Keeping up with the offers/visits

15 hours ago, millerhusker said:

It helps when you have 2 of the top 10-15 players in the country. That was a "we're all in this together" situation, as it was an essentially entire new roster and coaching staff. As of right now, Nebraska has 7 players returning next year who, when healthy, all got significant playing time this year. Two more guys who redshirted and expect to be part of the rotation. If you add 4 transfers to that, it leaves you with 13 older guys. I think most coaches would tell you that can be a tougher situation cohesion-wise than building a whole new team, especially when you don't have all-american caliber talent to overcome any locker room issues. 

I'm not anti-transfer by any means, but ideally you'd do most of your team building through high school recruiting, and add one or two players from the portal who fit your culture each year. There are still many programs who do this (Michigan St, Iowa, Wisconsin, Creighton, Purdue, etc.). 

People remember the successful teams full of transfers, but for every one of those teams there are four similarly built teams that didn't come close to the level of their preseason hype. I suspect Kansas State will be in the latter group next year. Props to Tang for this year, but his schemes and in-game coaching weren't impressive to me and I think he will struggle there without his two all-americans. 

I agree that KSU caught lightning in a bottle and will probably fall.  I think Baylor may miss Tang’s presence.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2023 at 6:23 PM, thrasher31 said:

No inside knowledge, but schools are recruiting international guys for the 2023 class. Xavier just had one today, and I think I saw another HM get one recently. I wonder if that's what Fred does with one of his final two spots, even "scouting" on the Spain trip. 

GOOD CALL

12 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

GOOD CALL

Forgot about the NBA global academy camp happening a few weeks ago. Would've solidified my theory. That's where a few of these are coming from (Kansas is about to get one in an Aussie too). 

I have to think a ball handler is next on the list, but pickings are very slim for those right now. 

• 2 weeks later...