Looks like it might be about time to welcome Doc back!

PimpMario

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Arguably, yes. Arguably no. Hoiberg is the 4th coach post-Nee, so there are only 3 candidates in the running: Collier, Doc and Tim Miles.  Collier definitely wasn't the guy.  Miles had better individual seasons and was clearly the most successful recruiter.  Doc had some moments.  Doc certainly had the best record against in-state rival.  Miles and Collier sported identical 1-6 records while Doc broke even at 3-3.  But I'd say it's a tough argument to make that Doc was more successful than Miles overall.  I wouldn't make that argument.

I would take the Sadler side if we want to have a round table debate.

Shoot, let's just go all out and fill out the entire basketball staff with living ex-coaches.  What positions would match up below?  Remember, we need strength coaches, student managers, video, etc.  They don't all have to be assistants:)   Anyone want to give a try?

Moe - 
Danny-
Barry-
Doc-
Tim-

11 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Doc’s best team would get squashed by the ‘14 & ‘18 Miles’s squads...

While that is true on paper...i would also not be surprised if Doc's best team beat Miles's best team.....

Doc's team were often competitive with teams that that nobody expected.

Doc could coach circles around Tim, and Tim could recruit circles around Doc.  Both weaknesses did them in as HC here.  

Can you imagine how good we would be if Tim was on this staff and all he had to do was recruit?  Yikes.  

That's how big of a deal it is to get Doc, though.  He had a few memorable games during his tenure where he rolled out some mindblowing gameplans.  And... this is huge and probably a big reason why he's so loved... his teams NEVER got outworked on the court despite their deficiencies in talent.  Ever.  

It's really about the best staff I could possibly imagine coaching here.  

I think what Miles group was able to do during the Big Ten tournament and the NIT was reminiscent to Doc's teams of the past.  Outgunned, outmuscled, limited bench still found a way to go out with max effort...  Need a way to merge that higher skill and athleticism with max effort to be successful here.  It's like we had one or the other here for the last 7 years... 2014 and 2018 were magical years where they came together... 2015 and 2019... crashing short of expectations.  Doc's teams seemed to have the effort but not the higher end athleticism and skill... Tim's... higher skill and athleticism but at times the effort was inconsistent.  Hopefully this is what we see with Fred's coaching staff an ability to merge the two... and hopefully adding Doc helps get to that level.   

It would be interesting had Miles been at Nebraska during Doc's timeline and Doc during Mile's timeline.   I do believe you would be saying that Doc could recruit circles around Tim.....I think we are underestimating the challenges that Doc was facing in terms of facilities and the transitioning to the big ten.

I think Doc was devastated when he was let go, because he saw the opportunity with his coaching ability to be able to start attracting better talent.

9 hours ago, LK1 said:

Doc could coach circles around Tim, and Tim could recruit circles around Doc.  Both weaknesses did them in as HC here.  

Can you imagine how good we would be if Tim was on this staff and all he had to do was recruit?  Yikes.  

That's how big of a deal it is to get Doc, though.  He had a few memorable games during his tenure where he rolled out some mindblowing gameplans.  And... this is huge and probably a big reason why he's so loved... his teams NEVER got outworked on the court despite their deficiencies in talent.  Ever.  

It's really about the best staff I could possibly imagine coaching here.  

Like Marcus Perry checking Kevin Durant?

This is an Apples/Oranges debate, but let’s not forget Doc had ONE All-Conference player, Alec Maric, who was already on the squad (yes Doc re-recruited him) . But, I’m absolutely THRILLED he’s back, making  this a Dream Team staff poised to do special, special things right out of the gate. Especially if they can land Cook & Green!

40 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

Winning basketball games and seasons.

Would he have won with the schedules Miles played?  Most likely not with the talent he had.

Love that he will drawing up our defense as he is very good at that.  Love that he doesn't HAVE to be the guy bringing in the talent.  Think our new staff is very salty!

2 hours ago, PimpMario said:

Winning basketball games and seasons.

Doc had zero winning conference seasons. Miles had two.

That written, I'm excited to see what Doc can do for us an the primary defensive assistant. It seems to be a perfect fit for a great guy who's passionate about Nebraska basketball.

I think coach Sadler coming back to NU says a lot about how special a place Nebraska and Lincoln is.  What kind of a leader coach Hoiberg is. Also speaks to the character of coach Sadler.  Welcome back to the family coach Sadler, I know you're going to give it your all to DONU (for a second time ?).

Make sure the vending machines have plenty of Mt. Dew at Hendricks. ?