson, 6-8 G Kansas

LJ Figueroa, 6-6 SG St. John's

Jahvon Quinerly, 6-1 PG Villanova

Teyvion Kirk, 6-4 So. SG Ohio

Terry Nolan, 6-2 So. SG Geo. Wash.

Immed Eligible 4-year transfers:

Alihan Demir, 6-9 PF Drexel

Dazon Ingram, 6-5 SG Alabama

Kerry Blackshear, 6-10 PF Va Tech

2020:

HS:

Nahiem Alleyne, 6-3 unranked SG, formerly offered by St. John's

https://247sports.com/player/nahiem-alleyne-46056536/

Ben Carlson, 6-9 4-star PF, #84 on Rivals 150

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/ben-carlson-206964

CJ Wilcher, 6-5 4-star SF, #101 on Rivals 150

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/c-j-wilcher-208376

Deivon Smith, 5-11 4-star PG, #51 on Rivals 150

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/deivon-smith-233594

Eric Gaines, 6-2 PG from Georgia

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/eric-gaines-ga

Christian Wright, 6-3 PG from Georgia

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/christian-wright-222375

Kerwin Walton, 6-5 4-star SG, #120 on Rivals 150

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/kerwin-walton-232884

Davion Bradford, 6-10 PF, #130 on Rivals 150

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/davion-bradford-185536

Dylan Branson, unranked 2-star 6-5 SG/OL from St. Louis. Apparently, this is actually a thing.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/dylan-branson

Dawson Garcia, 6-10 4-star PF, #35 on Rivals 150

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/dawson-garcia-208758

Luke Kasubke, 6-4 SG, #134 on Rivals 150

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/luke-kasubke-210753

Not a lot of movement from people, so I'm going to start making some guesses.  Starting with, if Jayce wanted to be here after his visit, he woulda committed then.

We have offered a big number of incredibly high ranking 2020 basketball recruits.  And I don't think we're done yet.

But given the numbers of spots available at this point, it looks to me like Hoiberg & Co. are recruiting over some people. And I'm not suggesting who I think those people are. I'm just saying we're pursuing more cats than we have room in the bag, if you know what I'm saying.

I'm impressed with the roster management in such a short amount of time. As far as the coaching staff getting players they want, while re-distributing scholarships evenly among the classes. If Miles had been retained, and none of the players left, we were set to have 1 senior, 5 juniors and 2 sophomores on next years team. As it stands now, we'll have 3 seniors, 3 juniors and 3 sophomores. Rosters are always fluid from year to year nowadays, but it can be more difficult to manage with such lopsided class sizes.

58 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

We have offered a big number of incredibly high ranking 2020 basketball recruits.  And I don't think we're done yet.

But given the numbers of spots available at this point, it looks to me like Hoiberg & Co. are recruiting over some people. And I'm not suggesting who I think those people are. I'm just saying we're pursuing more cats than we have room in the bag, if you know what I'm saying.

Start big, cast a wide net and see what it brings in. Frost and Co did this as well.

I love the idea of adding some guys who can help now knowing there spot opens up in a year. 

I also love that Hoiberg is hitting Minnesota HARD. He has some name recognition up here and there is some major talent coming out.

I still think it will be tough to get the high 4 star kids to come to NE for a bit but hopefully can get some talent that we can build on and fill holes with transfer/grad transfer kids.

23 hours ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

Start big, cast a wide net and see what it brings in. Frost and Co did this as well.

I love the idea of adding some guys who can help now knowing there spot opens up in a year. 

I also love that Hoiberg is hitting Minnesota HARD. He has some name recognition up here and there is some major talent coming out.

I still think it will be tough to get the high 4 star kids to come to NE for a bit but hopefully can get some talent that we can build on and fill holes with transfer/grad transfer kids.

For whatever reason, under past administrations, we might have offered some of the top players in the country, but it was never noted that we were involved with them, probably because they didn't really have any real interest in us.

This has a different feel to it. These kids are tweeting that they're thankful to have received an offer from us, which, I get it, that's pretty standard. But why such a large volume of top kids?

No kid being recruited today for the football program was alive when we last won a national title.  None of them have a memory of when we last competed for a conference championship.  But we hired a coach in Scott Frost who brings name recognition with him when he goes on visits. And we play in a top conference.

No kid being recruited today for the basketball program has any recognition of us losing 7 NCAA tournament first round games in as many appearances. We play in a conference with some name recognition. And we just brought in a basketball coach who has a reputation that preceeds him.

You could hire a great mid-major coach with great Xs and Os ability and ability to relate to kids etc. and recruits would still have to take a leap of faith to think that they could come to Nebraska and the program would be a winner.  But they don't have to do that with Hoiberg.  And that's the case for the first time in program history, really.  We brought in a guy who already did it. Relatively recently. And coached in the pros.

I have to think that makes a difference in getting our foot in the door.  After that, we have to beat out the competition with better relationships and showing them the things they want in a program.  But before, we didn't even get our foot in the door. Now, we're one step closer with these high 4 star kids. We've got a foot in the door.  And once we have that foot in the door and get them on campus for a visit, I think we have as good a shot as anyone else in the same room.

I'm having a little bit of a hard time grasping this one:

season Team
2018-19
NEBNEB

GP GS MPG FG FG% 3PT 3P% FT FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
30 0 8.5 0.8-1.4 59.5 0.0-0.0 0.0 0.2-0.6 29.4 0.8 1.0 1.7 0.1 0.5 0.1 1.1 0.2 1.8

season Team
2018-19

27 0 7.8 0.6-1.0 53.6 0.0-0.0 0.0 0.2-0.4 50.0 0.6 0.9 1.4 0.2 0.3 0.0 2.0 0.3 1.3
Edited by Norm Peterson

23 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm having a little bit of a hard time grasping this one:

season Team
2018-19
NEBNEB

30 0 8.5 0.8-1.4 59.5 0.0-0.0 0.0 0.2-0.6 29.4 0.8 1.0 1.7 0.1 0.5 0.1 1.1 0.2 1.8

season Team
2018-19

27 0 7.8 0.6-1.0 53.6 0.0-0.0 0.0 0.2-0.4 50.0 0.6 0.9 1.4 0.2 0.3 0.0 2.0 0.3 1.3

Without knowing anything about Washington, or watching any film on him - the thing that stood out on the surface was the fact Nebraska, Marquette, Nevada, Missouri are in pursuit of him. Where Heiman entered the portal and received interest from Omaha, South Dakota, Colorado St. There has to be something to that. 

6 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Without knowing anything about Washington, or watching any film on him - the thing that stood out on the surface was the fact Nebraska, Marquette, Nevada, Missouri are in pursuit of him. Where Heiman entered the portal and received interest from Omaha, South Dakota, Colorado St. There has to be something to that. 

Yeah, OK.