2019 SG Matej Kavas (Grad Transfer) - LOI

jayschool

Nebraska basketball lands graduate transfer Matej Kavas

He'll have one season left of eligibility.  The Slovenian graduate transfer scored 10.3 points per game last season and shot 45.8% from 3-point range, which ranked him seventh in the country. He shot 3% better from 3 than any Big Ten player last season. Kavas made 44 of 96 3-pointers and had a season-high of 26 points against UNO. He made 6 of 9 3-pointers that night.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/nebraska-basketball-lands-graduate-transfer-matej-kavas/article_b556c90b-a875-5586-8dda-47b8dc56d229.html

2 hours ago, royalfan said:

ok, now to figure out how this impacts the roster.  Want to make sure we have room for all the difference making guys, especially transfers.  I am fine with showing some guys the door to another school where they will be able to play.  

And Five visitors This Weekend!

Fred Hoiberg now has three scholarship spots left, four if Isaiah Roby doesn't return from the NBA draft.

Edited by Red Don

• hhcmatt changed the title to 2019 SG Matej Kavas (Grad Transfer) - VC
  • hhcmatt pinned this topic

Looks like a good addition to the transition team/style of play Fred Hoiberg is implementing. Seasoned and Immediately eligible to play one year, I'd expect we'll see a lot of him during the season, with his shooting stats.

Seems to be a good rebounder and no stranger to the line either; 176 FT attempts over the last 3 years, 76.7% FT shooter.

• hhcmatt changed the title to 2019 SG Matej Kavas (Grad Transfer) - LOI
  • 5 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 8:11 AM, hhcmatt said:

We're potentially picking up a kid from the same home town as Martin Krampelj...we're really leaning into this Let It Fly thing

On 4/19/2019 at 8:49 AM, busticket said:

Talk about a small world.  IIRC, Krampelj  is from a pretty small town.  Like really small.  To have 2 kids who are 6’8” + and are good enough to play D 1 ball in a 4 year window is pretty crazy.  Unless the median height of the people in said town is 6’8”.

On 4/19/2019 at 9:38 AM, busticket said:

Had to check a little deeper because of the OWH article I read....seemed he was from a small town.  Martin’s family lives in Grusopelj, which is about 7,000ish people, but it lies maybe 10 miles from Llubljana.  So probably like Blair is to Omaha.  He was born in Llubljana.  Those two guys are definitely from the same necknof the woods, though.

I think it would be cool if we got Kavas and Krampelj returns for his senior season so we can watch them talk shit to each other in Slovenian.

I guess this scenario is not going to happen now: