19-20 roster

1 hour ago, GoBigFred said:

For the sake of the argument, let's say the following 11 players want to be Huskers and commit/transfer here:

Cam Mack (eligible)

Dachon Burke (eligible)

Jervay Green (eligible)

Joel Ntambwe 

Akol Arop (eligible)

Haanif Cheatham (eligible)

Maurice Calloo (1/2 eligible)

Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua

Eric Williams 

Terry Nolan 

Kendall Lewis (eligible)

That leaves 2 scholarships for: 

Amir Harris

Brady Heiman

Karrington Davis

Thorir Thorbjarnarson

Nana Akenten

In my opinion the staff will have zero hesitation about taking those first 11 guys and encouraging at least 3 of those other 5 that a different system is better for them.

I cannot upvote this enough.

I've said it before but let me say it again: We are not spending $4million a year on coaching salaries and bringing in top notch recruiters in the hopes that guys already on the roster with significant holes in their games will develop enough to be serviceable down the road while passing on players who have a better chance of fitting this system and helping us win.  Now.

Realistically i think only Brady, Dachon, and Amir stay. Just bc someone points out a strength in a player or how they could fit in or grow in the system, doesnt mean they are necessarily advocating for them to stay. I am gonna work with what we got, which is currently: Isaiah Roby, Dachon Burke, Thor, Amir Harris, Brady Heiman, Karrington Davis, Akol Arop, and Jervay Green. Im gonna talk about who is currently on the team. And im gonna talk about how i think we should use the available scholarships we currently  have. I think, for the most part, I have been consistent in that way.

1 hour ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Amir and Brady will be 4 year players here as long as they want to be. Don’t know what to make if karrington Davis. Could be a 4 year starter or could be nothing. I think Thor is probably a casualty  

I would be more surprised if Amir IS around for 4 years than if he ISN'T.

I've gone back and watched some archived ISU games while Hoiberg was there. Someone else posted stats on it. You didn't play for him if you couldn't shoot the ball.  This is not an offense that likes the 3 but loves the rim; this is an offense that loves the 3. Loves it. Like find yourself someone who looks at you the way Fred Hoiberg looks at the three.

Amir don't got no three. With hard work and perseverance, he could maybe develop one in a couple of years, but there are other guys around who have it now. So ...

I’m a season ticket holder so I was at every home game and watched the Huskers shooting threes in warmups and the best pure shooter on the team is Costello. I’ve seen him hit ten or more “nothing but net” three’s in a row during warmups. 

So so if Hoiberg truely lives three point shooters he may play Costello some in this transition year.

1 minute ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Shooting can be taught can’t it? 

Yes, but even with the greatest coaching, some are much better at it than others.  

Not to disparage my wife, but she could go through the most intensive shooting drills and coaching ever provided, but she will never, ever be a good shooter.  Just saying.

48 minutes ago, imnothipp said:

hard to believe Harris and Arop stay for 4 years. Neither can shoot. Maybe 1, but don't see both. 

What I've seen of Arop gives me some degree of optimism that he could actually develop a jumper. Amir would have to basically start all over from scratch. He needed to start doing it when he arrived on campus. I don't see any evidence that it actually happened.

12 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Yes, but even with the greatest coaching, some are much better at it than others.  

Not to disparage my wife, but she could go through the most intensive shooting drills and coaching ever provided, but she will never, ever be a good shooter.  Just saying.

Sounds like your wife should play my wife one on one. First to score wins!

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I would be more surprised if Amir IS around for 4 years than if he ISN'T.

I've gone back and watched some archived ISU games while Hoiberg was there. Someone else posted stats on it. You didn't play for him if you couldn't shoot the ball.  This is not an offense that likes the 3 but loves the rim; this is an offense that loves the 3. Loves it. Like find yourself someone who looks at you the way Fred Hoiberg looks at the three.

Amir don't got no three. With hard work and perseverance, he could maybe develop one in a couple of years, but there are other guys around who have it now. So ...

Exactly. Yes these coaches claim to be able to teach shooting. But Amir didn’t even attempt a 3 this year, and Heiman attempted one. This tells me neither is remotely comfortable or confident in their shooting ability. 

19 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Shooting can be taught can’t it? 

I can teach any kid the alphabet, I am pretty sure of that. 

But I could also find a kid who already knows the alphabet. That sounds a lot easier. 

Edited by GoBigFred

21 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Sure. Did you see Amir make any progress from November to March?

Well he had mono and then when he got back from that he was playing post before he messed up his knee. Not to mention the last staff didn’t really have a track record of helping guys shots. 

I dont know if amir ever becomes an average 3 point shooter. I just don’t see us giving up on him. All those 2020 offers we have out are real nice, but actually getting them here is a whole other ball game. 

1 minute ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Well he had mono and then when he got back from that he was playing post before he messed up his knee. Not to mention the last staff didn’t really have a track record of helping guys shots. 

I dont know if amir ever becomes an average 3 point shooter. I just don’t see us giving up on him. All those 2020 offers we have out are real nice, but actually getting them here is a whole other ball game. 

Let's start with October, because that's when we first saw Amir at PBA for that open scrimmage.

I saw him then; I saw him in warmups in March.

His jumper looked just as shitty in March as it did in October.

His freethrow stroke is a disaster. They say FT% is a predictor of developing 3-pt% in the pros. Well ... Amir is under 30%. At free throws.

Here are numbers from another 6-6 kid. One who is visiting soon.

SEASON TEAM
2017-18
DUQDUQ
2018-19
DUQDUQ

GP GS MPG FG FG% 3PT 3P% FT FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
32 31 33.7 4.6-11.7 39.2 2.1-5.8 36.4 3.0-4.1 74.0 2.1 6.6 8.8 1.6 0.3 1.3 2.3 2.1 14.3
32 28 30.8 4.7-11.1 42.4 1.8-4.7 37.1 2.8-3.7 74.8 2.9 4.7 7.6 1.4 0.2 1.1 1.9 1.7 14.0

When Doc was talking about Fred's offensive imagination at the press conference, my ears perked up when he said, "Who would have thought to make Royce White a point guard?  What is he, 6-8, 6-9?  Couldn't shoot a lick, but no one could keep in front of him either."  My mind immediately went to Amir Harris.  I think with Hoiberg it will be interesting to see how he can use him, but I'm sure he has a role on the team going forward.  And I think if anyone can help Amir improve his shot it will be Fred.  

There are certainly scenarios where I can see Amir being somewhat effective in Hoiberg ran offense without being able to shoot a three.  Can he impact the game in enough other positive ways?  I can see scenarios where that is the case.  Ultimately, I lean to the side of Norm on this one.  But I can certainly see more paths where we are wrong than I think Norm does at this point.  

Just now, royalfan said:

Speaking of Roby.  We all realize that having him back is a big deal.  What we all don't realize is that we are going to see a lot of players of this caliber in the near future.  Some not as talented as him but will be much better than he has been.  

I really hope Isaiah Roby realizes his pro potential will be greatly heightened with 1 year under Hoiberg & Co. As it is, he might get drafted, and he might even make a team but it's doubtful he'll play meaningful minutes. With that additional collegiate experience under an NBA-caliber coach, Zay will be transformed into a legit NBA rotation-type performer. Now, the pros are all about fit & such, so no one is guaranteed minutes given the circumstance. I'd love to see #15 one more season, maybe it's pie-in-the-sky thinking at this point. ((sigh))

1 minute ago, AuroranHusker said:

I really hope Isaiah Roby realizes his pro potential will be greatly heightened with 1 year under Hoiberg & Co. As it is, he might get drafted, and he might even make a team but it's doubtful he'll play meaningful minutes. With that additional collegiate experience under an NBA-caliber coach, Zay will be transformed into a legit NBA rotation-type performer. Now, the pros are all about fit & such, so no one is guaranteed minutes given the circumstance. I'd love to see #15 one more season, maybe it's pie-in-the-sky thinking at this point. ((sigh))

I just hope he doesn't settle.  If he cannot get a first round guarantee, or a really good 2nd round gaurantee(which happens) I think he should come back.  Hoiberg has great connections, Hoiberg can help develop his shot, Hoiberg will know what he needs to improve.  Hoiberg can make him a first rounder which is very lucrative as it comes with a 2 year guaranteed contract.  

1 minute ago, royalfan said:

I just hope he doesn't settle.  If he cannot get a first round guarantee, or a really good 2nd round gaurantee(which happens) I think he should come back.  Hoiberg has great connections, Hoiberg can help develop his shot, Hoiberg will know what he needs to improve.  Hoiberg can make him a first rounder which is very lucrative as it comes with a 2 year guaranteed contract.  

Totally agree. A baller has to become the best baller he can be. For Roby, that's in Lincoln with Freddy making him into a dude. Right now, he's strictly "potential."