Thirteen years ago

February: The AD had dinner at an Omaha Steakhouse with Rick Majerus. The press caught wind of it.  "We were just talking about our moms."

March: The basketball team won two games in the Big 12 Tournament, qualified for the NIT (where they lost in the first round), undercutting/preventing the AD's plans to fire the coach and replace him with Majerus. 

April: Ace recruiter Scott Spinelli quits to go take a job with … anyone else.

April-May: Aleks Maric puts his name in for the NBA draft; heads home to Australia at the end of the school year.

May-June: Barry Collier cannot find ANYONE legit to replace Spinelli on staff; ends up hiring Jamel White's uncle, an AAU coach from NYC, to replace Spinelli on staff.

April-July: Norm Peterson is in the depths of despair about the future of Husker Hoops.  Whenever anyone talks about "rock bottom," it didn't get any lower for me than this.

July: Barry Collier resigns as NU Hoops coach to become AD at Butler.

August: Nebraska hires Doc Sadler to replace Barry Collier.

August 2006:  Norm Peterson thinks things are looking up and it's maybe not so bad after all.

Thirteen years ago this spring, optimism about the future of this program was the polar opposite of where it is today.

Since there’s been a lot of “What if-ing” going on lately, “What If” we would have landed Majerus? One of the All-Time great characters in Hoops history. Final Four cred, great Coach & could spin a yarn with anybody. Might have been us instead of the Billicans with multiple tourney appearances.

Rick Majerus - during basically his whole career - interviewed for (or was rumored to be interested in) pretty much every single high major coaching job that ever came open, he also was rumored to have talked to Bob Devaney about the Nebraska job after Moe left.  I wouldn't put too much though into his ever being a remotely serious candidate for the job here.  (either time)

Edited by 49r

14 hours ago, 49r said:

Rick Majerus - during basically his whole career - interviewed for (or was rumored to be interested in) pretty much every single high major coaching job that ever came open, he also was rumored to have talked to Bob Delaney about the Nebraska job after Moe left.  I wouldn't put too much though into his ever being a remotely serious candidate for the job here.  (either time)

I’ve been told from a source I consider to be very reliable that, had Collier not gone on that run in the big 12 tournament and Peterson therefore had a little more political capital to use to replace him, that Rick Majerus would have been the head coach at Nebraska. 

2 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I have always liked him. Most of my buddies hate him, guess it was because he won all of the time. Also like The lefty Phi Mickelson, being a wrong arm myself.

It's possible that they weren't a fan of his personal life choices, but to each their own. If anything, it just showed us that Tiger Woods was more human than we imagined he was 20 years ago.

3 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

It's possible that they weren't a fan of his personal life choices, but to each their own. If anything, it just showed us that Tiger Woods was more human than we imagined he was 20 years ago.

One has to forgive the sins that one does. My wife was addicted to gambling, it cost her a good paying job, 401 and was cut out of the family inheritance and she did time!!!!

31 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I have always liked him. Most of my buddies hate him, guess it was because he won all of the time. Also like The lefty Phi Mickelson, being a wrong arm myself.

I prefer Phil, but I have a lot of respect for what Tiger accomplished, after basically being left for dead, professionally... and personally (in some ways).

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

It's been fourteen years since Tiger won his 4th Green Jacket. Today, Eldrick Woods won his 5th Masters Tournament. Incredible, particularly so after 4 back surgeries in the past 6 years.

This made me very happy...and yes, I even teared up a bit.  Good for Tiger, great for golf!