19-20 roster

42 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Beta version of Nebraska Roster matrix. Trying to put together a current year view to complement the scholarship tracking page.

https://huskerhoopscentral.com/roster-matrix/

Very cool. Edited my running roster above to put Thor and Amir back in the "Most likely as of right now" column after they both stated they are staying. Not sure that's how it will end up, but until we hear otherwise...

• 2 weeks later...

SENIORS

Haanif Cheatham 6'6 G

Isaiah Roby 6'8 F

Matej Kavas 6'8 G/F

JUNIORS

Dachon Burke 6'4 G

*Derrick Walker 6'8 F

Jervay Green 6'3 G

Thorir Thorbjarnarson 6'6 G

SOPHOMORES

Cam Mack 6'2 G

*Dalano Banton 6'8 G/F

*Shamiel Stevenson 6'6 F

FRESHMEN 

Akol Arop 6'6 F

Kevin Cross 6'8 F

Samari Curtis 6'4 G

Yvan Ouedraogo 6'9 F

*Indicates player must sit out part/entire season

Ill tell ya what theres gonna be some damn intense competition for starting spots and key bench roles! I love it.

7 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

So right now if Roby goes pro, next year we will have 2 schollys availiable and we already have 2 commits so unless Thor leaves we wont have any schollys open?  Is this accurate?

No. If someone else besides Thor leaves we will also have an open scholarship... ??

5 hours ago, throwback said:

We'll be OK in 2020. 2 or 3, maybe 4 guys will leave after next season and/or at mid-season. Just the way the game works now.

This staff will have room, or make room (if they need to) for any opportunities to upgrade the talent level on the roster. We won't miss out.

Keep hatin' Jennifer*.

* I actually have ZERO problem with Jen's letter to the Editor... but I couldn't help myself.

Just wanted to break down our eligible scholarship players by position to see what possible lineups are.

1: Cam Mack, Jervay Green

2: Jervay Green, Dachon Burke, Haanif Cheatham, Samari Curtis

3: Dachon Burke, Haanif Cheatham, Samari Curtis, Shamiel Stevenson, Thorir Thorbjarnarson 

4: Shamiel Stevenson, Matej Kavas, Thorir Thorbjarnarson, Akol Arop

5: Yvan Ouedraogo, Kevin Cross, Shamiel Stevenson

Does that look about right?

3 minutes ago, khoock said:

Just wanted to break down our eligible scholarship players by position to see what possible lineups are.

1: Cam Mack, Jervay Green

2: Jervay Green, Dachon Burke, Haanif Cheatham, Samari Curtis

3: Dachon Burke, Haanif Cheatham, Samari Curtis, Shamiel Stevenson, Thorir Thorbjarnarson 

4: Shamiel Stevenson, Matej Kavas, Thorir Thorbjarnarson, Akol Arop

5: Yvan Ouedraogo, Kevin Cross, Shamiel Stevenson

Does that look about right?

With so many versatile, positionless players, the options are endless. 

Could be a lineup as small as: 

Mack 6-2

Green 6-3

Burke 6-4

Cheatham 6-6

Stevenson 6-6

Could be a lineup as tall as: 

Green 6-3

Stevenson 6-6

Cheatham 6-6

Kavas 6-8

Ouedraogo 6-9

On 5/16/2019 at 11:16 AM, ConkintheCorner said:

This is probably likely, going to be tough to keep everyone happy with minutes

This is part of why I love the strategy of always having a couple guys sitting out as transfers.  That's two people that you don't have to manage their ego and explain why they're not getting more minutes.  If you have 13 scholarship players and an 8 man rotation, that means at least 5 guys are unhappy.  But if two of them are ineligble, then you've just shrunk the # of players unhappy with their spot in the rotation by 40%.

Fred's system and Doc's defense are also balls to the wall, so the depth we have means 1.) we can tell anyone who is in the game to go as hard as humanly possible and not pace themselves and 2.) incoming recruits who have talent are much more likely to see the floor with this sort of pacing based on tempo alone. 

We have the depth to be completely relentless on both ends for the first time in, well, ever.  I think playing time is a major plus for Fred's recruiting pitch due to system alone.  It's actually extremely unique in terms of P5 pace.

At ISU his possessions per game ranked:  34, 151, 26, 11, 24... throw out the anomaly year and their pace is consistently top 25.  Almost no power 5 teams play with that pace--mostly midmajors who like to jack up shots.  So the likelihood of guaranteed playing time appears to be quite a bit higher at our P5 than almost any other P5.  That's a really big deal.  Pair this with the fact that our recruiting approach is almost entirely geared toward pure scorers that Doc can transform into serviceable defenders, and what pure scorer wouldn't want to play in that system?

Lastly, if you look at the players on our roster who can create their own shots, it's going to be ridiculous.  It seems very likely that multiple players will have a hot hand every game, and it can come from 1-5 and like 8 out of the 9 guys in the rotation.  

Edited by LK1

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:38 PM, khoock said:

SENIORS

Haanif Cheatham 6'6 G

Isaiah Roby 6'8 F

Matej Kavas 6'8 G/F

JUNIORS

Dachon Burke 6'4 G

*Derrick Walker 6'8 F

Jervay Green 6'3 G

Thorir Thorbjarnarson 6'6 G

SOPHOMORES

Cam Mack 6'2 G

*Dalano Banton 6'8 G/F

*Shamiel Stevenson 6'6 F

FRESHMEN 

Akol Arop 6'6 F

Kevin Cross 6'8 F

Samari Curtis 6'4 G

Yvan Ouedraogo 6'9 F

*Indicates player must sit out part/entire season

Ill tell ya what theres gonna be some damn intense competition for starting spots and key bench roles! I love it.

GUYS I EXPECT TO BE HERE AND BE ELIGIBLE:

BACKCOURT

Haanif Cheatham 6'6 G Sr

Dachon Burke 6'4 G Jr

Jervay Green 6'3 G Jr

Cam Mack 6'2 G So

Samari Curtis 6'4 G Fr

MIDCOURT

Matej Kavas 6'8 G/F Sr

Thorir Thorbjarnarson 6'6 G Jr

Shamiel Stevenson 6'6 F So

Akol Arop 6'6 F Fr

FRONTCOURT

Kevin Cross 6'8 F Fr

Yvan Ouedraogo 6'9 F Fr

Glaring hole in all of this is both front court players are true freshmen.  We have some of what I'm calling midcourt players who could swing big.  But those guys are either young (Stevenson, Arop) or not built to bang (Thor and Matej.)  I think we needed one more grad transfer, and I think he needed to be a rim-running, shot-blocking big man.  Maybe that guy will still materialize.

Edited by Norm Peterson

On 5/17/2019 at 12:21 PM, aphilso1 said:

This is part of why I love the strategy of always having a couple guys sitting out as transfers.  That's two people that you don't have to manage their ego and explain why they're not getting more minutes.  If you have 13 scholarship players and an 8 man rotation, that means at least 5 guys are unhappy.  But if two of them are ineligble, then you've just shrunk the # of players unhappy with their spot in the rotation by 40%.

Plus the 2 guys sitting out upgrade the quality of your scout team and, therefore, the competition level the core guys are facing to prepare for games.  Certainly Burke was beneficial in that regard last year.  

1 hour ago, fr8-train said:

Plus the 2 guys sitting out upgrade the quality of your scout team and, therefore, the competition level the core guys are facing to prepare for games.  Certainly Burke was beneficial in that regard last year.  

Exactly right. It makes perfect sense to have 2 sit-out transfers every year. They can bond while watching the team play in the games, and the players can hit the weights together. It's a win-win for the program and the 2 players the following season.

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Does anybody have an idea of when Hoibergs timeline for not renewing scholarships ends? 

Interesting question. Any particular reason you might be asking? My guess is (and this is just a guess) this time next year, he's no longer a new coach taking over a program with a  roster built like someone else.  My guess is the extra latitude that brings him ends at some point, probably when next school year begins.  Of course, it's almost a moot issue in our case because they're almost all his players now.  Almost.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Interesting question. Any particular reason you might be asking? My guess is (and this is just a guess) this time next year, he's no longer a new coach taking over a program with a  roster built like someone else.  My guess is the extra latitude that brings him ends at some point, probably when next school year begins.  Of course, it's almost a moot issue in our case because they're almost all his players now.  Almost.

Just curious how it works since we are at 14 at the moment. For example do all the new signees have the 4 year scholarship since they were re/recruited by Hoiberg? Or if Roby comes back could he decide to cut one of his own recruits or would it have to be one of the players left over from Miles (Dachon or Thorir) to make room?

Also, does Hoiberg have the option to not renew Miles players scholarships at any point in their careers or is it if they get renewed then they are back on the "4 year gaurantee"?

3 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Technically August 26, 2019 which is the first day of the Fall Semester. 

As far as Roby coming back, May 29

So Player A can work out with the team all summer and participate in the overseas trip AND then Hoiberg can still decide to not renew his scholarship for the following season?