19-20 roster

1 hour ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Norm do you need a Snickers? ?

You our are kinda being hard on some kids that will either be here and be better or will go some place else.

It's only April...

It's hard to not name names and level specific criticisms when you're having this kind of discussion.

I get the feeling some people look at the holdover players as birds in the hand.  Maybe they're worried we won't have enough players to field a team in the next two seasons if all of Miles' players leave. Maybe they're used to recruiting expectations under a coach who, IMO, was hamstrung by the former AD with contract issues and job security question marks.  But the last couple of recruiting classes were a step down from what we'd seen before.

I think the new coaches should fairly comfortably be able to find players that suit their system better than a number of the guys they inherited.  I don't think they'll have any compunction about moving guys on in order to make room for the type of players they want to go after.  Nor should they have any such compunction.

I expect recruiting will improve.  I expect there will be further roster turnover.  I think in the long run, we'll be better for it.

Abdelmassih had some really interesting thoughts in an article I read. 

They want to have 9-10 (no more than that) eligible (scholarship) players in a given year because you can't keep any more than that happy.

They want to have at least 2 sit-out transfers because it balances out the roster and then one guy doesn't have to sit out on his own and get lonely (paraphrasing). 

To me Harris' usage on this team is completely dependent on the rest of the team that would be on the floor. You'd need to have other guys will to take more than their fair share of shots and I think we'll have that.  He works if the other 4 guys can shoot from the outside. He may or may not work if only 3 of the guys can shoot from the outside.  At this point I'm struggling to even find 4 other people to put with him to project a lineups.

Matt A said they're looking for length and athleticism and Harris has that in spades.  With the probable amount of shooting we will bring in I suspect that we can find a use for him and i think we're going to have a very tough time finding enough bodies to put out on the court. I definitely think we want Harris rolling back next year and if things don't work out his history of moving high schools and decommitting from Rhode Island indicates to me that after this year it would not be difficult for us to mutually part ways; he's not going to want to sit and not play anymore than we will want a guy that doesn't fit what we want to do.  TBH I wonder if he's going to just up and bolt one day in the next month or so.

55 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

They want to have 9-10 (no more than that) eligible (scholarship) players in a given year because you can't keep any more than that happy.

They want to have at least 2 sit-out transfers because it balances out the roster and then one guy doesn't have to sit out on his own and get lonely (paraphrasing). 

you recall where that was read?

10 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

It's hard to not name names and level specific criticisms when you're having this kind of discussion.

I get the feeling some people look at the holdover players as birds in the hand.  Maybe they're worried we won't have enough players to field a team in the next two seasons if all of Miles' players leave. Maybe they're used to recruiting expectations under a coach who, IMO, was hamstrung by the former AD with contract issues and job security question marks.  But the last couple of recruiting classes were a step down from what we'd seen before.

I think the new coaches should fairly comfortably be able to find players that suit their system better than a number of the guys they inherited.  I don't think they'll have any compunction about moving guys on in order to make room for the type of players they want to go after.  Nor should they have any such compunction.

I expect recruiting will improve.  I expect there will be further roster turnover.  I think in the long run, we'll be better for it.

I agree with this in principle. What I have questions about is this next year only. To me this is expectation vs. reality. I agree the money has been ponied up. I expect the recruiting to be better in spades. The reality is there are a shit ton of open spots this year. Does every one of the guys he bring in this year help long term? If so I am all for it. If not if a few of these guys stay one more year and the coaches can get some studs in the next class yeah. I will absoultuely not believe this staff is going to fill those 5 scholarships with nothing but world beaters until they do. I hope they do. So it makes sense to me to hedge (this year only) and space out the scholarships.

Edited by cornfed24-7

1 minute ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I agree with this in principle. What I have questions about is this next year only. To me this us and expectation vs. reality. I agree the money has been ponied up. I expect the recruiting to be better in spades. The reality is there are a shit ton of open spots this year. Does every one of the guys he bring in this year help long term? If so I am all for it. If not if a few of these guys stay one more year and the coaches can get some studs in the next class. I will absoultuely not believe this staff is going to fill those 5 scholarships with nothing but world beaters until they do. I hope they do. So it makes sense to me to hedge (this year only) and space out the scholarships.

I kinda look at it this way:  You have guys who are holdovers who probably will ride the pine with this new coaching staff.  You can replace them with unknown quantities.  Worst case scenario, you replace them with guys who ride the pine and you're no worse off than you would have been anyway.  However, you could replace them with someone who turns out to be really darn good.

There's very little risk in this case of looking at what's behind Door #3.

D4cWuHCX4AECgxR.jpg:small

(This can be found at the scholarship link at the top, btw)

Two things

1. ATM we have 5 openings for 2019-20 and 4 openings for 2020-21. In that regards, a grad transfer is ideal to fill one of our scholarships this year. If Roby leaves, then we need 2.

2. What high level guys might we land for 2020-21? If you think you're going to get a few then you can't just fill up all of our 2019-20 schollies with guys who will also be here in 2020-21. There is no one left on the roster who couldn't transfer or go pro next year and we do still need to field a team this year.

13 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

What I've seen of Arop gives me some degree of optimism that he could actually develop a jumper. Amir would have to basically start all over from scratch. He needed to start doing it when he arrived on campus. I don't see any evidence that it actually happened.

Sometimes a complete tear down is easier than a tweak.

3 hours ago, GoBigFred said:

That’s great roster management if we can swing it

Updating my roster speculation:

99.99%:

Dachon Burke, Guard, 6-4, Jr.

Jervay Green, Guard, 6-3, Jr.

Akol Arop, Forward, 6-6, Fr.

Haanif Cheatham, Guard, 6-5, Sr. 

Most likely as of right now: 

Amir Harris, Guard, 6-6, So.

Brady Heiman, Forward, 6-11, So.

Karrington Davis, Guard, 6-6, RFr.

Thorir Thorbjarnarson, Guard, 6-6, Jr.

50/50: 

Cameron Mack, Guard, 6-2, So. (JUCO)

Maybe (visited or intends to):

Kevin Cross, Forward, 6-8, Fr. (HS)

Dalano Banton, Guard, 6-8, So. (Western Kentucky sit-out transfer)

Jayce Johnson, Center, 7-0, Sr. (Utah grad transfer)

Yvan Ouedraogo, Forward, 6-8, Fr. (HS)

Matej Kavas, Forward, 6-8, Sr. (Seattle grad transfer)

Maurice Calloo, Forward, 6-9, So. (Oklahoma State sit-out 1/2 transfer)

Joel Ntambwe, Forward, 6-9, So. (UNLV sit-out transfer *pending waiver)

Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua, Forward, 6-8, So. (UNLV sit-out transfer *pending waiver)

Possibilities:

Tomas Woldetensae, Guard, 6-5, Jr. (JUCO)

Kendall Lewis, Forward, 6-6, Fr. (HS)

Terry Nolan, Guard, 6-2, Jr. (George Washington sit-out transfer)

Kerry Blackshear, Forward, 6-8, Sr. (Virginia Tech grad transfer)

Jahvon Quinerly, Guard, 6-0, So. (Villanova sit-out transfer)

Teyvion Kirk, Guard, 6-1, Jr. (Ohio sit-out transfer)

LJ Figueroa, Guard, 6-6, Sr. (St. John's sit-out transfer)

Doubtful: 
Isaiah Roby, Forward, 6-8, Sr.

Edited by GoBigFred

5 hours ago, GoBigFred said:

99.99%:

50/50: 

Yvan Ouedraogo, Forward, Fr. (HS)

Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua, Forward, 6-8, So. (UNLV sit-out transfer *pending waiver)

Possibilities:

Doubtful: 

This is perfect thanks.

23 hours ago, GoBigFred said:

99.99%:

50/50: 

Yvan Ouedraogo, Forward, Fr. (HS)

Possibilities:

Doubtful: 

Tomas Woldetensae visited/is planning to??

Ideal situation for me is...

Roby returns

Thor goes to Iceland

1.  Jervay Green

2.  Amir Harrs

3.  Brady Heiman

4.  Dachon Burke

5.  Haanif Cheatham

6.  Akol Arop

7.  Karrington Davis

8.  Isaiah Roby

9.  Matej Kavas