Keeping up with the offers/visits

5 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

Two of the university's/team planes today went out. One went to wichita and back, and the other went to santa barbara and back. Any guesses for who they went to see?

Weird because it sounds like we're in Atlanta. I'd assume because it's Mac Fire that this is Gates

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Weird because it sounds like we're in Atlanta. I'd assume because it's Mac Fire that this is Gates

Id guarantee it. Fred stays because he is recruiting all the guys. Doc because he doesn’t leave usually and has the familiarity with Cross. Matty A because of Mack and other guys. 

Gates has the Chicago connection. It makes too much sense the info there. 

So, visitors this weekend would be Mack, Johnson, Blanton, Cross and Ouedraogo. Can we take all five?

We've got ...

Burke

Green

Cheatham

Harris

Davis

Thor

Arop

Kavas

Heiman

And possibly but probably not Roby.

They wanted 3 senior transfers; adding Johnson would get us to that number.

They wanted 3 sit-out transfers. Blanton would be the only one of those so far.  We could redshirt a guy like Heiman and that would give us the functional equivalent of a sit-out transfer.

We'd need to clear some roster space to take all 5, whether Roby returns or not.  Given the amount of recruiting activity still happening, one would have to suspect they're planning on making room for some further additions.

Just me speculating out loud.

6 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

We could redshirt a guy like Heiman and that would give us the functional equivalent of a sit-out transfer.

I posted this in a different thread about 15 min ago, but dont you think Arop is a great RS candidate?

Hoiberg loves alot of things about him and acknowledged that his shot from deep is there (but still needs work). I feel like Hoiberg would love for him to get a whole year under his belt just working on his shot and strength.

3 minutes ago, busticket said:

Depending on how things shake out Thor and Amir may be the odd men out.  Those guys both lack a big component of what Fred looks for....a reliable three ball.  These next few weeks will be interesting to say the least.  Still blows me away with how quickly these guys are working.

I could see the usefulness of either, but Thorir seems more likely to not fit in as at least Amir has the speed & D components to be great B1G part of the program.

It would not surprise me at all to see Thor asked to leave.  If someone is forced out, clearly it's him.  No shot, below average athleticism, average size. 

I think Amir does enough other things well that Fred and Co. would want to try teaching him how to shoot.  He defends great, handles and passes decent, and gets to the rack.  Plus, he hustles.

Karrington is the wild card because no one really knows if he'll ever be back to 100% physically.  The tools are all there if he can get healthy.

55 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

It would not surprise me at all to see Thor asked to leave.  If someone is forced out, clearly it's him.  No shot, below average athleticism, average size. 

I think Amir does enough other things well that Fred and Co. would want to try teaching him how to shoot.  He defends great, handles and passes decent, and gets to the rack.  Plus, he hustles.

Karrington is the wild card because no one really knows if he'll ever be back to 100% physically.  The tools are all there if he can get healthy.

I saw on Twitter today somebody said they talked to Davis and he said he would be ready for one on one drills starting sometime in July. That’s a long way off to assess your physical recovery to know whether you will be able to contribute or not. 

By then, recruiting will be pretty well wrapped up. So I would assume his spot is fairly safe.  Otherwise, I would think he would’ve already put his name into the transfer portal. 

Edited by Norm Peterson

https://twitter.com/HuskerExtraCB/status/1121817991824445441?s=09

This isn't a Karrington Davis thread, nor am I a Karrington Davis hater, but graciously asking him to move on is the most logical move forward. I know I am not the first person to bring this up and many of you feel other players from the miles regime need to go as well, and I agree with that

Impo karrington is particularly pernicious. Hoiberg and staff won't see Davis play in any capacity until July... Has Coach Gates, who was here last year, even seen him play? The poor kid hasn't played a full season of basketball in 4 years. 

I am excited about matej and haaniff and hopefully jayce. This will leave space for a quality 2020 class, so it would be best to back these grad transfers with a traditional transfer to step in behind them, right? Having space for that quality 2020 class and a couple trad transfers who can fill and play after sitting a year... Booyah. 

Edited by BmoreRed

Id love to see Brady/Thorir/Karrington all move on.

I still have hope for Brady.

I think Thor is who he is. He is a hard worker but I certainly wouldn’t lose sleep if he moved on.

Karrington is a complete unknown.

At this point, I sort of feel like unless a kid is waiting till semester end, we will only have Roby as a question mark and rest of guys are staying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

I still have hope for Brady.

I think Thor is who he is. He is a hard worker but I certainly wouldn’t lose sleep if he moved on.

Karrington is a complete unknown.

At this point, I sort of feel like unless a kid is waiting till semester end, we will only have Roby as a question mark and rest of guys are staying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a good point. I could see some of the remaining guys waiting and focusing on their final couple weeks of school before announcing.

I'm starting to think with all the recruiting activity we've had, that if a kid hasn't put his name in the transfer portal yet, it's because he's had a talk with the head coach who told him he didn't need to. And I'm fine with that. None of those guys are bad dudes and they aren't going to cause problems in the locker room.

On 4/27/2019 at 5:20 PM, BmoreRed said:

https://twitter.com/HuskerExtraCB/status/1121817991824445441?s=09

This isn't a Karrington Davis thread, nor am I a Karrington Davis hater, but graciously asking him to move on is the most logical move forward. I know I am not the first person to bring this up and many of you feel other players from the miles regime need to go as well, and I agree with that

Impo karrington is particularly pernicious. Hoiberg and staff won't see Davis play in any capacity until July... Has Coach Gates, who was here last year, even seen him play? The poor kid hasn't played a full season of basketball in 4 years. 

I am excited about matej and haaniff and hopefully jayce. This will leave space for a quality 2020 class, so it would be best to back these grad transfers with a traditional transfer to step in behind them, right? Having space for that quality 2020 class and a couple trad transfers who can fill and play after sitting a year... Booyah. 

The worst thing about Karrington, and to some extent Amir, is that both are apparently still injured and missing out on this time to workout and gain some trust with the staff. By the time both are full go, they won't have any slight edge on anyone coming in. 

Its gonna be mighty hard to fill up an entire roster if Thor/Heiman/KD all move on. We would fill in those last couple spots with some reaches talent wise (which is what many think the three aforementioned are). So why not let them stay? If it doesn't work out they can move on next year.

However, we are definitely on the verge of having an almost entirely eligible roster which isnt typically how Hoiberg manages a roster. Itll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Edited by khoock

46 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

If Roby doesn't come back you're talking about getting rid of the 3 guys that currently are in the running with Kavas to be the starting or backup centers on the team. 

I'll assume that Section_316 assumes we will land two out of Johnson, Cross, Ouedraogo, which seems pretty likely at this point based on what we've heard. 

10 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

The worst thing about Karrington, and to some extent Amir, is that both are apparently still injured and missing out on this time to workout and gain some trust with the staff. By the time both are full go, they won't have any slight edge on anyone coming in. 

That's a good point. And, strictly going by stuff I heard during the season, I think Karrington's recovery is legitimately long.  I mean, it was a freakin Achilles.  Amir, on the other hand, might be more self-limited.  Just sayin.

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

That's a good point. And, strictly going by stuff I heard during the season, I think Karrington's recovery is legitimately long.  I mean, it was a freakin Achilles.  Amir, on the other hand, might be more self-limited.  Just sayin.

I agree, Amir's injury sounded like it wasn't that serious and that he should be back any time. Karrington's was pretty bad. 

14 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

I'll assume that Section_316 assumes we will land two out of Johnson, Cross, Ouedraogo, which seems pretty likely at this point based on what we've heard. 

Wonder if they want both Cross and Ouedraogo or if its a one or the other type deal?