2019 PF Yvan Ouedraogo - LOI

34 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

We made his top 3.  Before we got involved, I think he was considering 3 high majors.  Granted, he's not being pursued by Kentucky or Kansas.  But the other programs are both P5 programs.  It's not like his only other offer is Presbyterian College or Texas Southern.

Even if he redshirts to develop and acclimate to the American game (he's only just turned 17), I think there's a lot to like about him.  And I'd rather have him redshirting than developing in a Prep School environment.

I think it's a good offer; I'd be happy to have him.

What you got against the BlueHose and Tigers?

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

When you're going to make an omelette, sometimes you have to crack a few eggs.

I agree with you but we aren’t talking about eggs here. These are 18 and 19 year olds. If this went down worst case scenario then they deserved better then that. So my concern is how this went/goes down not that it went down. We really have no final word on any of this and maybe we got the bad info. This is a new program and there are going to be needed changes but I hope we don’t forget that the product they are working with are young men. 

16 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I agree with you but we aren’t talking about eggs here. These are 18 and 19 year olds. If this went down worst case scenario then they deserved better then that. So my concern is how this went/goes down not that it went down. We really have no final word on any of this and maybe we got the bad info. This is a new program and there are going to be needed changes but I hope we don’t forget that the product they are working with are young men. 

As I've said other places, I hope the kids didn't just read this on-line but were told by their coaches. So, I agree with you there. But that's not what I was referring to.

What I was responding to was the two posts right above mine that talked about how technically we only have one scholarship open, but maybe more with what Washut was talking about. I've probably said some version of this at least half a dozen times in various threads on this board, but we didn't bring 4 1/2 million dollars worth of coaching salaries on board (or whatever the number is) to have them spend time trying to develop someone else's players to fit their system when there are guys out there they could get right now who are already better fits. So get them.

It might seem cold and impersonal. Machiavellian even. But we made a coaching change for a reason. And when you want to make an omelette, sometimes you have to crack some eggs.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me how many scholarships TCU actually has available? Verbal commits is pretty worthless for this because their roster is in flux.

Not sure how current the Georgia Tech offer is.

With the very recent opening of scholarships we might be the favorite. 

15 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Can anyone tell me how many scholarships TCU actually has available? Verbal commits is pretty worthless for this because their roster is in flux.

Not sure how current the Georgia Tech offer is.

With the very recent opening of scholarships we might be the favorite. 

I took a look at a TCU board (sorry, don’t know how to link in a smart phone), and technically they are full.  However, they have three guys testing the waters but didn’t get invited to any combines.  The thought over there is if their coaches are recruiting this hard, at least 1-2 of those guys aren’t coming back period.

19 minutes ago, busticket said:

Hopefully this leak is accurate.  If it is, and he is truly 6’9” and 240 lbs, he’ll definitely have a chance to earn minutes immediately.  Ivan Drago and Kevin would be a nice way to finish this class off.

Givony is one of the most connected guys in the business, especially the euro players. The fact he’s even talking about him tells me he thinks highly of his potential. He doesn’t talk about everyone that’s for sure.