2019 Recruiting Wish List

khoock

7 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I think with the way the grad transfer market is now...you should never end up dramatically low on bodies.   It's a pseudo free agency.   Yes, you want to get someone who won't be a cancer, but there are a ton of Duby Okeke types who can give you marginal contributions and 5 fouls per game.

They gotta see some value in coming here for 2019-2020. Guys like Cheatham and Kavas it's an opportunity to display their skills at a higher level. Others are looking for a place where they can play on team thats headed somewhere in March. I agree though it sure would be nice to fill out the roster than leaving things to chance with a small roster both in number of bodies and in height.

26 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Is 9 bodies enough? For the most part yes, however, I have seen nights with Big 10 officials we could be cutting it close with just 9

Not ideal. I was just going off how he said he only had 7 eligible players, or something like that, his first year at Iowa St. So i made the assumption he would be comfortable rocking with 9 for a year.

9 minutes ago, rwhiston said:

They gotta see some value in coming here for 2019-2020. Guys like Cheatham and Kavas it's an opportunity to display their skills at a higher level. Others are looking for a place where they can play on team thats headed somewhere in March. I agree though it sure would be nice to fill out the roster than leaving things to chance with a small roster both in number of bodies and in height.

As I said...there will always be the Okeke types who are out there who really aren't P5 players but would love the chance to give it a go.   I have a hard time seeing us roll through the year with 9 scholarships total being used.   I think we will fill most of them, it just might not be with sexy names.   We just need some guys who can come in and not be a total loss defensively and give us 5 fouls in the post.   There are plenty of those guys out there each year.   Let them come in with their shot to play P5 ball, get them out after next year so you can replace them with the talented 2020 guys you are in on.

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

As I said...there will always be the Okeke types who are out there who really aren't P5 players but would love the chance to give it a go.   I have a hard time seeing us roll through the year with 9 scholarships total being used.   I think we will fill most of them, it just might not be with sexy names.   We just need some guys who can come in and not be a total loss defensively and give us 5 fouls in the post.   There are plenty of those guys out there each year.   Let them come in with their shot to play P5 ball, get them out after next year so you can replace them with the talented 2020 guys you are in on.

One year flyers on guys or even 2 year juco guys doesnt put you at much risk. It is fairly late to be getting freshman for this class but even with that in mind I see them being picky. Dont want to have a Scholly parked on a guy for 4 years.

I dont mind going the Miles route of leaving 1 scholarship open going into the season for an in-season transfer or something goofy like that.

That being said, of the current guys on roster/available for next year- We have ZERO big man depth.. so that has to be a focus for next year even if it is guys who arent great. We need something. 

2 hours ago, khoock said:

Not ideal. I was just going off how he said he only had 7 eligible players, or something like that, his first year at Iowa St. So i made the assumption he would be comfortable rocking with 9 for a year.

He also went 3-13 in conference in the Big 12 that year.  With the job they've done putting together a really good backcourt, it would be a shame to waste a year just because they're a couple players short.

4 hours ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

One year flyers on guys or even 2 year juco guys doesnt put you at much risk. It is fairly late to be getting freshman for this class but even with that in mind I see them being picky. Dont want to have a Scholly parked on a guy for 4 years.

I dont mind going the Miles route of leaving 1 scholarship open going into the season for an in-season transfer or something goofy like that.

That being said, of the current guys on roster/available for next year- We have ZERO big man depth.. so that has to be a focus for next year even if it is guys who arent great. We need something. 

Very little risk with the one year guys.

The Miles route of leaving 1 scholarship open for a mid-year transfer is idiotic at best.   We hit 14% on in that regard.   Now that doesn't necessarily mean to sign a guy for the sake of signing a guy to say you are at 13, but the concept of deliberately leaving a spot open is just dumb, outside of the first year or two when you are shaping your program is just negligent.   Again, there's a big difference between leaving a spot open and missing on a guy that would bring you to 13...but the target should always be to use the oversigning rule.

Agree with you on the big guys.   We have good enough guards/wings right now on the surface that next year doesn't have to be a total dumpster fire.   We need some warm bodies who can defend (at even an average level) in the Big 10.  

I dont have names but I would like a grad transfer gaurd. Doesnt have to be a super star but someone who can give us quality depth.

Also a grad transfer 4/5 man. The quality depends on if we have Roby or not. If Roby is gone, hes gotta be able to play. If he is back, a Duby Okeke type player would do.

If we have an open ship for Roby I would like to see us snag a good sit out transfer or just sit on it.

26 minutes ago, khoock said:

I dont have names but I would like a grad transfer gaurd. Doesnt have to be a super star but someone who can give us quality depth.

Also a grad transfer 4/5 man. The quality depends on if we have Roby or not. If Roby is gone, hes gotta be able to play. If he is back, a Duby Okeke type player would do.

If we have an open ship for Roby I would like to see us snag a good sit out transfer or just sit on it.

A Matz stockman type center would be a wonderful fit on this roster. Not a guy who has to see minutes every game but a guy who could get you 4 points 4 boards 2 blocks in 12 minutes of play type 

I really really think if they add anyone else at this point, that it's just grad transfers from here on out.  I want as many spots available for that 2020 class as possible.  We've made a lot of solid offers to a lot of solid players and, because of Hoiberg and his relationships, we might actually have a chance at landing a few of them.

24 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I really really think if they add anyone else at this point, that it's just grad transfers from here on out.  I want as many spots available for that 2020 class as possible.  We've made a lot of solid offers to a lot of solid players and, because of Hoiberg and his relationships, we might actually have a chance at landing a few of them.

I’d be happy with one more grad transfer. Then leave one scholarship for whichever comes first of Ntambwe/mid-year transfer/open for 2020 recruit (assuming Roby leaves). I think Ntambwe is gonna be a star wherever he ends up and I’d prefer it to be at Nebraska. 

41 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

I heard they offered Blackshear but there has been radio silence since, for both actually. I still think landing someone like either of them gives NU a reason to think next year could be special.

Both have their name in the draft if I remember right. Would be a pipe dream.