19-20 roster

2 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Agree.  The only ones I disagree with what some people are saying are Amir and Brady.  I think Amir is an NBA defender and athlete.  He brings enough on the defensive end and in transition to warrant a spot regardless of how his shot develops.  I actually think Brady fits Fred's system a lot better than Tim's, and he already has a serviceable 3pt shot.  

Beyond those two, Fred has clearly made it a point to go after the guys he deems worthy to be here who have already been recruited.  It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.  

I like Brady.  I think he'll have an improved 3-point shot going into next season.  He has a lot of work to do but he has a lot to work with as well.

I'm not so confident that Amir will ever have a good jump shot.  His mechanics are such a dumpster fire at this point that it'll take completely breaking them down and starting over.  Yes, he has length and athleticism.  You know what?  So does this Duquesne transfer we're looking at who also shoots the ball at 38% from long range.

43 minutes ago, LK1 said:

If we get Mack, we might see a lineup of:

Mack

Green

Burke

Arop

Heiman

Might be a stretch for Akol, but he's a banger and a nifty finisher around the rim.  Great athleticism, decent handles, and a good 3pt stroke.  I think Heiman will be encouraged to let it fly from deep next year.  Wouldn't be a bad thing to have 5 guys out there with range and have Amir come out as the greatest Benny Parker ever off the bench.  

The more I think about Arop, the less I think Nana has a job.  Akol screams Ade 2.0 to me.  

I think you would see a lot more 4 guard sets than what you listed above.

Mack/Green/Burke/Harris and Heiman maybe?

This lineup would still not be great. I do think we will land a few guys to fill it out still. And if Nana truly has it figured out, he probably lands in the starting lineup.

Hoiberg and Co. still have a lot to do. 

A lot of discussion about Amir. I personally think if he can get a semi respectable jumper he will fit in perfect. 

Now. His mechanics on his jump shot are out of whack. We all know that. BUT, if there's any staff that I trust to get his jump shot right, it's this one. I'm not expecting a HUGE jump next year. But by his junior year I truly think we'll see a much different player with his jumper. 

With that being said, I think the only toss ups right now to come back next year are Nana and Thor, as we've all discussed. Thor always seemed to inject energy whenever he played and was an outstanding passer. Personally, I'm out on Nana. Didn't perform well in P5 ball for my comfort. But I'd welcome him back if the staff trusts him. 

I'm going to PENCIL in Haanif Cheatham right now. I think Roby is gone from what I'm hearing. So that leaves then with only one front court player. One of the UNLV kids will be nice. Calloo would be nice. Will be an interesting next few weeks

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

I like Brady.  I think he'll have an improved 3-point shot going into next season.  He has a lot of work to do but he has a lot to work with as well.

I'm not so confident that Amir will ever have a good jump shot.  His mechanics are such a dumpster fire at this point that it'll take completely breaking them down and starting over.  Yes, he has length and athleticism.  You know what?  So does this Duquesne transfer we're looking at who also shoots the ball at 38% from long range.

I hear you, but Amir is the type of kid you can sic latch onto another team's best scorer (1-4) and bring hell to the game.  He's also a good rebounder and finisher with PG handles.  I realize shooting is going to matter more in Fred's offense (and I welcome this eternally), but Amir just looks like a kid that has the it factor, and I'm very hesitant to let kids like that walk.  There will be a lot more Iowa-esque games in his future.  

13 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Agree.  The only ones I disagree with what some people are saying are Amir and Brady.  I think Amir is an NBA defender and athlete.  He brings enough on the defensive end and in transition to warrant a spot regardless of how his shot develops.  I actually think Brady fits Fred's system a lot better than Tim's, and he already has a serviceable 3pt shot.  

Beyond those two, Fred has clearly made it a point to go after the guys he deems worthy to be here who have already been recruited.  It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.  

Brady was 10 for 50 from 3 (20%) in Class B Nebraska, where other team's tallest players are 6-5. He was 0-1 in 256 minutes on the court this season. He and Amir were a combined 0-1 from 3 in 524 minutes this season. 

In ISU's Sweet 16 year in 2013-14, they had a 7-man rotation. Every one of those 7 players attempted at least 64 threes in the season. The worst 3-point percentage was 32.7%. For reference, they had 7 players who were better 3-point shooters than James Palmer. 

Our roster will be a massive overhaul of new players, if not this year, then next. If you are not a scoring threat, they will find someone who is.  

Edited by GoBigFred

1 minute ago, LK1 said:

I hear you, but Amir is the type of kid you can sic latch onto another team's best scorer (1-4) and bring hell to the game.  He's also a good rebounder and finisher with PG handles.  I realize shooting is going to matter more in Fred's offense (and I welcome this eternally), but Amir just looks like a kid that has the it factor, and I'm very hesitant to let kids like that walk.  There will be a lot more Iowa-esque games in his future.  

I trusted Amir going to the hole during the last few games more than I did anyone else, honestly.  Kid can finish!

Just now, GoBigFred said:

Brady was 10 for 50 from 3 (20%) in Class B Nebraska, where other team's tallest players are 6-5. He was 0-1 in 256 minutes on the court this season. He and Amir were a combined 0-1 from 3 in 524 minutes this season. 

In ISU's Sweet 16 year in 2013-14, they had a 7-man rotation. Every one of those 7 players attempted at least 64 threes in the season. The worst 3-point percentage was 32.7%. For reference, they had 7 players who were better 3-point shooters than James Palmer. 

Our roster will be a massive overhaul of new players, if not this year, then next. 

That's incredible.  It's also coaching.  If you have good mechanics, you typically get better with the number of attempts you take, especially if that's your coach's philosophy and you are hoisting hundreds of threes in practice every day.  I might die on this hill, but I think Fred makes Brady a player moving forward.

I never said anything about Amir being able to shoot.  I said every single other component of his game gets him on the court and he contributes.  

1 minute ago, thrasher31 said:

A lot of discussion about Amir. I personally think if he can get a semi respectable jumper he will fit in perfect. 

Now. His mechanics on his jump shot are out of whack. We all know that. BUT, if there's any staff that I trust to get his jump shot right, it's this one. I'm not expecting a HUGE jump next year. But by his junior year I truly think we'll see a much different player with his jumper. 

With that being said, I think the only toss ups right now to come back next year are Nana and Thor, as we've all discussed. Thor always seemed to inject energy whenever he played and was an outstanding passer. Personally, I'm out on Nana. Didn't perform well in P5 ball for my comfort. But I'd welcome him back if the staff trusts him. 

I'm going to PENCIL in Haanif Cheatham right now. I think Roby is gone from what I'm hearing. So that leaves then with only one front court player. One of the UNLV kids will be nice. Calloo would be nice. Will be an interesting next few weeks

I go back to the game show "Let's Make a Deal" and do I stick with what I have or do I go with whatever is behind Door #3?

When it came to talking coaching changes, I was absolutely against rinse and repeat of the "bring the next rising mid-major coach aboard" philosophy that hadn't worked all that well in the past.  I'd rather keep Miles than take whatever mid-major up-and-comer was behind Door #3.

That equation all changes when you have a better sense of what you're getting.  Would you rather have this nice Rav4, or what's behind Door #3? Before you answer, let me show you that there's a new Lexus crossover SUV behind Door #3. Now tell me which one you choose.  Different scenario, right?

With players, do you want to try to work and develop a guy that was brought in by a previous administration whose recruiting efforts were (IMO) hamstrung by the prior AD's decision not to extend him?  Or do you want what's behind Door #3, knowing that the guys who are putting players behind Door #3 are widely considered some of the best recruiters in the country, recruiting to a system where the coach is not on the hot seat?

In that situation, I'm inclined to take whatever's behind Door #3 and roll the dice that those guys are going to be better players.

Just now, LK1 said:

That's incredible.  It's also coaching.  If you have good mechanics, you typically get better with the number of attempts you take, especially if that's your coach's philosophy and you are hoisting hundreds of threes in practice every day.  I might die on this hill, but I think Fred makes Brady a player moving forward.

I never said anything about Amir being able to shoot.  I said every single other component of his game gets him on the court and he contributes.  

Yeah, you're right. Some of it is coaching, and some of it is also his system creates open looks for guys, which are a lot easier shots than the fadeaways with a guy in your face like our guys were so keen on taking. 

I think Fred can make Brady, Amir, Nana, Karrington, Thor, and anyone else, better players. The question is, does he want to or see the need to? Or does he think it's easier to just find better players. 

19 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Don't be so hesitant when you have specifically targeted and hired assistant coaches who can recruit, and a head coach who not only isn't on the hot seat but who has some NBA cred to bring along with him.

I think it would be beyond foolish to think that this staff wouldn't be able to upgrade the talent in a relatively short window of time.  And if they can do so, it would be relatively even more foolish to hang onto players who require some degree of improvement to an important skill beyond the normal development that you'd generally expect to see.

Bottom line: The new staff isn't going to keep holdover players unless they think they'll be better players than other players they'd be likely to find doing their own recruiting.

Edited by Norm Peterson

For the sake of the argument, let's say the following 11 players want to be Huskers and commit/transfer here:

Cam Mack (eligible)

Dachon Burke (eligible)

Jervay Green (eligible)

Joel Ntambwe 

Akol Arop (eligible)

Haanif Cheatham (eligible)

Maurice Calloo (1/2 eligible)

Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua

Eric Williams 

Terry Nolan 

Kendall Lewis (eligible)

That leaves 2 scholarships for: 

Amir Harris

Brady Heiman

Karrington Davis

Thorir Thorbjarnarson

Nana Akenten

In my opinion the staff will have zero hesitation about taking those first 11 guys and encouraging at least 3 of those other 5 that a different system is better for them.

An early prediction of our roster next year:

Cam Mack 

Daichon

Jervay

Amir

Nana

Brady

Akol

Haanif

Calloo

Kendall Lewis

Karrington Davis

Joel Ntambwe and Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua sitting out.

Lineup 1000% guess:

Cam

Daichon

Jervay

Haanif

Calloo

Amir

Nana

Brady

Kendall

Karrington

Edited by noahjb24

Not to beat a dead horse, but I did some research....

In Hoiberg's first year at Iowa State, there were 14 players from McDermott's last team who were eligible to return under Hoiberg in year 1. Of those 14, only 4 were on the roster in 2010-11. In Year 2, only 2 remained. There were ELEVEN new players on the roster in Hoiberg's first year.

If the only Husker currently on the team to finish his career at Nebraska is Dachon Burke, I would not be the least bit surprised.

Edited by GoBigFred

5 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

In Hoiberg's first year at Iowa State, there were 14 players from McDermott's last team who were eligible to return under Hoiberg in year 1. Of those 14, only 4 were on the roster in 2010-11. In Year 2, only 2 remained. There were ELEVEN new players on the roster in Hoiberg's first year.

If the only Husker currently on the team to finish his career at Nebraska is Dachon Burke, I would not be the least bit surprised.

Wow!

Good find!

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I go back to the game show "Let's Make a Deal" and do I stick with what I have or do I go with whatever is behind Door #3?

When it came to talking coaching changes, I was absolutely against rinse and repeat of the "bring the next rising mid-major coach aboard" philosophy that hadn't worked all that well in the past.  I'd rather keep Miles than take whatever mid-major up-and-comer was behind Door #3.

That equation all changes when you have a better sense of what you're getting.  Would you rather have this nice Rav4, or what's behind Door #3? Before you answer, let me show you that there's a new Lexus crossover SUV behind Door #3. Now tell me which one you choose.  Different scenario, right?

My Rav 4 is really damn nice. So the Lexus version must be dynamite!`*

* Sponsored by Toyota Motor North America, Inc.

30 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

You have to keep this in perspective. When Hoiberg started at ISU, he inherited a roster from Greg McSpermott, who didn't have one of his kids on the team at that point.

48 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

An early prediction of our roster next year:

Cam Mack 

Daichon

Jervay

Amir

Nana

Brady

Akol

Haanif

Calloo

Kendall Lewis

Karrington Davis

Joel Ntambwe and Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua sitting out.

Lineup 1000% guess:

Cam

Daichon

Jervay

Haanif

Calloo

Amir

Nana

Brady

Kendall

Karrington

Well this aged poorly.

1 hour ago, atskooc said:

I trusted Amir going to the hole during the last few games more than I did anyone else, honestly.  Kid can finish!

This and if he improves his vision, he heads to the hole and kicks it out for an open 3 I am okay with that.

Brady was a deer in the headlights and was this year's version of the Freshman who got pulled immediately if he made a mistake while older guys could compound their mistakes.

1 hour ago, GoBigFred said:

For the sake of the argument, let's say the following 11 players want to be Huskers and commit/transfer here:

Cam Mack (eligible)

Dachon Burke (eligible)

Jervay Green (eligible)

Joel Ntambwe 

Akol Arop (eligible)

Maurice Calloo (1/2 eligible)

Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua

Eric Williams 

Terry Nolan 

Kendall Lewis (eligible)

That leaves 2 scholarships for: 

Amir Harris

Brady Heiman

Karrington Davis

Thorir Thorbjarnarson

Nana Akenten

In my opinion the staff will have zero hesitation about taking those first 11 guys and encouraging at least 3 of those other 5 that a different system is better for them.

If I had all those guys as options. I would go with:

Guards:

Cam Mack (eligible)

Dachon Burke (eligible)

Jervay Green (eligible)

Eric Williams -SITS 1 YEAR

Amir Harris

Forwards:

Joel Ntambwe -SITS 1 YEAR

Akol Arop (eligible)

Maurice Calloo -SITS half year

Karrington Davis

Center:

Brady Heiman

4 hours ago, GoBigFred said:

Allow me to take a crack on guessing our 2019-20 scholarship players. Opinions/changes welcome:

99.9%:

Dachon Burke, Guard, 6-4, Jr.

Jervay Green, Guard, 6-3, Jr.

Akol Arop, Forward, 6-6, Fr.

Most likely as of right now: 

Amir Harris, Guard, 6-6, So.

Brady Heiman, Forward, 6-11, So.

Karrington Davis, Guard, 6-6, RFr.

Thorir Thorbjarnarson, Guard, 6-6, Jr.

50/50: 

Haanif Cheatham, Guard, 6-5, Sr. (FGCU GRAD transfer)

Maybe (visited or intends to):
Cameron Mack, Guard, 6-2, So. (JUCO)

Maurice Calloo, Forward, 6-9, So. (Oklahoma State transfer)

Joel Ntambwe, Forward, 6-9, So. (UNLV transfer)

Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua, Forward, 6-8, So. (UNLV transfer)

Offered (interest unknown):

Kendall Lewis, Forward, 6-6, Fr. (HS)

Eric Williams, Guard, 6-6, Jr. (Duquesne transfer)

Terry Nolan, Guard, 6-2, Jr. (George Washington transfer)

Dalano Banton, Guard, 6-8, So. (Western Kentucky transfer)

Doubtful: 
Isaiah Roby, Forward, 6-8, Sr.

Updated to remove Nana. Keep that news coming!