2019 C Grad Transfer Jayce Johnson -> Marquette

hhcmatt

15 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Really like both guys as a 4-5 combo.  Yvan doesn't look like a perimeter threat, but he's a true back to the basket post player, very physical, and good passer.  Johnson looks like a standard Purdue center, which would be glorious.  

I really like Drago. For a Euro kid?  For a Euro kid, he's fantastic.  He's so young I would really, solidly expect him to grow at least another inch. Maybe 2. He's so active but doesn't seem lost at all on the floor.  Knows where to be to find the ball on rebounds.  Just does a lot of things I really like.  He's like Ed Morrow but doesn't think he should be a wing.  I'll bet he could develop a jumper with a little help.

Jayce Johnson?  He's definitely good enough to be our post player this coming season, and we're going to need one.  So this is good if we can get him.

On 4/19/2019 at 4:41 PM, Norm Peterson said:

I really like Drago. For a Euro kid?  For a Euro kid, he's fantastic.  He's so young I would really, solidly expect him to grow at least another inch. Maybe 2. He's so active but doesn't seem lost at all on the floor.  Knows where to be to find the ball on rebounds.  Just does a lot of things I really like.  He's like Ed Morrow but doesn't think he should be a wing.  I'll bet he could develop a jumper with a little help.

Jayce Johnson?  He's definitely good enough to be our post player this coming season, and we're going to need one.  So this is good if we can get him.

I'd be good with Jayce Johnson, a one-year commitment to a real big. Let's make it happen, Big Red.

My only concern with getting him is I believe he is looking for a heavier work load on offense. Not so sure he would find that here. Hard to tell with how up in the air our roster is.

But Hoiberg said he wants his bigs to be able to run, defend, and rebound. Doesnt sound like they will be the focal point.

13 minutes ago, khoock said:

My only concern with getting him is I believe he is looking for a heavier work load on offense. Not so sure he would find that here. Hard to tell with how up in the air our roster is.

But Hoiberg said he wants his bigs to be able to run, defend, and rebound. Doesnt sound like they will be the focal point.

That's an interesting point. I was looking at his numbers from last year thinking he would be an ideal addition because it doesn't look like he has a need to be a focal point of an offense and put up a lot of points, but would be comfortable rebounding and protecting the rim.  If he's transferring to find a place to be more of the focus on offense, then you're right, it might be an issue.  Don't know, we'll have to see I guess.

Edited by Norm Peterson

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

That's an interesting point. I was looking at his numbers from last year thinking he would be an ideal addition because it doesn't look like he has a need to be a focal point of an offense and put up a lot of points, but would be comfortable rebounding and protecting the rim.  If he's transferring to find a place to be more of the focus on offense, then you're right, it might be an issue.  Don't know, we'll have to see I guess.

90% sure i read that somewhere about him. Could be wrong. Been reading lots of stuff about lots ppl with all these offers going out lol. But i think it was him.

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

90% sure i read that somewhere about him. Could be wrong. Been reading lots of stuff about lots ppl with all these offers going out lol. But i think it was him.

There's so, so much stuff on so many recruits, it's really hard to keep up with it all. Which is, frankly, a lot better situation than the opposite, which we've seen happen before.

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

There's so, so much stuff on so many recruits, it's really hard to keep up with it all. Which is, frankly, a lot better situation than the opposite, which we've seen happen before.

Do you know anything about Utah basketball, bc my next question is why was he playing 20ish min a game? Foul trouble? Conditioning? Sharing minutes with other players?

If he is capable of taking on a heavier load of minutes, you could kinda twist that into a heavier offensive load. 

20 min 7pts 8reb at Utah.

Come here and play 25-30 min and average a double-double.

11 minutes ago, khoock said:

Do you know anything about Utah basketball, bc my next question is why was he playing 20ish min a game? Foul trouble? Conditioning? Sharing minutes with other players?

If he is capable of taking on a heavier load of minutes, you could kinda twist that into a heavier offensive load. 

Honestly, I looked up his stats once because there was an article that talked about how he really came on at the end of the season. But I can't remember what the stats looked like. I'll go back and dig some.

19 minutes ago, khoock said:

He reached double figures in rebounds in 9 of the last 12 games of the season. He reached double figures in points only 3 times in that stretch. His FT shooting numbers aren't good, about 40%. 

Edited by Norm Peterson

6 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

He reached double figures in rebounds in 9 of the last 12 games of the season. He reached double figures in points only 3 times in that stretch.

3 other times he was at 9 points tho. So nearly 6 double-doubles in his last 12 playing only 21.7 min a game. Up his minutes by 5-8 a game and he could flirt with a double-double average.

Utah isn't exactly a powerhouse. They were probably comparable to us last season. They finished 3rd in the Pac 12 from which only 1 team made the tournament. I don't really care if he averages 7 and 7 or 10 and 10. Its obvious he's not an elite offensive player but also not a liability. His defensive ability is going to matter a lot more than 3 points per game imo.

1 minute ago, royalfan said:

This guy seems like a bit of a misfit in our scheme but since it is such a glaring need I trust we can adapt.  

He fits what they said they want in their post players, though. Defend the rim, rebound and finish at the rim. And pass a little. I think he'll fit in just fine.

3 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

Utah isn't exactly a powerhouse. They were probably comparable to us last season. They finished 3rd in the Pac 12 from which only 1 team made the tournament. I don't really care if he averages 7 and 7 or 10 and 10. Its obvious he's not an elite offensive player but also not a liability. His defensive ability is going to matter a lot more than 3 points per game imo.

Oregon, Arizona St, and Washington all made it. And all three won atleast 1 tourney game.