2019 Juco Cam Mack - LOI

hhcmatt

6'3" PG, 3 years left

I think him saying he wasn't going to come here at first was the reason that somehow we've gone this long without his own thread.

He's from Austin and committed to Stephen F Austin though he was recruited by higher level schools.

Never played a minute for them and ended up transferring to a Juco and not playing, essentially redshirting

Transferred to Salt Lake CC where he committed to St Johns

Highlights from this season

If we can start Mack, Green and Burke at 1, 2, 3, and then bring Cheatham and Harris off the bench, that's a great set of PGs and wings.

From Rivals story:

On Hoiberg:

“Me and him have a good relationship,” Mack said. “He’s really been reaching out to me and we’ve been developing a relationship that I want with a head coach. That mainly locked the visit in. I like Coach Hoiberg a lot.”

On Green:

“Me and Jervay are honestly close. He’s my guy,” Mack said. “We played against each other this year, and after the game, we kind of just connected and became close. He’s got great energy, good vibes. That’s what you need in your life.”

Edited by jayschool

27 minutes ago, jayschool said:

If we can start Mack, Green and Burke at 1, 2, 3, and then bring Cheatham and Harris off the bench, that's a great set of PGs and wings.

From Rivals story:

On Hoiberg:

“Me and him have a good relationship,” Mack said. “He’s really been reaching out to me and we’ve been developing a relationship that I want with a head coach. That mainly locked the visit in. I like Coach Hoiberg a lot.”

On Green:

“Me and Jervay are honestly close. He’s my guy,” Mack said. “We played against each other this year, and after the game, we kind of just connected and became close. He’s got great energy, good vibes. That’s what you need in your life.”

If we get Cheatham, you're going to be hard pressed to not have him in the starting lineup somewhere.

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm beginning to really like our chances with the Mack kid.

Arizona has the McDonald's AA at PG coming in, so I pretty much cross them off. 

A&M does worry me a bit. I admittedly don't know much about their roster (just looked. Looks like a sophomore PG and bringing in 3 freshman/1 JUCO)

The relationship with green puts us at a very good advantage though. 

42 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

A back court of Mack green Burke has me thinking big dance year one. When was the last time Nebraska had 3 shot creators/shot makers on the roster at the same time even? 

Well...it was supposed to be this season that just finished...

And I think for the first part of it we had it.

Edited by uneblinstu

Two potential caveats to Mack

1. Outside shot might be questionable. 33.7% from 3 and 64.6% from the FT lane. I don't think he needs to be elite from the outside to be elite here, btw

2. Might be hard to handle off the court. The buzz on him when you search the internet is that he's hard to handle. Given our staff's reputation for handling hard to handle, it might not be an issue if there is anything to this.

54 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Deserves his own thread.  Visiting this weekend.

#2 Juco recruit in the country, one spot ahead of Jervay Green.

If there's already a thread on this kid, my bad, didn't see it.  

The OG thread was less than a week old and already on page 2 lol

20 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

The OG thread was less than a week old and already on page 2 lol

Oh, that's how. I looked through page 1 of the recruiting threads. It never dawned on me it would have dropped out of sight to page 2.  I thought there probably had to be a thread, but I figured maybe we all just posted about it in the 2019 thread or something.

Thanks for combining.

On 4/19/2019 at 8:20 AM, hhcmatt said:

high maintenance/immature was more the picture painted. Zero idea to the validity of this...just something to note.

Rarely a JUCO guy without SOME kind of baggage. Usually something there... all on a spectrum. Obviously I’m generalizing. But I do have some experience in this regard, fwiw.