Looks like it might be about time to welcome Doc back!

PimpMario

Does anyone know if Doc's defensive philosophy has evolved with the analytics?  It seemed like the one weakness of his defenses when he was here previously is that we gave up a lot of uncontested threes(partially due to size issues and the need to double constantly).  Given how much Hoiberg hates long two pointers on offense, I am hoping that the defense funnels shots to those areas.   It is obviously easier to prevent yourself from taking long two pointers than it is to force others to take them.  I guess what I am trying to say is I hope that Doc's defense doesn't leave shooters open from 3 too much.  That won't work that well in this league.  

Edited by royalfan

2 hours ago, royalfan said:

Does anyone know if Doc's defensive philosophy has evolved with the analytics?  It seemed like the one weakness of his defenses when he was here previously is that we gave up a lot of uncontested threes(partially due to size issues and the need to double constantly).  Given how much Hoiberg hates long two pointers on offense, I am hoping that the defense funnels shots to those areas.   It is obviously easier to prevent yourself from taking long two pointers than it is to force others to take them.  I guess what I am trying to say is I hope that Doc's defense doesn't leave shooters open from 3 too much.  That won't work that well in this league.  

Bad News: No

image.png

Good News: Virginia (Bennett) and Texas Tech (Beard) traditionally finish in the lower part of 3pt allowed defense.

In the one year that Doc was at Iowa St their 3pa% was middle of the road.

If I had to guess the difference in the results for Sadler vs those two guys it's that the other guys have the length/quickness to pack the lane but also close out on 3pt shooters.

As far as our conference goes I wouldn't say overall the B1G is a 3pt heavy conference though that can vary year to year.

21 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Bad News: No

image.png

Good News: Virginia (Bennett) and Texas Tech (Beard) traditionally finish in the lower part of 3pt allowed defense.

In the one year that Doc was at Iowa St their 3pa% was middle of the road.

If I had to guess the difference in the results for Sadler vs those two guys it's that the other guys have the length/quickness to pack the lane but also close out on 3pt shooters.

As far as our conference goes I wouldn't say overall the B1G is a 3pt heavy conference though that can vary year to year.

yikes

• 2 months later...