19-20 roster

39 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I haven't noticed anyone saying Brady is dead in the water. I think Brady is a kid who, if he bulks up a bit and grooves that jumper, could really contribute in a Hoiberg system.  And I think he has the ability to do those things.

If I were Fred -- which, obviously, I'm not -- I might clear some roster space in order to make room for some transfers, assuming we can find some guys to bring in, which I imagine they can.  But Brady is NOT one of the kids I would invite to leave.

I've listened to and read so much stuff lately I don't remember where I heard it, but they said when they have big guys, they want them to defend and finish at the rim and that's actually what does. With a few more pounds, he might actually be really good at it.

46 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Per radio this morning, Washut said:

Roby is essentially gone no matter what.

Decent shot to land Cheatham -- likely deciding mid-May.  Visiting us first this weekend.

Good shot to land Mack -- likely visiting next weekend.  Mack would take us from very formidable backcourt to one of the best in the B1G, imo.  

Sniffing around a lot of athletic PFs who can swing the 4-5.  Might be a grad transfer or two with regard to this spot.  

ROBY- So, even if he doesnt go NBA he might "andrew White" it?

I would love if we could add 2 athletic 6'7-6'9 guys who can run/stretch the floor. But so would just about every other college, hence why the competition is so heavy. 

23 hours ago, LK1 said:

Per radio this morning, Washut said:

Roby is essentially gone no matter what.

Decent shot to land Cheatham -- likely deciding mid-May.  Visiting us first this weekend.

Good shot to land Mack -- likely visiting next weekend.  Mack would take us from very formidable backcourt to one of the best in the B1G, imo.  

Sniffing around a lot of athletic PFs who can swing the 4-5.  Might be a grad transfer or two with regard to this spot.  

Allow me to take a crack on guessing our 2019-20 scholarship players. Opinions/changes welcome:

99.9%:

Dachon Burke, Guard, 6-4, Jr.

Jervay Green, Guard, 6-3, Jr.

Akol Arop, Forward, 6-6, Fr.

Most likely as of right now: 

Amir Harris, Guard, 6-6, So.

Brady Heiman, Forward, 6-11, So.

Karrington Davis, Guard, 6-6, RFr.

Thorir Thorbjarnarson, Guard, 6-6, Jr.

50/50: 

Haanif Cheatham, Guard, 6-5, Sr. (FGCU GRAD transfer)

Maybe (visited or intends to):
Cameron Mack, Guard, 6-2, So. (JUCO)

Maurice Calloo, Forward, 6-9, So. (Oklahoma State transfer)

Joel Ntambwe, Forward, 6-9, So. (UNLV transfer)

Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua, Forward, 6-8, So. (UNLV transfer)

Tomas Woldetensae, Guard, 6-5, Jr. (JUCO)

Offered (interest unknown):

Kendall Lewis, Forward, 6-6, Fr. (HS)

Terry Nolan, Guard, 6-2, Jr. (George Washington transfer)

Dalano Banton, Guard, 6-8, So. (Western Kentucky transfer)

Doubtful: 
Isaiah Roby, Forward, 6-8, Sr.

0%:

Nana Akenten, Guard, 6-6, Jr.

Eric Williams, Guard, 6-6, Jr. (Duquesne transfer)

Edited by GoBigFred

7 minutes ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

ROBY- So, even if he doesnt go NBA he might "andrew White" it?

I would love if we could add 2 athletic 6'7-6'9 guys who can run/stretch the floor. But so would just about every other college, hence why the competition is so heavy. 

nah Roby doesn't want to play college bball anymore. NBA or G League I would say. 

1 hour ago, noahjb24 said:

...and to be honest think it'd be best for both parties if Thor went to play professionally in Iceland.

I guess I don't get this sentiment. I be no means am enamored with Thor. However, and I may be misunderstanding this, its my understanding we have 4 scholarships open for next year WITH Thor. Someone on here in one of the threads said (paraphrasing) it will be a matter of IF we can fill all our scholarships. I understand the reputations of some of our new coaches recruiting acumen. But color me skeptical that this recruiting acumen translates into enough help next year. Is Thor next year really that bad? I mean how many of those unused scholarships are going to have to sit a year? Are we looking at only 7-8 guys that are eligible to play. Count me in the group that thinks Roby is gone. I am as excited as any person but I still see a big transition year next year where we are hamstrung by depth and inexperience. Thor, I think, helps bridge that year.

Edited by cornfed24-7
sp

45 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

Allow me to take a crack on guessing our 2019-20 scholarship players. Opinions/changes welcome:

So the most likely use of the 13 scholarships would leave us with 10 active players in the first semester, 11 in the second, and two sit-out-a-year transfers:

• the eight players currently under scholarship (but not Roby) or who will be under scholarship in the fall, all of them active;
  • Cheatham and Mack, both immediately eligible;
  • Calloo, who could be eligible by second semester
  • Ntambwe and Tchatchoua, both slated to sit out a year unless they receive a waiver.

That would make us relatively small next year. We would also have just one senior on the roster next year in Cheatham. I might expect them to find two grad transfers if Roby goes pro. Second, unless there's some serious trimming of the roster going forward, there won't be room for both of our current 2020 commits and Jalen Suggs. ?

Of course, projecting college basketball rosters this time of year is a fool's errand. So here goes one fool's attempt, which assumes Nono Nana or Thor.

2019-2020 (Active Roster)

1. Cheatham, 6-5 Sr.
  2. GRAD TRANSFER, Sr.
  3. Green, 6-3 Jr.
  4. Burke, 6-4 Jr.
  5. Mack, 6-2 So..
  6. Harris, 6-6 So.
  7. Calloo, 6-9 So. (Second semester only)
  8. Heiman, 6-11 So.
  9. K. Davis, 6-6 RFr.
  10. Arop, 6-6 Fr.

2020-2021 (12 scholarships)

1. Green, 6-3 Sr.
  2. Burke, 6-4 Sr.
  3. Mack, 6-2 Jr.
  4. Harris, 6-6 Jr..
  5. Calloo, 6-9 Jr.
  6. Heiman, 6-11 Jr.
  7. K. Davis, 6-6 So.
  8. Arop, 6-6 So.
  9. Ntambwe, 6-9 So.
  10. Tchatchoua, 6-8 So.
  11. D. Davis, 6-5 Fr.
  12. Williams, 6-5 Fr.
  13. Suggs, 6-5 Fr. ?
Edited by jayschool

32 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I guess I don't get this sentiment. I be no means am enamored with Thor. However, and I may be misunderstanding this, its my understanding we have 4 scholarships open for next year WITH Thor. Someone on here in one of the threads said (paraphrasing) it will be a matter of IF we can fill all our scholarships. I understand the reputations of some of our new coaches recruiting acumen. But color me skeptical that this recruiting acumen translates into enough help next year. Is Thor next year really that bad? I mean how many of those unused scholarships are going to have to sit a year? Are we looking at only 7-8 guys that are eligible to play. Count me in the group that thinks Roby is gone. I am as excited as any person but I still see a big transition year next year where we are hamstrung by depth and inexperience. Thor, I think, helps bridge that year.

Nice thing about grad transfers is they are gone after this year.

We have two 2020 commits. There are actually a few additional 2020 names we're being mentioned in connection with who are top 50 to top 75 players.

Replacing guys who are clearly not long-term fits with grad transfers who will be gone after next season would open up some room for the opportunity to try to land a couple of those 2020 4-stars.

I think Thor would be smart to stay at least a year maybe even two more. He could learn a lot on both the offensive and defensive ends that would be very beneficial in his pro career. Which could increase how much hes making and for how long he is playing in Iceland (or with bigger Euro clubs).

I also think has some value to the staff with his passing abilities and team defense.

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

I think Thor would be smart to stay at least a year maybe even two more. He could learn a lot on both the offensive and defensive ends that would be very beneficial in his pro career. Which could increase how much hes making and for how long he is playing in Iceland (or with bigger Euro clubs).

I also think has some value to the staff with his passing abilities and team defense.

Yep.  I think Thor would get minutes next year, and his passing ability could help us in transition.  Have we heard that Trueblood is moving on for sure?  We could use him as well.  

7 minutes ago, khoock said:

He could learn a lot as a student manager.

Thor is a career 21% 3-point shooter.  He was a reach offer when we made it.  He's a nice kid and a good teammate.  His skillset does not translate very well to the new coach's system. That happens sometimes with coaching changes. Just ask Joe Daley. Or Patrick O'Brien.

Not bashing Thor, but a guard in this system needs a jumper and Thor doesn't have one.

Same thing would be true for Amir if I'm being totally honest.

Edited by Norm Peterson

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Thor is a career 21% 3-point shooter.  He was a reach offer when we made it.  He's a nice kid and a good teammate.  His skillset does not translate very well to the new coach's system. That happens sometimes with coaching changes. Just ask Joe Daley. Or Patrick O'Brien.

Not bashing Thor, but a guard in this system needs a jumper and Thor doesn't have one.

I think Amir can play the 4 based on what I saw last season.  Fred likes buckets at the rim too, and that kid has high upside as a finisher in transition.  If I'm Thor, I'm shooting threes and running sprints exclusively for the next few months.  

22 minutes ago, jayschool said:

So the most likely use of the 13 scholarships would leave us with 10 active players in the first semester, 11 in the second, and two sit-out-a-year transfers:

• the eight players currently under scholarship (but not Roby) or who will be under scholarship in the fall, all of them active;
  • Cheatham and Mack, both immediately eligible;
  • Calloo, who could be eligible by second semester
  • Ntambwe and Tchatchoua, both slated to sit out a year unless they receive a waiver.

That would make us relatively small next year. We would also have just one senior on the roster next year in Cheatham. I might expect them to find two grad transfers if Roby goes pro. Second, unless there's some serious trimming of the roster going forward, there won't be room for both of our current 2020 commits and Jalen Suggs. ?

Of course, projecting college basketball rosters this time of year is a fool's errand. So here goes one fool's attempt, which assumes Nono Nana or Thor.

2019-2020 (Active Roster)

1. Cheatham, 6-5 Sr.
  2. GRAD TRANSFER, Sr.
  3. Green, 6-3 Jr.
  4. Burke, 6-4 Jr.
  5. Mack, 6-2 So..
  6. Harris, 6-6 So.
  7. Calloo, 6-9 So. (Second semester only)
  8. Heiman, 6-11 So.
  9. K. Davis, 6-6 RFr.
  10. Arop, 6-6 Fr.

2020-2021 (12 scholarships)

1. Green, 6-3 Sr.
  2. Burke, 6-4 Sr.
  3. Mack, 6-2 Jr.
  4. Harris, 6-6 Jr..
  5. Calloo, 6-9 Jr.
  6. Heiman, 6-11 Jr.
  7. K. Davis, 6-6 So.
  8. Arop, 6-6 So.
  9. Ntambwe, 6-9 So.
  10. Tchatchoua, 6-8 So.
  11. D. Davis, 6-5 Fr.
  12. Williams, 6-5 Fr.
  13. Suggs, 6-5 Fr. ?

Just put Suggs on a football scholarship and we are set!

27 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Alot of it will depend on whether or not Hoiberg believes he can teach Amir and Thor to be adequate or better shooters. Now shot mechanics and shooting ability is far beyond my expertise but if Hoiberg sees something he can work with then we might be cookin.

Also, correct me if im wrong, but wasnt Thor like a 33% shooter from the FIBA 3pt line. That leads me to believe he can be better than what he has showed so far. 

Edited by khoock

If we get Mack, we might see a lineup of:

Mack

Green

Burke

Arop

Heiman

Might be a stretch for Akol, but he's a banger and a nifty finisher around the rim.  Great athleticism, decent handles, and a good 3pt stroke.  I think Heiman will be encouraged to let it fly from deep next year.  Wouldn't be a bad thing to have 5 guys out there with range and have Amir come out as the greatest Benny Parker ever off the bench.  

The more I think about Arop, the less I think Nana has a job.  Akol screams Ade 2.0 to me.  

6 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

If next year Arop and Heiman are starting we are in for a WORLD of hurt. 

haha my thought as well. Arop is more likely to redshirt than start. Heiman needs to redshirt if they see long-term potential in him, but we probably won't have enough active players for him to be able to. 

Has the NCAA waiver process become more lenient with coaching changes now? Like do the UNLV guys have a legitimate chance to be eligible next season? 

Just now, noahjb24 said:

If next year Arop and Heiman are starting we are in for a WORLD of hurt. 

I didn't say starting, but even if they are, I disagree if we have three guards in double figures every night.  That's another reason why I think Amir can still be effective.  He might not have to score a lot.

I saw plenty from Brady this year to believe he takes a big leap next season and ends up being good player for us.  It's 100% strength and conditioning.  He has skill.  

52 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Nice thing about grad transfers is they are gone after this year.

We have two 2020 commits. There are actually a few additional 2020 names we're being mentioned in connection with who are top 50 to top 75 players.

Replacing guys who are clearly not long-term fits with grad transfers who will be gone after next season would open up some room for the opportunity to try to land a couple of those 2020 4-stars.

I agree grad transfer>Thor.  If We fill out all the scholarships. I know the breakdowns have been done. So I apologize for asking and not looking it up.. But assuming Roby is gone. How many scholarships do we have filled with Thor?

And I see its right above ;)

Edited by cornfed24-7
sp

If Miles was still the coach, I would not be advocating cutting dead wood.  He recruited Nick Fuller; he stuck with Nick until Nick decided to go somewhere else to play his senior year.  You never heard me advocating processing Nick and moving him on to bring in a better player.

However, these are not the new coach's recruits. Last year's freshmen would tie up a roster spot for Hoiberg's first 3 seasons. A sophomore would tie up that spot for 2.

I strongly assume they will be able to find players out there who are a better fit for this new system than some of the players currently on board.

We are not spending $4 million in coaching salaries to saddle the guy with the last coach's players.

I do not get this notion that, hey, so-and-so could develop a jumper maybe, so let's see what he does. I know there are plenty of potential recruits out there who already have a jumper.  If we cannot land enough of them to fill out a roster, and there's still room for guys on this team who don't necessarily fit the system, I don't see any reason to hurry and part ways.

But if we can find more suitable players, I think we should try.

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

If Miles was still the coach, I would not be advocating cutting dead wood.  He recruited Nick Fuller; he stuck with Nick until Nick decided to go somewhere else to play his senior year.  You never heard me advocating processing Nick and moving him on to bring in a better player.

However, these are not the new coach's recruits. Last year's freshmen would tie up a roster spot for Hoiberg's first 3 seasons. A sophomore would tie up that spot for 2.

I strongly assume they will be able to find players out there who are a better fit for this new system than some of the players currently on board.

We are not spending $4 million in coaching salaries to saddle the guy with the last coach's players.

I do not get this notion that, hey, so-and-so could develop a jumper maybe, so let's see what he does. I know there are plenty of potential recruits out there who already have a jumper.  If we cannot land enough of them to fill out a roster, and there's still room for guys on this team who don't necessarily fit the system, I don't see any reason to hurry and part ways.

Agree.  The only ones I disagree with what some people are saying are Amir and Brady.  I think Amir is an NBA defender and athlete.  He brings enough on the defensive end and in transition to warrant a spot regardless of how his shot develops.  I actually think Brady fits Fred's system a lot better than Tim's, and he already has a serviceable 3pt shot.  

Beyond those two, Fred has clearly made it a point to go after the guys he deems worthy to be here who have already been recruited.  It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.  

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Norm, 100% agree. There are a handful of guys on our roster that this staff will be more focused on trying to get better players than instead of trying to develop their skills, IMO. 

Look at the guys they've offered or are trying to get: 

Mack = 34% 3pt (166 attempts)

Ntambwe = 38.6% 3pt (114 attempts)

Nolan = 35% 3pt (146 attempts)

Williams = 37% 3pt (151 attempts

Then compare it to our guys:

Nana = 30.4% (79 attempts)

Thor = 17.4% (23 attempts)

Amir = didn't even attempt a 3 in 268 minutes of playing time, and shot 29% at the free throw line

Brady = 0/1 from three last year and 20% 3pt shooter in high school (50 attempts)

If any of those guys weren't currently on our roster and were playing at a different school and were immediately eligible to transfer, would you be wanting us to go out and get them? Be honest.